Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally gone totally roadie. Off road riding lost it's appeal, 120 miles round trip drive to the nearest fun trail was getting really old and road riding just out my door the mtb is gone. Sold after the Iceman in November. Replaced with a Specialized Roubaix gotta love carbon.

Anyone else getting burned out on the MTB scene?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
BikeGeek said:
I've finally gone totally roadie. Off road riding lost it's appeal, 120 miles round trip drive to the nearest fun trail was getting really old and road riding just out my door the mtb is gone. Sold after the Iceman in November. Replaced with a Specialized Roubaix gotta love carbon.

Anyone else getting burned out on the MTB scene?

Nahhhhh......Gotta love both bikes. Though I have much more in terms of good trail than it sounds like you have. For me having both bikes gives the right variety and helps me keep more interested. Sometimes I want to get out the road and others I want the woods.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I know what you mean...

Bought a base Roubaix last year and the MTB started to hang in the basement right away. I still do enjoy getting out on the MTB, but the convienence of road riding makes it tough. I did get out yesterday on the MTB and hope to get out more often this year. I'm blessed to have road and trail right out my front door. The only problem is the trail isn't the most challenging so the MTB can get a bit boring after a while. I'm like you and don't cherish the idea of 100km round trips to get some good MTB'n in. That ends up chewing up a good chunk of a day and finding the time to do that gets pretty tough.

·
Registered
602 Posts
hung up my MTB in '93

I devoted myself to road riding a long time ago after starting out as a passionate mountain biker (at the hight of red and blue annodization). But in 2001 I built up a sweet hardtail with the hopes of supplementing my roadie routine with some trail time. A Schwinn Homegrown pro hardtail with full XTR was my muse. The lure of shredding up the trails was always tempered by the usual MTB buzzkills; lack of trail access, travel time, shorter maintainance intervals, broken bones. They all took their toll and now the closest my Schwinn comes to the trails is the patch of grass I have to ride over to get to Noah's bagels in Chatham.

·
Registered
896 Posts
cross training

in my personal opinion, there are huge advantages to cross-training the 2 sports.
MTB - pure power on technical uphills, focus on full pedal motion - pulling up/over rocks-roots, etc. slow cadence hill climbs at above AT levels till you want to puke
Road - raw mileage, endurance, heart rate work, cadence, etc

I plan to race both this year

mr meow meow said:
I devoted myself to road riding a long time ago after starting out as a passionate mountain biker (at the hight of red and blue annodization). But in 2001 I built up a sweet hardtail with the hopes of supplementing my roadie routine with some trail time. A Schwinn Homegrown pro hardtail with full XTR was my muse. The lure of shredding up the trails was always tempered by the usual MTB buzzkills; lack of trail access, travel time, shorter maintainance intervals, broken bones. They all took their toll and now the closest my Schwinn comes to the trails is the patch of grass I have to ride over to get to Noah's bagels in Chatham.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
National Forest 1 1/2 mile from my front door, so no

I did mainly road stuff last year, because I committed in spring to do a September century and it had been a long time since I'd done one. Looking forward to MB this year, though--I live about a mile and a half from the Toiyabe National Forest in the Sierra, which links to the Tahoe NF and THOUSANDS OF MILES of trails, fire roads, neat little valleys hardly anybody sees and all kinds of stuff. Two years ago, when I was MBing quite a bit, I saw two bears (or the same one twice) and a mother bobcat with a kitten. Wildflowers should be blooming in about a month....

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Not a chance. There's way more trail opportunities compared to road rides near me so the road bike is more of a way to extend my overall bike season when the trails get snowy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Let me qualify myself first. I have been an occasional recreational rider most of my life. Started as a kid on a bike spending hours on the saddle just tooling around. Sometimes taking a long ride just to go someplace. As an adult I road a road bike irregularly. When the moutain bike became more mainstream I bought a big-tube aluminum fat-tire bike before there were suspensions. I rode that a few years then bought a new road bike because where I rode it was mostly on paved rural roads anyway and the road bike made more sense.

