Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am starting to discover the downside of my time being my own, and having a lot of money saved.

I've started to fantasize about travel. I mean, apart from no new money coming in to replace what I'd be spending, what's to stop me?

I'm getting up to speed on my front-end coding, and will be doing some freelance work soon, so I sure hope that makes this easier. It's hard to see a picture of someplace nice, or a cooking show about Spain, or read Alex's Florida thread and not think, "F*ck it. I should just go there for a few days."

Maybe I should take a couple of days and go visit my folks. Just because I can.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
If you've got the $ saved, go for it. By the time you get over you're travel jones and your $ are gone, the economy should be better and you can find a job and start saving again.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jd3 said:
If you've got the $ saved, go for it. By the time you get over you're travel jones and your $ are gone, the economy should be better and you can find a job and start saving again.
My wife would probably not appreciate me spending all my savings, nor would she appreciate me going somewhere nice while she's stuck running her business.

But I might go see my folks, though. I can drive down in a few hours, the cycling is good, and they're nice to me.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
My wife would probably not appreciate me spending all my savings, nor would she appreciate me going somewhere nice while she's stuck running her business.

But I might go see my folks, though. I can drive down in a few hours, the cycling is good, and they're nice to me.
Do it then. It sounds like a short getaway would do you good and in this case, it won't cost too much too.

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
uzziefly said:
Do it then. It sounds like a short getaway would do you good and in this case, it won't cost too much too.
+1
It's probably good for your mental health to get out of town for a few days.

Visit your folks while they are still here, you never know when they'll be gone.

You've been saving for a rainy day - this is it. Use some of your savings.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
severance + unemployment benefits + lots of credit + being unemployed = trouble.

i'm several years behind.

then again, being fat, drunk and stupid didn't help me any, either.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
bikeboy389 said:

Get a new wife:D :D :D :D

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Yeah, take the short road trip. But not having much to do all day is an easy way to spend loads of cash. Be careful.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
I used to work freelance and as soon as I got off a job I would get out of the country and go on a nice 2-3 week vacation in Europe or Asia or something. Those were the days....

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
uzziefly said:
+2 - WhyTH not? A few days might do wonders. Not sure of your parent's ages or situation, but with mine I usually can take care of a couple of projects that seem small but are a more of a big deal to them, so good all the way around.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
What about exploring the job opportunities in La Jolla, San Francisco, Seattle and Waikiki?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Americorps Vista jobs seem to be popping up all over the nation. They give a year of non-competitive federal job placement opportunity afterward too, and that is better than $$$. (FBI, here I come!)

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
You're going to be old before you know it. Go.

I got "laid off" (fired, just like everybody else) when I was 28 and newly married. My wife and I had more than $10,000 in the bank (a buttload in 1974) and zero responsibilities--no house, no kids, a job she could walk away from and come back to if she wanted. We could have gone anywhere, stayed for months and come home with money left over (you could fly from Los Angeles to Hawaii in those days for $79, and Europe for less than $200, Motel 6 was actually $6 a night, and a decent hotel was $25-$30).
We thought about just taking off, but wussed out. I found another job, she finished school and we Got Serious About Life. Things have worked out great for us, but both of us still sort of regret that we didn't just say, "Screw it" and jump on a plane to Australia.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,151 Posts
grab the wifey and do a roadtrip to hit up all the good biking spots in your particular region of the US

1 - 17 of 17 Posts