Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, every year someone finds reasons to complain about the Cycling coverage. I personally like the fact that I can watch the tour at just about anytime during the day but every year some of you guys find ways to gripe about it. Here is your chance.. gripe away... Maybe we can get Thien to send this thread to VS and they will fix whatever is bothering you..

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
With a DVR to fast forward through the pre-race stuff, the pre-recorded bits and the commercials, it's tolerable but still the amount of commercial time is really ridiculous and I don't know why they have to completely cut away.

If you ever watch any foreign feeds of bike races, I would place the cut aways to commercials at easily a tenth of what it is on VS.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,319 Posts
rollinrob said:
OK guys, every year someone finds reasons to complain about the Cycling coverage. I personally like the fact that I can watch the tour at just about anytime during the day but every year some of you guys find ways to gripe about it. Here is your chance.. gripe away... Maybe we can get Thien to send this thread to VS and they will fix whatever is bothering you..
There is cycling race coverage on Versus?

In every 60 minutes of "TdF Cycling" programming:
~35-40 minutes of commercials....
-6 minutes of annoying cut-scene intro/exit clips,,,,including the "Tour of Shame" silliness 6 or 7 times
-6 minutes of interviewing some rider or coach, not really saying anything apart from "my form is good....I'd like to do well in the Tour"
-10 minutes worth of actual coverage of the race, mainly scenery shots with annoying ad banners eating up the whole bottom half of the screen otherwise Butt-Cam.......lots of "Well Paul, during that last commercial, it looks like we had an accident....it looks like things got interesting during that last commercial break.....Op, stay with us-we'll take a short break (after 2 minutes of actual race coverage)..."

Off to Cycling.tv I go.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I get to see daily coverage of the TDF. I'll take the bad.

Last year I watched the tour on Rai while stationed in Italy. The coverage was constant through the stage. Just leave it on and check it out occassionally and then sit down for the last 40k.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I think the coverage has been fine. You almost have to use DVR though, because there are a tremendous amount of commercials, and I'm already tired of seeing the same bumpers and advertisements.

The last two days...they didn't interrupt the last 5k or so, which is when all the important action happened. To be truthful, these sprint stages could be boiled down to a 30 minute show...take 10 minutes or so for a recap, and show the last 20 minutes.

And as I recall, when we get to mountain stages, VS will show large parts commercial free, thanks to some sponsor. It's 10,000x better than nothing. I can't believe people in the US would complain. All US television is severely hampered by advertisements, and when you get a small channel putting out what is probably a good chunk of money for the Tour, well you'll get even more ads.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
rollinrob said:
I was actually remarking just a little while ago that they're doing a pretty nice job this year. I like Craig Hummer better a lot better than Al Trautwig (Of course he's no Bob Varsha but still an improvement). Bob Roll is behaving himself and acting like a grown up and a lot of the interviews and color pieces during the boring parts of the race are well done.

Yes, DVR is mandatory otherwise just tune in at approx 15k to go.

·
Darling of The Lounge
5,335 Posts
Bob Varsha

Sintesi said:
I I like Craig Hummer better a lot better than Al Trautwig (Of course he's no Bob Varsha but still an improvement)
I'm glad to see there's another person that liked Bob Varsha when he did some of the Tour commentary a few years ago. He knew his role and didn't pretend to be a cycling expert. Watching him call auto racing or comment during Barrett-Jackson is always a pleasure. He's one of the best in his field.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Retro Grouch said:
I'm glad to see there's another person that liked Bob Varsha when he did some of the Tour commentary a few years ago. He knew his role and didn't pretend to be a cycling expert. Watching him call auto racing or comment during Barrett-Jackson is always a pleasure. He's one of the best in his field.
That's funny, I've been following F1 religiously now for about 4 or 5 years. I think the first year I kinda got into it Speed had someone else doing the coverage, but basically it's been Varsha with Matchett and Hobbs the whole time. I recognized Varsha from the TdF coverage on OLN.

It started last season, and now this season I just can't stand him anymore. He's so melodramatic and have you noticed his death obsession? At least once per race weekend if not several times he'll find some way to tie in some death related fact (along with all the other meaningless little stats he throws out, which may be the producer's doing not his), about a driver or mechanic or track worker, etc.

It's actually gotten so bad (and I like Matchett and Hobbs), I've been thinking about trying to find some internet audio feed to see what else is out there.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,319 Posts
ajoc_prez said:
Dude, there are not 35-40 minutes of commercials every hour. You are hallucinating. My guess is about 20 minutes.
The ratio racing:adverts isn't even 1:1 probably (no way 2:1 as you suggest)--not until you factor in the last 15-20km and the awards/post-race bit.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
it just feels that way because they repeat the same 3-4 lame commercials. If I hear 'born from jets' one more frickin time I'm going to turn into that guy in the manchurian candidate..I saw a SAAB on the road today and had a sudden urge to drive it off the road....

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,319 Posts
stevesbike said:
it just feels that way because they repeat the same 3-4 lame commercials. If I hear 'born from jets' one more frickin time I'm going to turn into that guy in the manchurian candidate..I saw a SAAB on the road today and had a sudden urge to drive it off the road....
Good News for ya' then!

We're only at the end of Day 2....with how many more left of the same commercials/intro/exit bits? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Saab needs to change its advertising campaign. Seriously. The "Born From Jets" thing sucked two years ago, so it still sucks. They need to hire Danica Patrick and just show her driving around in a 9 3 convertible wearing just a bikini. I would not mind those commercials, and would probably do bad things to myself while watching them!!!!! Sex sells! Come on Saab, get sexy.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Let's say I agree to feed you three meals a day for the rest of your life, all the recipes you like, free of charge. Sounds good, right? So no matter how much I butcher your favorite dish, no matter how I overcook or undercook your food, no matter how wretched or bland it is, you will only ever thank me, right? You'll have no gripes, because you are so happy I am feeding you your favorite dishes, every day, for free. Hey, I'm doing you a favor, so keep your complaints to yourself.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.