Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a good time of year for a cyclist; it isn't cold anymore but it isn't hot yet. Every day has a little more daylight than the last. For the first time in months everything is green and after a long winter we are excited about riding.

We are so excited that we decided to do a long commute.

We got up just before 5 and were out of the house before the sun rose. We were heading South along the Potomac River on the Mount Vernon Trail (IMHO one of the greatest MUTs anywhere). We were treated to a beautiful sunrise as we left Georgetown and by the time we reached Mount Vernon the sun was awake and shining its love down on 2 happy riders.

What a beautiful morning (now if Miss M would only slow down so I could get a decent image.....).

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We turned around at Mount Vernon and took a side excursion through Fort Hunt Park before heading back to the city.

The Mount Vernon Trail runs between the Potomac River and the George Washington Parkway. There is quite a contrast between the peaceful quiet river and the traffic/parking lot that is the GW Parkway. One of these days I am going to count the cars we pass while riding on the trail-might be hard to keep track of those big numbers.

We crossed the 14th Street Bridge and split up; Miss M works on the Hill, I'm downtown. I was only in traffic for the last mile or so and let me tell you is was quite a change from our fast and calm ride to work on the trail.

Think anyone will be able to steal my bike?

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For lots of reasons afternoons around here are crazy. Traffic is worse than in the morning, tourists are everywhere (try counting the folks hanging out at the Lincoln Memorial) and the MUTs are nuts.

Right out of work there was a traffic jam that I had to try and weave my way through. Miss M and I met right where we parted in the morning. After a lap of Hains Point we headed along the (very crowded) DC side of the river to the (very crowded and crazy) Capital Crescent Trail. After a couple miles of the trail we took a shortcut to the roads preferring to deal with autos rather than MUTters.

In the morning the MUTs get a good deal of use around here but they aren't crazy. Folks in the morning seem to be regulars and do things like ride in a straight line, stay to the right and warn before passing. The only runners out are regulars too and are just as predictable as the cyclists.

In the afternoon MUTs are flat out nuts. It is so bad that you have to treat everyone as a potential hazard. The things you see.......they are not fun places to ride. Anyway in the afternoons we stick to the roads and lesser trails as much as we can.

Besides when we are on the roads we get to pass all those cars.

Anyway we were heading up to Great Falls and the C&O Canal Tow Path. At Old Anglers Inn we left the traffic behind and got on one of the most beautiful sections of the C&O Canal. Quite a treat for a couple of traffic weary riders.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man the canal was nice. Quiet and peaceful; what a change from all commuting craziness going on all around the area.

We rode just past Great Falls before turning around and heading home (with just a few detours (we like to play in the hills) on the way). After we came out of the hills traffic was still not moving. I can't even imagine how many cars we must have passed during our day of commuting. It was a joy to be out riding which always makes me wonder, "Why are all those folks out driving?"

With one last stop at Safeway where Miss M loaded us down it was up the hill to home and a nice relaxing dinner.

Since we finished well before dark and really didn't start all that early or ride all that hard Miss M is already talking about adding a few extra miles to our commute Friday (200K anyone?).

Ride your bike.

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Nice :)

Beautiful pictires MB1.

I really like the one with the dirt trail and fence line on the left.

Thanks for keeping me motivated to keep riding. :)

· Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
I gotta agree about the MVT -- I was just on it this past Sunday -- it is definitely the nicest MUT I've ever ridden. Surprisingly though, it wasn't that crazy or crowded. I hooked up with a guy who was 35mi out off of the WO&D and he ripped my legs off all the way up to Mt. Vernon.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Beautiful pictures as always...

I need to get a smaller camera. My Chrome bag is pretty full, yet I always get this irresistable urge to take pictures when I read this message board.

I like the idea of a longer commute. I might get up earlier tomorrow and crank out some extra miles on the way into work.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I am a bad person. I rode through the middle of a bunch of joggers on the MUT this morning at around 5:15 am. I patiently sat behind them for dinging my bell and politely saying "on your left". Not a single person would move over, just kept taking up the entire path. I eased up and just started riding through them as careful as possible, the whole time being verbally abused until I got the front of the group. The runners in front immediately moved over to the right and apologized. I asked them to talk to the rest of their group. There must have been 20 of them. As a 21 year Navy vet, it is really hard to take verbal abuse from amateurs. I am capable of using curse words in combinations that the average guy on the street has never even thought of. It is hard to be nice sometimes.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bigbill said:
.... I patiently sat behind them for dinging my bell and politely saying "on your left". Not a single person would move over, just kept taking up the entire path.....
You need one of them boat rescue air horns that can be heard from 6 miles away. Scare them right out of their pants.

I have been tempted quite a few times lately which is why I try to stay off the MUTs in the afternoon..

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
bigbill said:
I am a bad person. I rode through the middle of a bunch of joggers on the MUT this morning at around 5:15 am. I patiently sat behind them for dinging my bell and politely saying "on your left". Not a single person would move over, just kept taking up the entire path. I eased up and just started riding through them as careful as possible, the whole time being verbally abused until I got the front of the group. The runners in front immediately moved over to the right and apologized. I asked them to talk to the rest of their group. There must have been 20 of them. As a 21 year Navy vet, it is really hard to take verbal abuse from amateurs. I am capable of using curse words in combinations that the average guy on the street has never even thought of. It is hard to be nice sometimes.
That would have been a ride report worth seeing!

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Chris H said:
That would have been a ride report worth seeing!
I haven't had much luck with taking picture on the morning commute. Sunrise is about 5:50 am right now and I am showered and in my office by then. The flash might just be an "attention getter".

· Registered
3,129 Posts
You need a banner that reads "If you were on bikes like we are, you'd be home by now!" that you could unfurl and stretch between the two of you while you're riding past that "parking lot".

I'm always impressed at the options for great rides that you have there...I'm just never sure it'd be worth living/working in/around D.C. ...be a great reason to visit, though!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.