As an older adult I bought a high-end road bike set up for me realistically with a more-upright stance yet still a relaxed road geometry. I enjoy riding the road and going long distances. I don't have a desire to get a heavier bike to go into dirt or gravel. This is just me.

I'm still a recreational rider but I ride a lot more often now. I do it for all the benefits that people talk about, health, well-being and such.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
The two main trails we ride are around 80 miles round trip. I'd probably reconsider if I had to add another 40 miles. Just last year a new trail was added to a local park within minutes of my house. It's not real long and doesn't have a ton or relief but it's technical and fun. Having decent trails nearby is definitely a must to keep up interest in mountain biking.

I don't see me hanging up my mountain bike any time soon. In fact, I just bought a new single speed and am really looking forward to riding it a lot this year. Mountain biking is fun as is road riding. Anything with two wheels, and a crank is ok with me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
always be both for me...

i started riding mountain bikes after being a dirt bike rider. So my original passion was the dirt. Then I discovered the road and that it was way more fun than I ever thought... A good suffering kind of fun. Now I have come to love both and find that doing both keeps my passion for riding at a healthy level through diversity. And each in turn helps me with the other. I do agree that easy access to trails makes a difference. If I had to drive a couple hours just to get to a trail I would probably ride the mtn bike less.. But still ride it.

Plus, I just went dual suspension this year. Holy crap what a difference. Makes me want to ride the dirt even more.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Although road cycling is a lot easier, I still love to do the mt. biking thing. I'm going to be building up some sort of 29er SS this summer and can't wait.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Same thing with me... just sold mine..

just got rid of my Giant NRS so i could afford a custom roadie... never thought that would happen, just not into riding off road anymore... kept my rigid singlespeed bridgestone so if i do get the itch i can still do some smaller rides, but its full roadie for me now...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not yet

In November 2004 I had a pretty big crash on my mountain bike. Because of that I rode my road bike pretty much exclusively last summer. When fall came, I got the itch to hit the trails again. I am now trying to convince my wife that I need a full suspension bike. I am finding that as I am getting older I am riding more on the road but I am not quite ready to give up the MTB.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The drive was just one factor. The trail I was talking about is 18 miles long and technical but it gets old after a while and the next nearest good trail is 90 miles each way. The other part of it is the whole scene was getting kinda old. Too many people that treat the trail like it's a closed race course at all times, passing in the bushes, yelling line on an uphill, like they can't wait 30 seconds. What atracted me to mountain biking was the exploring aspect and there really isn't any of that left for me and where I live there are tons of narrow farm roads with smooth pavement and probably 1 car every 30 minutes or so if that. It was fun but I'm just burnt on the whole thing now.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I gotta have both.

My road bike is and will always be my main ride. But I still enjoy getting out in the woods and the peace and quite of an mtb ride. I am building a 29er hard tail at the moment. I think it will solve some of the things I did not like about my previous mtb.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The only reason I ride roadie is so I can kick more ass on the trails. It so much fun to take some young punk(25 to 30) that talks a bunch of smack and just ride em into the ground. That's why I suffer on the road. My full XTR blur is going no where but into the woods. I love all my bikes, but nothing is more fun than ripping through the forest, just missing the trees. Guess that's why I love skiing too!!!

Enjoy the ride!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can't get enough of either one..

Sorry to hear about those that don't have access to good MTB riding. I'm 1/2 mile from one of the largest undeveloped city parks in California with dozens of miles of great x/c MTB riding. Getting more rides in every week means getting up at O dark thirty and meeting 1-4 other riders at 6am (year round...lights needed in winter) to get a quick 10 miles in before work. By the time we're finished we have done 1,300 feet of climbing and the decending that comes with it. Mud in winter, dust in summer, I love it all.

The best thing about riding both bikes is that when I get tired of one, road or MTB, I get into the other. I am also a long time runner and it is much the same between running the roads and trail running.

Swift65 it looks like we are Blur brothers, love me Black Ano with full XTR!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Debating the same. I have a Turner XCE gathering dust. Only reason why I keep it is a bunch of close friends I met on mtbr still ride dirt.

It's easier getting on my road bike and ride around NYC.

I'm not sure what to do with the mtb but a new Ridley is calling my name.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts