Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone riding in The Plane Great Ride this Sunday (March 3rd)? I just signed up for the 67 mile route. It will be my first time riding this event and I just wanted to see how many on this forum are planning to ride in it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
i am planning on it. 67 miles, i think. gonna be cold.
And windy! The 67-mile route takes you out on what regulars refer to as the 'Anderson loop' which gets progressively more hilly the closer you get to this historic little town leaving the biggest rollers to come as you leave Anderson on the return trip to Richards.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And windy! The 67-mile route takes you out on what regulars refer to as the 'Anderson loop' which gets progressively more hilly the closer you get to this historic little town leaving the biggest rollers to come as you leave Anderson on the return trip to Richards.
Sounds like fun. I just picked up my ride packet today at Urban Bicycle Gallery and a set of knee warmers since it will be a little cold when we start. This will be my first time riding in that area. How are the roads?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I rode that 2 years ago and took the anderson loop and it was very windy that day. I almost couldn't finish. If you go long, see if you can detect the "anderson wall" approaching anderson.

Most of the roads are good but past richards, you take a turn on some very narrow and sort of bumpy park roads. Very peaceful. Once you turn back southbound on a main highway, fm149 I think, watch out for those big "duelys" pulling trailers. they are hauling ass and don't seem to see a cyclist. I got run into a ditch that day (no injuries tho).

Plane Great Ride 67 mile route in Anderson, TX | MapMyRide

I didn't realize it was this weekend or I would have ridden. Might still get up early and go.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i did the 67 mile route. really a nice ride. the weather was not nearly as cold or windy as i was bracing for. everything went great 'cept for two things. 1. dropped my left glove into the porta potty at anderson, 2. bonked really bad about two miles from the finish.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was down from the Dallas area visiting in-laws, so there was no better way to get away than this ride. Did the 67 mile route. It was a great ride. Finished with a 16.7 mph avg, which is pretty good for my fat butt. Great roads and really enjoyed the route. Also, very well organization and support all day. Highly recommend this ride for folks next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.