Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last several weeks I've had a very annoying creaking coming from my bike, doesn't matter if you're sitting or standing but it tends to happen more at lower cadences. I finding managed to do some work on the bike today to figure out where it was coming from and I'm 99.9% sure it's coming from the rear wheels which is a Velomax Vista with a campy cassette, I swapped out the wheel and the noise is now gone. The put the Vista wheel back on and it's back, so it's definitely the wheel. But I can't figure out why it's creaking, here's what I've done:

1. Swapped out the QR skewer
2. Cleaned and lubed contacts of wheel hub, skewer, and frame drops
3. Lubed spoke contacts on both rim and hub as well as where valve comes through rim
4. Checked spoke tension (by hand)
5. Checked cassette cap (already tight)

What am I missing? It still has not gone away and I'm out of ideas on what else could be causing it. For now I've switched back to the other wheel and it seems to be fine but I would eventually like to continue using this wheel.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I had a similar problem with my bike. Maybe your pawls need a little grease...or replacement..mine started with a little clicking noise, then a loud clicking noise, then almost a knock. Drove me nuts..nice and quite now...

I'll have to add that after the click was solved, a few days later it started clicking again. When I got home I noticed my saddle had slid way back on it's rails and the clicking was from the saddle rails. I had just changed saddles.

clicks, creaks, squeals, hard to trace...it could be coming from somewhere else and the wheel swap was a coincidence..my rear Ksyrium SCC SL had a creak when I was climbing. I had tried everything same as you. I broke a spoke, replaced it creak gone.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Cassette?

DRLski said:
For the last several weeks I've had a very annoying creaking coming from my bike, doesn't matter if you're sitting or standing but it tends to happen more at lower cadences. I finding managed to do some work on the bike today to figure out where it was coming from and I'm 99.9% sure it's coming from the rear wheels which is a Velomax Vista with a campy cassette, I swapped out the wheel and the noise is now gone. The put the Vista wheel back on and it's back, so it's definitely the wheel. But I can't figure out why it's creaking, here's what I've done:

1. Swapped out the QR skewer
2. Cleaned and lubed contacts of wheel hub, skewer, and frame drops
3. Lubed spoke contacts on both rim and hub as well as where valve comes through rim
4. Checked spoke tension (by hand)
5. Checked cassette cap (already tight)

What am I missing? It still has not gone away and I'm out of ideas on what else could be causing it. For now I've switched back to the other wheel and it seems to be fine but I would eventually like to continue using this wheel.
It could be the cogs of the cassette creaking against the freehub body. Pull them off and lightly coat the splines of the freehub with grease. Also could be at the spoke crossings, so a drop of oil on each cross might solve it. If one of those two doesn't work, then my next step would be a total hub overhaul, with grease on all metal to metal contact surfaces.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I've also tried chanting and burning incense as well as sticking pins into dolls.

Didn't help much tho.

·
Registered
902 Posts
DRLski said:
What am I missing? It still has not gone away and I'm out of ideas on what else could be causing it.
Sounds like the rim has possibly developed a stress riser/crack around one of the spoke holes that is not yet large enough to effect trueness but is making noise! I have had this happen with two sets of Easton Tempest II alloy clinchers, the first was rideable but the second was big enough to effect lateral true of the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.