Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a truly bad ass friend.

He turned 73 last Thursday...... had 14 miles on his bike this year...... rode 200K brevet last Saturday which wasn't all that flat.

A few years back he contracted food poisoning on his way to Sebring FL where he was entered in the 12 hour UMCA event. After consuming only saltine crackers and Gatorade for two days, he managed to complete 123 miles.

Len, you're the man!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Badass for sure. Not as old but, a friend of mine just finished 5th at the BWR. He is 47 years old! Old guys do rule sometimes...lol

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I'm 68y/o but I do not rule anything. However I am going to do the 100K Tierra Bella next Saturday. I did the 100 mile TB in 1982 and was going to pin the patch to my jersey and see if anyone notices that I rode it before they were even born.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
916 Posts
He turned 73 last Thursday...... had 14 miles on his bike this year...... rode 200K brevet last Saturday which wasn't all that flat.
What's the intended importance of him having only "14 miles on his bike this year"? Do you mean that he wasn't training at all, yet managed to ride 200K?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
that's not a big deal. 47 isn't remotely old unless ur living in the early 20th century. Chris Horner won the Vuelta a Espana at 44!! That's kicking ass.
Didn't Jens set the hour record at 44 in 2014?

And to the OP, that is completely freaking awesome!

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's the intended importance of him having only "14 miles on his bike this year"? Do you mean that he wasn't training at all, yet managed to ride 200K?
Yep, exactly.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
that's not a big deal. 47 isn't remotely old unless ur living in the early 20th century. Chris Horner won the Vuelta a Espana at 44!! That's kicking ass.
Horner was 41 when he won the Grand Tour. He is 44y/o now and as far as I know has not been a contender in any of the races this year racing on Team Lupus. Maybe he will be at the Tour of Utah again this year or maybe not. I do not know.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I am young and I am 47.
My theory is guys that have been athletic and otherwise really healthy their entire lives view aging and age different than someone who has been sedentary but become active at a relatively old age because they're comparing different perspectives. The former is comparing their current image, performance, etc to a younger version who was not as fat, wrinkled and could recover twice as fast. He will be more likely to say he is old(er). The latter is comparing a thinner, leaner more active self to the unhealthy, fat, diseased former self. He will say he is young(er).

Perspective is everything. I'm going to line up at Dana Point this week end in two races. A masters 45+ and then the Pro 1/2. When I race masters I don't think about age so much other than wishing I could slow the aging process and not letting some old dude beat me. When I race the P 1/2 I have a constant voice in my head reminding me I'm racing with kids my kids age.

So when I wrote my friend finished 5th at BWR at 47 it was out of respect. In part due to his age being relatively old not young.

·
wut?
504 Posts
Perspective is everything. I'm going to line up at Dana Point this week end in two races. A masters 45+ and then the Pro 1/2. ...When I race the P 1/2 I have a constant voice in my head reminding me I'm racing with kids my kids age.
You sir sound like another Bada$$!

I have a friend and riding partner who is also another significant 'older'. He won the USAC National Masters Criterium 75+ last year and the 70+ Road Race two years before. He tells me he may be taking a crack at the RAAM relay next year.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
You sir sound like another Bada$$!

I have a friend and riding partner who is also another significant 'older'. He won the USAC National Masters Criterium 75+ last year and the 70+ Road Race two years before. He tells me he may be taking a crack at the RAAM relay next year.
Thx but I'm no badass. I merely line up with some hard core guys which is nothing special. Winning or just getting on/near the podium, on the other hand, is really another level.

70+ guys are really inspiring! Doing RAAM is so cool and respectable I am in awe! Good for him! I hope I can keep my health going like some of these gents...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts