Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it's gotten to the point where anything that's worth listening to is worth ripping at least at Apple Lossless. The result is a) I don't listen to anything I ripped at 128 kbps when I first got a 10 GB iPod, some of which is good music that I truly miss, but now can't even see past the sampling rate to give it even a cursory listen; b) I've been re-ripping things and culling the old copies, which is a colossal time waster when I have so, so much work to do; and c) I've now filled up a 160 GB iPod, which they don't even make anymore, with a scant 22,677 songs.

a) is the most depressing, I think, but b) and c) are not far behind. And switching away from the Grados for a bit won't help, I don't think, because my other options are M-Audio studio monitors, which sound good despite their amplifier hummmm, and Focal home-mades, which, if at all, are only space-constrained. What's to do? Give up on convenience and go back to CDs and records?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I do not understand what you're saying. So, here's a picture that might cheer you up.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
A good timely post.

I'm ready for some new phones to use at work. I need some isolation from noise since I have fairly noisy coworkers and equipment. I'm using Sony Noise Cancelling phones but they are worn out and still don't sound as good as my old standards Sennhieser HD525's. I'd like to have the quality of the Grados but I think I'd like better sound isolaton.

I'm currently looking at Audio Technica and Sennheiser noise cancelling as well as sennheiser 280s which use over the ear as noise reduction. My budget is <$125.00 and I don't want in ear phones such as the shures.

I can't audition any of these locally so I'm having to go by reviews and guesswork. How much isolation do the grado's give? Any other recommendations?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I actually have HD280's that I use to practice bass (guitar). A little more spouse-friendly than turning up an amp... They do a great job with bass. Pretty good with noise cancelling (I suppose I could make a spousal remark here) but I don't specifically have them for that.

Comfy (although not while wearing glasses, but which are), under a hundred bucks and sound great. Nice cans! (not kode)

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I travel with two pairs of noise cancelling Sennheisers, PXC300 which I use most of the time and PXC350 which I like a lot but are big. I really don't mind on the ear since ear-coverers often give me a headache. (Sadly, I suffer from Delicate Scalp Syndrome)

I'm sold on the brand, although I really couldn't be called a headphoneophile.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
529 Posts
I've been on a wav kick since before itunes was around. I used to not even get songs lower than 256kbps as anything else was too noticeably compressed. Since I got my Shure e500s it bothers me to listen to anything less than .wav on them.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
How does the noise reduction compare between the 300's and 350's. I'd love the 350s but they are out of my range. I'm a little leery of on the ear noise reducers like the 300's since my sony's are on the ears and they don't have the best reduction.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
I m a big fan of the Shure stuff. I got a pair of EC2's or maybe their EC3's I dont remember. While they were spendy I believe I paid something like 120 for them, they totally rock my face off. I ve listened to Sennheisers, and honestly I prefer the sound of my Shures. Just personal taste. And yes I ve been accused before of not having any!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Why not just rip everything you want at 320? I'm surprised anyone who would spend that kind of money on headphones did not do this in the first place. If you don't care about legality, you might find it's faster to download everything than to rip it. Another option is to rip/download everything in a lossless form (flac or apple lossless or whatever) for your listening pleasure at home and to also keep a 320br mp3 on your ipod to listen to on the run. I have not found this to be necessary - good mp3s sound fine to me, and I listen to almost all my music in that form, even though I keep lossless versions in my archive.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
get one of the external usb 1 terabyte drives that are now under $250. you can use that as your iTunes library, then just drap and drop to any old mp3 player as needed.

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
Creakyknees said:
get one of the external usb 1 terabyte drives that are now under $250. you can use that as your iTunes library, then just drap and drop to any old mp3 player as needed.
I've seen some for under $100. I paid $160ish for mine. I do the drag and drop thing.

To the OP,,,, Do you have any issues with your 160gb iPod? I get an audio drop out occasionally
in the middle of a random song or it'll lock up when I shut the car off and I have to reset it when
ikt won't play when I restart the car. Don't know if it's the iPod or the cable to my system.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
VaughnA said:
How does the noise reduction compare between the 300's and 350's. I'd love the 350s but they are out of my range. I'm a little leery of on the ear noise reducers like the 300's since my sony's are on the ears and they don't have the best reduction.

The 350's impart silence. The 300's impart near silence. Plenty good enough for me to drown out everything else and go to sleep with some quiet music on. I started with the 300's and moved up when I noticed all the other jamooks using those monsterous Bose NC phones. So I tried the 350's and found them nice enough. But I like the little guys better.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OldRoadGuy said:
I've seen some for under $100. I paid $160ish for mine. I do the drag and drop thing.

To the OP,,,, Do you have any issues with your 160gb iPod? I get an audio drop out occasionally
in the middle of a random song or it'll lock up when I shut the car off and I have to reset it when
ikt won't play when I restart the car. Don't know if it's the iPod or the cable to my system.
Nope, I don't really have any issues...save for what you cited, I guess: sometimes I get a second or two of silence, and it's random, as far as I can tell. I go in and out of thinking that it's a product of file size, because either a) I only notice it during really long, high-sample-rate songs or b) it only happens during those songs. I can't decide which. I've tried resetting it, and it either helped a little, or didn't help at all. Obviously, I'm not too peeved by and occasional two-second silence... Yeah, I wish it didn't happen, but at the same rate, it doesn't happen even once every time I use it. This iPod is the best iPod I've ever owned (generations 2-6) in every other respect - especially battery life, which I thought after the third gen. would just keep going down hill.

I have a 750 GB internal drive in my iMac, and a few external 250 GB 2.5" bus-powered Firewire drives. I'm not hurting for space off my iPod, but I like a) having it all at my fingertips and b) being able just to sync it all, all at once.

Grados are not noise-canceling, except insofar as you can turn them up stinking loud because their sensitivity is, as far as I've seen, unsurpassed. But they're basically as porous going in as going out: most everyone can hear what you're listening to, and you can hear most of what's going on around you.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,282 Posts
I've found that 320 kbps mp3's sounds just fine on my fairly high-end audio rig. It'd probably be fine on your Grado 'phones, as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts