Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a possible cause to this "tightening" or ache that I have had for 10 months or so.

When I start out and get to my first part of a ride or trainer session that requires some effort (a good warm up or first hill) , I get this ache in my left outer quad.

I can still pedal, just not as hard.

If I stop or pedal easy for a few minutes, it goes away and the rest of the ride (mostly) is at full power for that leg.

If I go for a long ride, that leg does seem to wear out faster.

If I go for a run, it happens then too.

I happens on my mtb also.

I've had no injuries to that leg or back. No bike changes. In fact, I tried my old shoes and 3 different saddles just to see. I've messed with saddle and cleat position and there's no fix.

Maybe a muscle imbalance of some kind?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Does it hurt after your ride as well?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it hurt after your ride as well?
No. Not anymore than my right leg which is just the usual tired and sometimes sore the next day. Standard stuff for going on a good ride:D

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
It's possible that you have a small muscle tear that keeps getting re-injured.
This is def possible. I was fishing for whether it hurts goin down stairs, which often tells you it's your IT band.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is def possible. I was fishing for whether it hurts goin down stairs, which often tells you it's your IT band.
I will try the stairs test today, but I don't really notice anything. That IT band is certainly a possible cause. I'm not that flexible.

To expand on the possible IT band issue. Would massage help that?
I ask because back in Aug I recd some massages as gifts. I had the gal pay a lot of attention to that left quad area. In that time, my aching during warm up seemed to be less.

I'm willing to try working on the IT band. Do you have any good links on IT band work, or is should I just rummage through YouTube?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I will try the stairs test today, but I don't really notice anything. That IT band is certainly a possible cause. I'm not that flexible.

I ask because back in Aug I recd some massages as gifts. I had the gal pay a lot of attention to that left quad area. In that time, my aching during warm up seemed to be less.

I'm willing to try working on the IT band. Do you have any good links on IT band work, or is should I just rummage through YouTube?

I don't want to be a downer but I don't think there is a lot you can do. I'm not sure if you can open the book I attached, let me know. I'd say marginal credentials for the author but references are supplied if my memory serves me, it's been years since I read it. People will say you can do foam roll, massage stick, twist up like a pretzel and hand from a chandelier but there isn't much evidence any of that works and none works for me.

That said, it doesn't sound right, IT band issues aren't subtle.

https://www.painscience.com/tutorials/iliotibial-band-syndrome.php?id=683902

·
Registered
3,284 Posts

When my IT band was tight, I felt the pain in my knee because it was causing my knee joint to move unevenly. After I started doing the stretch, it improved. Your pain doesn't seem like IT band issue I've had.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Try looking through mwod stuff (youtube vs the pay site). It is like going down the rabbit hole but it seems ortho care is such a blunt instrument that you might as well try some self care. If you can get past the hyperbole, there are some nuggets. Most of us spend most hours OFF the bike, the idea that the bike is the problem vs lifestyle, is a distraction. It might just magnify things a bit.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I feel like I get a lot of IT relief from foam roller and stretching. When I don't do those two things, I get weird pain in my outer quad, hip and at times, my knee.

I also think massage helps everything. I try to got to my MT once a week but she concentrates more on my back and neck as that's where I seem to have the most issues.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I find that pre ride stretching and about 2 or 3 miles of easy warm up riding helps quite a bit. Post ride stretching and a gradual cool down makes a huge difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts