Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
5. Where are the batteries situated?
They are positioned under the fuel tank.

I'm sure its a safe system but that would always be in the back of my mind.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
firstrax said:
5. Where are the batteries situated?
They are positioned under the fuel tank.

I'm sure its a safe system but that would always be in the back of my mind.
that one shocked me as well- wasnt there a better possible location?

these cars are designed to fly appart during crashes as to dissipate energy so that the driver doesnt get hurt, so, again, why under the fuel tank?

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
Looks pretty cool but knowing F1 the rules for using it would change ever year or so and you'd have to bring your car in to have it changed out for the latest revision. Of course you'd have to pay Bernie E. in order to use it.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
529 Posts
lol. Michael Schumacher and Ferrari effectively killed that sport. The FIA put so many regulations up just to put an end to that dominance that now it looks like it's riding a slippery slope to becoming nothing more than the euro version of CART. What's the point?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
F1 rule changes are effin retarded as of late.

Driver with the most wins gets the championship? Sure, make the season over by the time half the races have taken place perhaps.

It's gettig to a point of ridiculousness now. Why not just make them drive soap boxes?

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
That's cool. I've long thought all cars should have something similar - why waste all that energy during braking?

A cool racing concept (IMHO) would be to have cars with no engines, only the KERS, tow them up to 100mph at the start and then see who could complete the most laps.

Yes, this is my idea of "cool". Yes, I'm a nerd.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
isnt this kinda like the prius? i know the hybrid cars dont jolt that much hp, but getting juice from braking is the same, right? it seems in teh F1 case it is used more as a "nos"
button, though.

and seeing that the battery was under the fuel tank freaked me a bit, too. they also mentioned the might put the cells under the drivers legs. that might be a safer option.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Intersting. I think they should make them full-up electric only. That way, advances in technology would really be able to translate into consumer markets.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
529 Posts
do you understand how fast that would kill the sport? unless they figure out how to make changing a fuel cell suspensful and feasible, who's going to watch those things zip around for 20 minutes on the outside if they were maintaining comparable speeds (is that even possible?) and sputter out OR watch them drag their wheels around a track at a completely unexciting speed? It's bad enough they wouldn't be making any noise to begin with. The point of F1 has always been that those cars are at the top of speed oriented technology and are able to make a spectacle. Granted the recent changes in past years has introduced quite a bit of suck to the sport, electric motors would ruin the essence of the sport as it has existed since its inception. Further in the current state of the automotive market I don't believe any manufacturer would put up the money for R&D of such machines. Perhaps someone could suggest a parallel E1 (appropriately one step back in the alphabet) to Ecclestone anyways.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
2cflyr said:
that one shocked me as well- wasnt there a better possible location?

these cars are designed to fly appart during crashes as to dissipate energy so that the driver doesnt get hurt, so, again, why under the fuel tank?
Most race cars use fuel cells to encapsulate the fuel and prevent it from causing a fire or explosion. This also shocked me because they're probably using Li-Ion or some other lithium formulation and the thing with lithium-based batteries is that the more energy they can retain and release back under use the more volatile they are. Sure, there are safe chemistry lithium-based batteries but they don't have the high MAh or have high internal resistance so they don't release the energy quickly.

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
Squidward said:
Most race cars use fuel cells to encapsulate the fuel and prevent it from causing a fire or explosion. This also shocked me because they're probably using Li-Ion or some other lithium formulation and the thing with lithium-based batteries is that the more energy they can retain and release back under use the more volatile they are. Sure, there are safe chemistry lithium-based batteries but they don't have the high MAh or have high internal resistance so they don't release the energy quickly.
I'm going to guess that Ross Brawn, Charlie Whiting, Sam Michael and all the other designer and officials have a bit of a clue on how to design a safe F1 car and that the battery placement has been fully investigated.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I'm sure those folks know a thing or two about building safe and really fast cars. No doubt they know a heckuva lot more than I do about the matter but it still leaves me scratching my head on this one. I've read far too many reports about battery explosions with various lithium based batteries to consider them safe to use so close to a fuel source. I'm paranoid about putting two CR-123a batteries into my SureFire flashlight for fear that I'll get a "violent venting event" one of these days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts