·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Not so hidden memo from shimano:

No more STIs and MTB derailleurs

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I don't mind the cranks. They look to be a darker gray than the 6800 cranks, which would be an improvement IMO.

I'm curious about Hydraulic (DI2) shifters and calipers, and well.. the obvious question... Cost! :)

Safe to say this will be the 6900 series?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Safe to say this will be the 6900 series?
Not safe. Maybe the 8000 series or something. They're starting to get all mixed up now.

My guess is that they'll have levers just like Dura-Ace. Same size/shape more or less no matter what brakes or shifting you choose. Same with everything basically. A copy of what Dura-Ace is doing with heavier materials and you know the deal.

I think it looks quite similar to what is out now, the 6800 stuff. Not a huge departure in color or design. Looks like Ultegra and Dura-Ace are going to be looking quite similar.

Some lighter cassettes for Ultegra would be nice.

6800 is about to reach epic value levels soon.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I thought it was pretty damn good when I built up my 50th birthday present to myself last year, may have to get another.
Where's the dry-humping emoji when you need it? :)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Not safe. Maybe the 8000 series or something. They're starting to get all mixed up now.

My guess is that they'll have levers just like Dura-Ace. Same size/shape more or less no matter what brakes or shifting you choose. Same with everything basically. A copy of what Dura-Ace is doing with heavier materials and you know the deal.

I think it looks quite similar to what is out now, the 6800 stuff. Not a huge departure in color or design. Looks like Ultegra and Dura-Ace are going to be looking quite similar.

Some lighter cassettes for Ultegra would be nice.

Well, given that IIRC it has taken 12 months or so from a Di2 announcement to Shimano actually having enough product produced to fulfill OEM wants and start sending stuff to retail distribution channels for consumers to actually buy...."soon" probably is less "soon" and more "later". ;)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
I have a build I was about to start, but I think I might wait until prices drop on the 6870 stuff.

They're not going to get a whole lot lower for a while...and there's not going to be 2017 Ultegra stock probably until 2018.

There's been sales on most Di2 jewelry bits (Ultegra 6800, DA 9000, and XTR, as well as un-tiered) on Performance Bike and Jenson USA since New Year's BTW that are now starting to run out IIRC. It is part of how my unpavement bike came in well under budget.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
FSA Powerbox alloy is running around $600 with rings at most UK sites with the carbon version around $850; Power2Max type S is around $900 with rings.
I didn't think those are dual sided really - they create dual sided information based on crank position but it's a single strain gauge not dual.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,451 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
I thought the only reason/time MTB ders could work with STIs was R785...which worked because the R785 were unbranded/tiered components.

Did S let Ultegra 6870 etc work too? Last I knew it didn't or only kind-of-sort-of depending on the config.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,451 Posts
I thought the only reason/time MTB ders could work with STIs was R785...which worked because the R785 were unbranded/tiered components.

Did S let Ultegra 6870 etc work too? Last I knew it didn't or only kind-of-sort-of depending on the config.
Oh OK. I wasn't sure what you were driving at. Now I understand.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.