Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for and trying different clincher road tyres for awhile. Trying to find the perfect balance that could potentially be used for endurance riding plus racing (longer road races on rougher roads). I know it is a hard mix. But it is a bit of a gamble having these really fast tyres in these road races as if you flat your race is pretty much over (we don't have team cars or neutral service in Australia). But on the other hand a slow tyre can harm your chances too.

I found that tyres are usually have about 6 attributes
wet weather traction, puncture resistance, durability, cornering traction, low rolling resistance (speed) and suppleness (normally found in tubulars).

The problem is that you can't have it all ie. a tyre with good puncture resistance and durability is usually not a fast nor a supple tyre.

The closest balanced tyre I got was probably the Vittoria Rubino Pro's (2010 model). So far so good.

The Conti Gatorskins were okay too but terrible in the wet and not too supple.

Actually the most supple & perhaps fastest tyre I ever rode was a Hutchinson Gold. Felt like a tubular. But poor protection & durability.

Michelin Pro 3's not too good protection wise, nor too supple or durable. About to try the Conti GP4000's and Vittoria Corsa's (clincher models) for criterium racing but suspect durability/protection a problem.

I know it is very subjective, but which tyre do you guys feel has the perfect balance for training and longer road races (or endurance and speed).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Still haven't found that perfect balance. the few that I have tried have been biased to one advantage or so. I guess in the end you would go for which advantage you would prefer over the others and it wouldn't be exactly balanced.

Currently on conti 4 seasons. I don't race them though.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Give the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp a try.

Had good luck with them but like with all tyres and they seem to have a reasonable balance of most of the desired attributes.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
split 'em up

you're nearly asking for the impossible hear with grippy, fast, supple, AND durable and tough.

the things that make a tire supple, do not make it tought!

That said, I think I'd go with a very "fast" tire for the front, like a Vittoria Corsa, which also has a ton of grip, and a "tougher" tire in back. I get five rear flats for every one front one, and I'll wear through two+ rears per front.

Companies like conti, schwalbe, etc, that tried to SELL front-rear differential tires do not seem to have done very well, but I think it's mostly because it's confusing at the retail level.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good idea Argentius. Something I never really considered, yet has an "of course!!" factor. So you'd put the Corsa up front, but what would you put in the rear that has the balance between protection and grip,suppleness/speed.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Bridgey said:
I know it is very subjective, but which tyre do you guys feel has the perfect balance for training and longer road races (or endurance and speed).
Conti GP4000S would be my pick.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
riding on GP4000S for 500 miles so far and not 1 flat or sidewall cut.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Speaking for myself, I've felt improvements in grip, suppleness, and rolling resistance by going with a 25 over a 23 sized tire.
So, if that works for the OP, are there any 25c tires that offer good durability without being overbuilt?

I miss my 25c Pro2 Races.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't wait to try Vittoria Corsa's but don't they have poor flat protection. Great for a Criterium but a long road race on varying grades of bitumen, not so sure.

Perhaps Corsa up front, Conti GP4000s or Vittoria Rubino Pro or Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp in the rear. Should give the perfect balance.

What is the Conti GP4000s like for flat protection vs the other 2 I mentioned. I know it has speed.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have 1200 trouble free miles on my current set of Corsas. I'm not sure I'll get too many more out of them and plan on replacing the rear at 1500, probably with a Conti 4000 (I just want to try something new). But not a single flat or other problem to speak of so far. They are also wearing evenly without many cuts/scrapes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have been running the Vittoria 320TPI 25mm tires for about a year. They ride fantastic, plenty of grip, etc. The problem is they look at road debris and flat. I have never had as many flats as I have in the last year. Many are cuts just large enough to make the tire disposable. BTW, the GF and I have both been running them and we both have the same issue. Not sure where to go next....maybe Michelin PR3 in 25mm?

·
Registered
477 Posts
gearguywb said:
I have been running the Vittoria 320TPI 25mm tires for about a year. They ride fantastic, plenty of grip, etc. The problem is they look at road debris and flat. I have never had as many flats as I have in the last year. Many are cuts just large enough to make the tire disposable. BTW, the GF and I have both been running them and we both have the same issue. Not sure where to go next....maybe Michelin PR3 in 25mm?

I wonder if the 320 Corsas are more susceptible to cuts and flats than the 290s, which I'm running, because again, I haven't (knocking on wood) has a problem with mine after 1200 miles. I'm going to try to get to 1500, at which point I'm going to call myself lucky and replace them.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
For wearability I go with Michelion Krylions or Vittoria Zaffiro's, I got 25k on one Zaffiro but only 8k on the other (I do rotate my tires). For an overall combination with performance I'd go with Vittoria Rubino Pros. For general road rides I'd go with Zaffiro's or Zaffiro Pro's, good in wet. Pro's are folding tires.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Bridgey said:
That's a good idea Argentius. Something I never really considered, yet has an "of course!!" factor. So you'd put the Corsa up front, but what would you put in the rear that has the balance between protection and grip,suppleness/speed.
I haven't tried every one out there, people do say good things about the new Contis -- but if it were my bike, probably either a Rubino Pro or a Michelin Krylion.

On my personal bike, I just race on Corsas (or occasionally something else) and train on Krylions, but I'm too lazy to fuss with differential tires.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Vittoria Corsa's are a great race tire but they are so very thinly designed (purposely) that you will wear through them in no time. After 2 crits, a 15km ITT and a 60km road race I actually have large chunks of the tire coming apart. I would be shocked if I had more than 250km on those tires.

As far as durability and training, go with GP4000 as they last forever. I still am running the same pair of 25's after 8000km and they still look very good. Honestly you really have to buy a tire that fits what your doing. If you are just a everyday rider, go with durability, but if you are a hardcore racer, go with raw performance.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Isn't the GP4000 a performance tyre? Sounds like a pretty good balance (especially for the back). How much slower would the be versus the corsa's.

I'm thinking speed it would be: Corsa, Pro 3, GP4000
Puncture protection & Durability, GP4000, Pro 3, Corsa

1 - 20 of 39 Posts