Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was pretty much what I thought of. I have a Deore triple on my MTB and I like it a lot. Wouldn't mind a 105-level or better road triple.

I wonder if the folks at Bicycling get whiplash yawing from standard to compact to mid-compact to 1x to, presumably in a forthcoming issue, supercompact.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Wouldn't a cassette starting at 14 or so make more sense ?.

The 11 whatever cassettes are really racing cassettes. Lowering the range with a csssette means no need for a different shaped front derailers or worrying if the F derailleur can be lowered on a braze on mount

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I don't think it's going be a big thing with roadies. 50/34 is about as low as most would go.

But for an adventure/gravel bike that might see some technical terrain, It might work well.

In fact, I sent an email to FSA last summer asking about sub compact in search of more ideal gearing for my Norco Search. At that time they told me they have had enough interest in this from customers that they would be bringing some options to market, and well.. here they are.

I haven't decided for sure if I'm going this route or not. For me, plan B is to upgrade the shifting to Di2 and go with a XT rear derailleur and larger cassette and stick with the 50/34 on the front.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
They've been around for CX and touring forever.

Article is wrong BTW. Shimano has a 46/36 crank for a while in Hollowtech. Was on sale on Performance Bike this winter actually.

·
Proud luddite
7,223 Posts
I predict the next big thing will be fuzzy sheepskin covers for saddles. They are already being spotted in the pro peloton so in 5 years they will be used everywhere. I'm cashing out my retirement account to invest in these....it's a sure thing!

Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle wheel rim

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
remember when disc braking for road bikes was gonna be T.N.B.T?

look how that turned out....

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I've got a nice little collection of 50t chainrings on the wall. I swapped them out for 46t rings. 46/34 with a 12-30 cassette in back works well for me. But no one will ever accuse me of being a strong rider, either.

I would like to do the same for a 10sp Tiagra crank I have, but I can't find a 46t ring to fit Shimano's 4-bolt pattern.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
I've got a nice little collection of 50t chainrings on the wall. I swapped them out for 46t rings. 46/34 with a 12-30 cassette in back works well for me. But no one will ever accuse me of being a strong rider, either.

I would like to do the same for a 10sp Tiagra crank I have, but I can't find a 46t ring to fit Shimano's 4-bolt pattern.
For$85USD...just get a new crank:

Shimano 105 CX50 Double 10sp Chainset Black | Chain Reaction Cycles

Performance has had the same crank in silver for a long while:

Shimano CX50 Crankset

Other makers have had 446/30 cranks for a while that work with roadie FDs. Thinking of a46/30 for my gravel/off-road bike build this spring.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts