Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I came back from a ride and developed an annoying creak on my pedal. I looked in my handy "Bicycle Maintenance and Repair 5th edition" (excellent book, and NO I don't get a kickback :) ) which recommended two things:
1) tighen the pedal/crank connection
2) add some grease to the crank spindle

Well... the white lithium grease did the trick! I'm not sure why (any ideas?). I have a Truvativ Elita triple crank (ISIS bottom bracket) if that matters.

Thanks,
Satisfied once more :D

·
Slowpoke
73 Posts
The grease probably lets the crank slide a small amount farther onto the splines. Tighter fit = less wobble, less creak. Even if the pieces move slightly in relation to each other, they will slide instead of bind at some point in their travel.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
A splined crank/bottom bracket does not work like a square taper. Splined units bottom out on the bottom bracket stop unlike square taper which have a friction fit between the tapered spindle and the non-tapered square hole in the crank. Squeaking from a splined BB may be from the rubbing of the splines against each other or against the stop and grease would eliminate the noise but it doesn't allow the crank to slide farther onto the splines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts