Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

881 - 892 of 892 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,341 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
It was never designed to end the conversation (how could it??? this is RBR after all...). The thread was designed to prevent this topic from spilling over into every other discussion, which it was at the time. It's all right there in the first post. To be fair though, I am as surprised as anyone that this topic is still carrying on and that it has any fire left to it at all lol.
We have the Froominator to thank for the resurrection of this topic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i find the thesis that discs are bad on road bikes to be more convincing.

it's very lucrative for bike industry to push disc brakes, even though these bikes are inferior to rim bikes of the last generation. 400g is massively lighter on a high performance road bike.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #884
i find the thesis that discs are bad on road bikes to be more convincing.

it's very lucrative for bike industry to push disc brakes, even though these bikes are inferior to rim bikes of the last generation. 400g is massively lighter on a high performance road bike.

Both are good, both are bad too because there are pros and cons to any kind of brake system on bikes. Most of this though is humans finding reasons to argue with and label one another about another topic about which there is no true "right" answer so that they can prove how much smarter they are. The simple fact of the matter is you can have a lightweight exceptional bike with either brake type. You can have a fast bike with either brake type. You can have an aero bike with either brake type. You can have reasonably quick wheel changes with either brake type. Lots of people do all of these things at this point in fact. To argue anything else is silly. Just choose what you prefer and ride it. Share what you like about what you chose whenever and wherever you like, but why try to convince other humans that they are completely off base for liking a different brake type that works well enough for pros to be using it? (and yes pros are still using both brake types in pretty much every race). It just seems like banging your head against the wall and completely ignoring the reality about how much has changed since we started this thread just for the sake of it. If it still floats your boat, do you though.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,341 Posts
Both are good, both are bad too because there are pros and cons to any kind of brake system on bikes. Most of this though is humans finding reasons to argue with and label one another about another topic about which there is no true "right" answer so that they can prove how much smarter they are. The simple fact of the matter is you can have a lightweight exceptional bike with either brake type. You can have a fast bike with either brake type. You can have an aero bike with either brake type. You can have reasonably quick wheel changes with either brake type. Lots of people do all of these things at this point in fact. To argue anything else is silly. Just choose what you prefer and ride it. Share what you like about what you chose whenever and wherever you like, but why try to convince other humans that they are completely off base for liking a different brake type that works well enough for pros to be using it? (and yes pros are still using both brake types in pretty much every race). It just seems like banging your head against the wall and completely ignoring the reality about how much has changed since we started this thread just for the sake of it. If it still floats your boat, do you though.
It's called religion. Just like chain lube.

Reactions: SPlKE

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,341 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Chris Froome enters the fray, goes into detail with his case against disc brakes in his recent review of some Factor bike. He does not mention weight nor bike change times, however.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Oh, emmm, geee....if this ever happens.....I've got a great name for it. Call it a "motor" cycle. I mean, isn't that just the best name ever? Sometimes I amaze myself.
( On a side note, it is interesting that motorcycles originated from what was essentially an ebike back in the day.)

Reactions: Lombard

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
by that logic we can include bicycles powered by motors running on donuts and coffee as 'motorcycles' too. Like every 2 wheeled thing in your garage.

motor

mo·tor | \ ˈmō-tər \
Definition of motor
(Entry 1 of 3)
1: one that imparts motion specifically : PRIME MOVER

motor
adjective
Definition of motor (Entry 2 of 3)
1a: causing or imparting motion
b: of, relating to, or being a motor neuron or a nerve containing motor neuronsmotor fiber
c: of, relating to, concerned with, or involving muscular movement, or motor areas of the brain

·
Registered
27,342 Posts
by that logic we can include bicycles powered by motors running on donuts and coffee as 'motorcycles' too. Like every 2 wheeled thing in your garage.

motor

mo·tor | \ ˈmō-tər \
Definition of motor
(Entry 1 of 3)
1: one that imparts motion specifically : PRIME MOVER

motor
adjective
Definition of motor (Entry 2 of 3)
1a: causing or imparting motion
b: of, relating to, or being a motor neuron or a nerve containing motor neuronsmotor fiber
c: of, relating to, concerned with, or involving muscular movement, or motor areas of the brain
Right on!

As in "motoring along the flats." Until, that is, the legs and pounding heart tell the real story. And how far could the rider go on his 40# bike carrying that dead battery? No thanks. I'll take a cold fizzy Coca Cola Classic. If really bonked, a Snickers bar springs me back to life every time.

If battery bikes get more people out pedaling, it's a great stylistic adoption of the "cycling lifestyle" to save the planet, when "newbies" finally get strong enough to ride without battery assist. The electricity that charged the battery probably came from a coal or gas fired CO2 emitter.

There was a similar bike boom right after the OPEC "oil crisis" in the mid '70s. It came on the tails of running, and for me, facing mid life crisis at age 40, wreaked so many valuable benefits, the crashes and broken collar bones were a small price to pay. My ex, the same who filed for divorce after I squandered $1400 on the full Campy DeRosa I still ride, is now religiously riding a Georgina Terry. My daughter and her husband also ride regularly.

How about that, comrades? We're ahead of the game to health and fitness balanced on two wheels seamlessly integrated into mobility. I drive the car once a month to make it home before frozen fish thaws out, and once a year drive out west to visit family and friends. That's it. Bikes are so energy efficient. And great food is a negligible expense compared to gasoline.

881 - 892 of 892 Posts