·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
What the Hell is going on
5,148 Posts
Quadrophenia

Great clip Daddio. I'm a big Who fan from way back when. Saw them once on their first "official" last tour (unfortunately, my tour version had Loverboy as the opening act instead of the CLASH).

What song is that? Kinda sounds like "The Real Me" from Quadrophenia.

I know your also an Elvis Costello fan. Would you happen to know where I can find the bass tabulature for "What's so Funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding?"

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JaeP said:
Great clip Daddio. I'm a big Who fan from way back when. Saw them once on their first "official" last tour (unfortunately, my tour version had Loverboy as the opening act instead of the CLASH).

What song is that? Kinda sounds like "The Real Me" from Quadrophenia.

I know your also an Elvis Costello fan. Would you happen to know where I can find the bass tabulature for "What's so Funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding?"

Not sure exactly what song it is. I guessed the Real Me as well, but I dunno.

So far as the tabs go, check these out:

http://www.bassmasta.net/c/costello,_elvis/110325.html

There is a big ordeal going on with the music industry cracking down on tab sites. Pretty lame, but a lot of sites have pulled down all their tabs, which makes a lot of songs hard to find. That one, www.bassmasta.com is still up and running. I'm not sure about how correct those tabs are though, as I've never played through them. I've found that most tabs are junk anyways, but they get me in the right area of the fretboard and I can put it together from there, generally. Lemme know how they work out. If they're correct enough, I may have to teach myself a new song :D

joe

·
off the back
15,583 Posts
i'm as big a fan of what Entwhistle did as the next guy, but that was just wanking.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
sorry for the hijackage Joe

but more good bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qugrKBv-WN8&search=victor wooten

do you end up waiting for like 5 minutes or more for a 4 minute video to load? what settings can I change on my computer to minimize this?

I liked the Entwhistle video a lot by the way. Eminence front is one of my favorite songs and I've always liked the who. Also I'd never really searched youtube before. Lots of stuff on there. In looking for some Mike Watt stuff I came across a video of Mike Watt, Stephen Perkins, and John Frusciante pulling some nice tubes(maybe not all of them...), but the video stopped downloading after that and now I can't get it to load at all.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
You can't be a punk if you don't love the Who. And you can't be a bass playing punk and not love the OX. You gotta love a bass player with such an attacking style and does it with fingers, no pick. The Who - A Quick One and The Who Sell Out are my favorite Who albums.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
but more good bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qugrKBv-WN8&search=victor wooten

do you end up waiting for like 5 minutes or more for a 4 minute video to load? what settings can I change on my computer to minimize this?

I liked the Entwhistle video a lot by the way. Eminence front is one of my favorite songs and I've always liked the who. Also I'd never really searched youtube before. Lots of stuff on there. In looking for some Mike Watt stuff I came across a video of Mike Watt, Stephen Perkins, and John Frusciante pulling some nice tubes(maybe not all of them...), but the video stopped downloading after that and now I can't get it to load at all.

Wooten is the man. IMHO, the best bassist alive today, and up there for best of all time along with Jaco. Michael Manring and Marcus Miller are up there. But in terms of pure madness on the bass, Wooten takes it home, imo.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
what's great is Victor can still be seen at pretty small bars at least in some places (like Columbus, Oh)

Yeah, absolutley.

I had a friend who saw him at some tiny venue where the power went out and they had to evacuate everyone from the place. Everyone was all bummed out that they were going to miss the show. Then Wooten came outside with a tiny practice amp and a mic and a bass and played for everyone in the parking lot, letting people sing along and everything. They just made a circle around him and he went at it. What a guy :)

joe

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I used to do a lot of taping. Only had the power go out once. moe. in santa barbara 9/23/97. its a small bar the band got on the main floor a candle was lit and everyone formed a circle around. vinnie the drummer played a vodka box, and toy instruments were used. recording can be found here (and streamed live). the acoustic songs are #5 thru 10. http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=25886#files moe. is a great band, especially to see live.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Great stuff Joe. From Rollo's post, is Ox no longer living?
Cheers, Wayne

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Roger Daultries brother drives a tour boat out here in Oahu. It runs from the Hilton Hawaiian Village to the submarine ride. He looks just like him, the fifty something chicks dig him.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Wooten is the man. IMHO, the best bassist alive today, and up there for best of all time along with Jaco. Michael Manring and Marcus Miller are up there. But in terms of pure madness on the bass, Wooten takes it home, imo.
joe
Nope. Oteil Burbridge is the man.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
JaeP said:
I got Oingo Boingo on that tour--probably better than Loverboy, but not by a long shot. I was so pissed! I went mainly to see that clash tho the Who put on a good show.

//Was the Clash off smoking doobies or something? Seems like that happened to a few points on that tour

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Antonio_B said:
Nope. Oteil Burbridge is the man.

Burbridge is an amazing bassist as well, but I'd take Wooten over him. Once you get into ERB's (6,7,9, even 12 string basses) Brubridge and Al Caldwell probably take the cake (as I've never seen Wooten play more than a 6 string). But for what can be done on a 4 string, Wooten can't be beat these days.

i was at NAMM this year and the year before... I saw someone (not him) playing this bass. The dude tore it up.

joe

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
the Ox

was part owner or somehow involved in the China Club in Aspen CO. He was there one time when we played, was staying in the same hotel. Quite the character, if memory serves me right he had a bottle of Chivas, a couple bottles of Dom or Crystal, a case of beer (I think it was Fosters) and an 8 ball delivered to his room DAILY.

The China Club folded when it's main owner died of a cocaine induced heart attack with a 15 year old hooker in the room. hmmm I think I see a pattern here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts