Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost in all of the drek about doping is the phonak helmet shuffle! First they had Catlike's weird creations. Then Giro Atmoses. Then this thing: it's badged Giro, but what is it?

Edit: if it's a 2007 Atmos, it's ugly.

· Banned
2,843 Posts
soulsurfer104 said:
i'd say it's a 2007 Atmos. check out the carbon "ribs", the shape of the side vents, the shape of the centerline vent, and the curve of the bottom of the helmet.
Giro ionos actually.

· Banned
2,843 Posts
Argentius said:
I've never heard of that one. Giro's website hasn't got it yet, either. Hrm. New for '07? Still ugly. Of course, all helmets look weird. But the Atmos was the least bad IMHO.

No, it's some old thing they are bringing out for the tour.

· Registered
4,459 Posts
Argentius said:
I've never heard of that one. Giro's website hasn't got it yet, either. Hrm. New for '07? Still ugly. Of course, all helmets look weird. But the Atmos was the least bad IMHO.
Any guesses as to whether it will be more or less than $200? With no Lance associated with it, will the rich still feel the need to upgrade?

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Argentius said:
Lost in all of the drek about doping is the phonak helmet shuffle! First they had Catlike's weird creations. Then Giro Atmoses. Then this thing: it's badged Giro, but what is it?

Edit: if it's a 2007 Atmos, it's ugly.

It has visor holes!!!

GAPERRRR! :23: (i've always wanted to use that emoticon)

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Giro: Two new helmets will be unveiled at the Tour. The Ionos, a road race helmet, will be tested by riders from Discovery, Phonak and Rabobank. They'll no doubt be impressed by the 21 vents and the protection offered by Giro's new In-Molded carbon-fiber reinforcement system, which the company expects will help the Ionos meet Consumer Product Safety Commission crash standards. Also, a few riders will time-trial in the new Advantage 2 aerodynamic helmet, which will be offered for sale in the U.S. for the first time, as Giro says it has finally been able to combine elite-level aerodynamics with CPSC-level safety. Availability: Advantage 2, later this fall; Ionos, not yet determined. giro.com

I like it!

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Giro: Two new helmets will be unveiled at the Tour. The Ionos, a road race helmet, will be tested by riders from Discovery, Phonak and Rabobank. They'll no doubt be impressed by the 21 vents and the protection offered by Giro's new In-Molded carbon-fiber reinforcement system, which the company expects will help the Ionos meet Consumer Product Safety Commission crash standards. Also, a few riders will time-trial in the new Advantage 2 aerodynamic helmet, which will be offered for sale in the U.S. for the first time, as Giro says it has finally been able to combine elite-level aerodynamics with CPSC-level safety. Availability: Advantage 2, later this fall; Ionos, not yet determined. giro.com

I like it!
I am SO buying the Advantage 2.

· Registered
171 Posts
SplijinX said:
Cyclingnews.com has a short article on it as well. The Discovery colors looks nice methinks. Also a picture of their new TT helmet.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/tour06/tech/?id=/tech/2006/features/tour_giro_ionos
If those carbon bits actually serve a purpose other than "for the looks only" painting over them could make this a nice looking helmet. Now it's just plain ugly. CF can be beautiful but here it certainly isn't, sort of breaks up the looks of that helmet. Unless of course it's all about bragging.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
NOTE TO GIRO: given that you lose most of your sales due to the fact that your helmets don't fit half the cycling population, why don't you come out with a model that offers 2 shapes, one for round (r) and oblong (o) shaped heads. you would need 6 sizes: S,M,L, each in (R) and (O) shapes. We really don't need one more cool vent or a shaving of another 10 grams.

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
It has visor holes!!!

GAPERRRR! :23: (i've always wanted to use that emoticon)
All the better to hold a visor, my dear :)

Seriously, does no one else ride when the sun is low? I had to go out and buy a Spin Cycle hat to wear under my Pneumo because it doesn't have visor holes in the version I bought. Sure, I look totally cool now- cool helmet, cool cycling cap, (I just hang around the starting line in my cap talking to chicks, explaining that I'm too fast for this race) but I'd like the option of a visor no matter how uncool it looks.

· limit screwed
807 Posts
Yes, Bell-Giro, now a part of Easton after an aquisition earlier this year.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The CF is structural, whether or not they are trying to show it off.

I saw an Atmos-equipped rider take a hard hit, bounce, and hit again. The bits of foam and shell were basically dangling from the CF "skeleton" of the helmet. If they weren't there, I think the whole lid would've exploded on the first hit.

There may be another way to do this besides CF, I don't know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.