Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one rolled into the Coast Guard Commissary while I was getting gas for the truck. I ooooooooooh'd & ahhhhhhhhhhhh'd and the guy told me the sales price.

1996 Heritage Softail Custom with about $3K chrome and custom work on it. Just under 17 K miles. I got it for $12 K, but the "book" says more like $ 18 K. The seller is a retired Coast Guard Engineer (ship's mechanic) and fastidious about his machines. *S* Mint condition and highly polished.

Picked it up Tuesday, April 4. So today is April 6 -- I've been running about three tanks of gas a day in it.

Yeah, I'm still riding the one with pedals . . . :D :D :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The helmet on the back is for passengers -- and then not for the "long rides."

I tried a full face -- I can't breath in them, and they make me claustrophobic. The helmet I have is 3/4 and comes around the sides of the jaw almost to the front. I have a face shield for the wind too, along with the windshield on the bike. Full leathers, boots gloves.

I just finished 16 hrs of motorcycle safety instruction -- mostly on the bike. This is the umpteenth bike I've owned -- "not my first rodeo."

But thanks for the safety tip. I agree with full coverage, but I can't wear them. Safer to have a helmet that doesn't distract me from paying attention to the road.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pavedroad said:
Did you pick up a new bacon cheesy tendercrisp while you were there?
Interesting you should mention that --

Despite "Super Size Me" -- the documentary about McDonald's and the guy who ballooned from 180 fit lbs to over 220 in less than a month from a steady diet of Mickey D's.

Burger Rex now has "stackers" -- where they stack on the lard in multi-pattie burgs. The bacon triple is a heart attack waiting to happen. Three patties, three slices of cheeze, and three strips of bacon. Add a King Size fries to that package and your fat content runs up into the 150 gram range. BK won't show you totals on their "nutritional menu list." Instead they itemize and you have to do the math -- which they figure you can't because that's why you eat there in the first place.

I do a single Whopper, no mayo, no cheeze, and the Tubo coffee. Noooooooo, I don't want fries with that, nor pie neither. And that's pretty much food for the day, a salad when I get back home to balance out the fibre, etc.

-- But it's a "road trip" and the sign was part of the local color.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Blazin' Saddles said:
I do a single Whopper, no mayo, no cheeze, and the Tubo coffee. Noooooooo, I don't want fries with that, nor pie neither. And that's pretty much food for the day, a salad when I get back home to balance out the fibre, etc.
Wuss.

Real men don't care about calories or fibre.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts