Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after lots of debating, stops and sizing at several shops, I finally placed my order for my new cross bike. I had thought I was going to be going with the SOMA, but I just couldn't get the Gunnar Cross Hairs out of my head. Long story short, the Gunnar is what I did go with. So without going into the long boring hows and why's of what happened, happened, here is what the order looks like:
Frame-Gunnar Cross Hairs
Fork-Gunnar
Crank-Shimano Tiagra FC-4503 (triple)
Cassette-Shimano Deore LX 11-32 (9 speed)
Rear Derailleur-Shimano Ultegra
Wheels-CXP22’s
Shifters-STI Shimano ST-6600
Brakes Shimano Canti’s
Saddle and seat post to be determined
Color-Charcoal Silver (current special of the month)
Total (including assembly, rack, headlight, taillight, toe clips, and new California sales tax) $2470.00
And now for the 2 hard parts. The 1 month wait for the frame to arrive, and then cutting the check.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I have a Soma, and its nice enough, but 5 years later I probably should have sprung for a Gunnar.

Couple notes on your build list:
- ST-6600 is a 10 speed shifter, but you are planning on using a 9 speed cassette? The ST-6510 is 9 speed (or the off-series R600, if ST-6510s are not available).
- 32T is well beyond the Ultegra RDs 27T max sprocket capacity. It might still work, but it will be very dependent on your frame's hanger. I would confirm with Gunnar or another owner that this combo will work.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I worked carefully with the LBS on the setup. I may just have the part number wrong. I'm running the Tiagra road crank (50-39-30) with a Deore 11-32 MTB cassette. This set is being done based on the type, and places I ride. I wanted a mix of MTB and road gearing. Because of some the hills I play in, I still wanted a MTB "granny" gear. The Ultegra is 9 and 10 speed compatible.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I worked for a touring company that used the Road triple/MTB 11-32 combo on their fleet and guests raved about it. However, they used XT RDs.

I have not heard that Shimano 10 speed STIs are compatible with 9 speed cassettes. :skep: I guess if the LBS recommends it, they can eat the cost if they are wrong.

·
elmar
265 Posts
a 10 speed sti can work with a 9 speed kassette ,if the shifitingcable is fixed on the other side of the bolt at the derrailleur.
i rode 2 years with that.

a short road derraileur works with 38/46 and a 11-32 teeth cassette .in the last years id worked on 15 different bikes in our team.

·
Registered
584 Posts
What made you choose the gunnar over a soma? I am thinking about a steel cross build and the soma seems like a pretty good deal that could still be race worthy with the right fork and components.
tia

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Gunnars are made in the U.S., and have higher quality materials, workmanship, and paint than Soma. But of course you pay for it...not into the "boutique" levels, but significantly more. You also get more options with the Gunnar. Choice of colors, for example, plus you can get fully custom geometry for pretty reasonable price.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Excellent choice!

I've got 2 Crosshairs, and I've never regretted purchasing either one. One has well over 50,000 miles on it in just about any conditions you can imagine (anything from long distance touring to cx racing to endurance road events).
Post some pics when you get it built up!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vanjr said:
What made you choose the gunnar over a soma? I am thinking about a steel cross build and the soma seems like a pretty good deal that could still be race worthy with the right fork and components.
tia
Kind of hard to put my finger on just one thing. Part of it was, in all my research I couldn't find any negative comments related to frame performance or quality with the Gunnar. The SOMA had really good comments overall, but a few minor negative comments related to paint quality etc. Also I ran into some problems being able to get the options I wanted in the frame size I want, with the SOMA 42. Seems as if you stray out of the more conventional sizes, you start getting fewer options. Apparently SOMA is still having trouble keeping up with demand so their focus is on where the biggest demand is, which is mainstream sizes. Finally the bike shop that carries the Gunnar really impressed me. I just felt really comfortable dealing with them. Not that the SOMA shop was bad, I just really liked the "mojo" of the shop that carried the Gunnar. When I did a little checking on Yelp etc. it would appear I'm not the only one that had that impression of the shop, very positive marks. The shop also doesn't charge for assembly, provides free fitting, and after you've had the bike and ridden for several hundred miles if you need the stem or seat changed they will do it gratis. They just want to get you a bike that fits you, makes you happy, and you will ride comfortably.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts