Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read it numerous times that CF bikes become weaker over time. If this is the case, what is the useful and safe lifespan of a CF bicycle?

Or is this simply not true?

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking.. But geez man, I read posts on here that indirectly hint to CF becoming weaker and dangerous... Especially from the Ti crowd.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A carbon bike does not become weaker over time..... no worries.

IMO there is one concern with carbon bikes and it is small, but real. If you put a good deep scratch into certain of a carbon bike it can lead to failure over time. Not "WILL" but "can". Once some fibers are broken or compromised this can lead to the adjacent fibers doing more work and carrying more than their intended load which can lead to failure of those which in turn leads to more and so it goes.

This is pretty rare frankly. If you are the kind of guy who puts your bike in the trunk of your car and then piles lumber on top of that you might want to stay away from carbon. If you are the kind of person who knows the status of your bike and keeps an eye out for damage and take reasonable care of a bike I think a well built carbon bike can last longer than you need it to.

dave

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
I've read it numerous times that CF bikes become weaker over time. If this is the case, what is the useful and safe lifespan of a CF bicycle?

Or is this simply not true?
You may have read it numerous times, but that doesn't make it correct.

They recently found an ancient carbon fiber bike in an Etruscan tomb in Italy. A little cleaning and lubrication - still rideable. One of the guys on Ceramica Flaminia-Bossini Docce is riding it in Tirreno-Adriatico this week.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,952 Posts
yater said:
There are at least 20 other threads on this.
The general consensus of which being, that CF bikes are prone to explode without warning when exposed to sunlight...this just recently made the news today-there's a thread in The Lounge about it.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Room 1201 said:
The general consensus of which being, that CF bikes are prone to explode without warning when exposed to sunlight...this just recently made the news today-there's a thread in The Lounge about it.
I think you're fine as long as you don't smoke while riding them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Mine exploded one night on the rack. I woke up to a pile of carbon powder and all of my parts scattered on the floor.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,952 Posts
terry b said:
You're telling me that the odds of a guy spontaneously human combusting on a bike are higher when smoking, versus riding a CF frame?

Pfffffffffffft. Shows how few bikes you've owned.

I bet Kerry Irons and C40 will even back me up on this.

·
Registered
291 Posts
terry b said:
That's tough to do when you're laying down this kind of power. I carry a fire extinguisher to put out my crank and rear hub.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
You're also fine as long as you assemble them with a $1000000 torque wrench.. Or are at least smart enough not to over tighten. CF doesn't fatigue like aluminum and other metals.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Room 1201 said:
You're telling me that the odds of a guy spontaneously human combusting on a bike are higher when smoking, versus riding a CF frame?

Pfffffffffffft. Shows how few bikes you've owned.

I bet Kerry Irons and C40 will even back me up on this.
Some motorist threw a ciggie butt at me once and I was left standing there with the bars in my hand and the pedals attached to my feet and a big pile of black dust where the bike used to be.

I still smoke while riding steel, but I've stopped when riding CF, aluminum (melts) and titanium (think Roman Candle).

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
terry b said:
Some motorist threw a ciggie butt at me once and I was left standing there with the bars in my hand and the pedals attached to my feet and a big pile of black dust where the bike used to be.

I still smoke while riding steel, but I've stopped when riding CF, aluminum (melts) and titanium (think Roman Candle).

What about magnesium?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Just give your CF bike a fresh coat of UV resistant wax before every ride. You'll be fine.

·
cantankerous old man
121 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
I've read it numerous times that CF bikes become weaker over time. If this is the case, what is the useful and safe lifespan of a CF bicycle? Or is this simply not true?
The answer is 42

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
What about the ones that melted at the Furnace 508 a few years ago. Left riders by the side of the road staring at $3500, charcoal gray puddles.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts