Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious to see how much protein you guys take in. Pretty much the average supposed intake of protein youre supposed to take in if you're an average joe, or a dedicated athlete is a gram of protein per pound of body weight. That would have me at only eating half my regular daily protein level. And since oddly enough, I have a few bodybuilding bodies who, all though do a completely different sport, track their protein levels down to the dotted i. So do any of you give any care to how much protein you eat, whether naturaly or through supplements?

· Registered
21,864 Posts
General guidelines

Protein is best ratioed to body weight, not counted as a fraction of the dietary intake. While some think that they get a better number when they ratio it to lean body mass, it's pretty academic, since the numbers are all rough estimates anyway. You cannot pinpoint these figures! For an active athlete in serious training, 0.7-0.8 gm protein per day per lb. of body weight (1.5-1.7 gm/kg) is plenty.

· Registered
297 Posts
I used to be in the bodybuilding scene. They try to get alteast 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and a lot of guys have 2 g/lb. That along with a 40/40/20 diet.

Now that I am getting a little more serious about cycling, I take 25-50 grams of protein after training.I take Whey protein isolate because it is the fastest absorbing. If you have any other questions, let me know.

I take in well over 180 g of protein each day (my weight). This next week I am going to increase carbs.

· Registered
6,422 Posts
Weight lifting...

Meatball said:
I used to be in the bodybuilding scene. They try to get alteast 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and a lot of guys have 2 g/lb. That along with a 40/40/20 diet.

Now that I am getting a little more serious about cycling, I take 25-50 grams of protein after training.I take Whey protein isolate because it is the fastest absorbing. If you have any other questions, let me know.

I take in well over 180 g of protein each day (my weight). This next week I am going to increase carbs.
I think lifting weights and riding a bike are 2 way different things. I've read some things recently that essentially say that most cyclists seem concerned with taking in protein, when they should be a lot more concerned with taking in carbs. I can't remember where I read this stuff, possibly on cyclingnews.com where they have a section for nutrition and training questions.

· Registered
297 Posts
magnolialover said:
I think lifting weights and riding a bike are 2 way different things. I've read some things recently that essentially say that most cyclists seem concerned with taking in protein, when they should be a lot more concerned with taking in carbs. I can't remember where I read this stuff, possibly on cyclingnews.com where they have a section for nutrition and training questions.

Yes they are two different things.
You can't beat taking protein after a workout of any type though.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Meatball said:
You can't beat taking protein after a workout of any type though.
Say what? Why?

All of the training literature I've read strongly emphasizes the need to replenish carbohydrate immediately following training, something to do with glycogen repletion being much faster at this point.

Some of the literature has suggested that including some protein in this nutrition, at a 4:1 carb:protein ratio, might be good, too.

50 grams protein is 200 kCal. If you did the 4:1 ratio, that would be a 1,000 kCal post-ride meal! Why so much?

· Registered
165 Posts
I have found that a high carb diet is the way to go . I spent almost a year on a zone diet and it stunk. Always hungry and running out of power in about an hour were common. In the weight room my muscles started burning way too early into the set. I have learned my lesson and it's high carbs for me now. My legs don't burn anymore and are much stronger and recover very quickly. If you want numbers, I get around 75-100 grams of protein a day and I only have one meal a day with meat. So I actually get 1 gram per kilo of bodyweight on average per day.

· Registered
297 Posts
Argentius said:
Say what? Why?

All of the training literature I've read strongly emphasizes the need to replenish carbohydrate immediately following training, something to do with glycogen repletion being much faster at this point.

Some of the literature has suggested that including some protein in this nutrition, at a 4:1 carb:protein ratio, might be good, too.

50 grams protein is 200 kCal. If you did the 4:1 ratio, that would be a 1,000 kCal post-ride meal! Why so much?

I do not do a 4:1 ratio. I do not believe in spiking my insulin post workout.
50 grams of protein post workout is only 200 calories.
Protein repairs muscle, just the thing you need after training.

I also use other supplements including:
Creatine Malate
Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Taurine
Arginine
citrulline malate
GABA

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Cyclists.

Are not.

Body builders.

Very high amounts of glycogen are used in cycling. It's essential to eat sufficient carbohydrate immediately after training to replenish glycogen stores at an acceptable rate. About a zillion sports medicine studies describe the "glyogen window" that occurs immediately after training.

This is what insulin is SUPPOSED TO DO.

Of course, if you're not training very long or very often, it won't matter so much.

· Registered
165 Posts
Creatine Malate
Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Taurine
Arginine
citrulline malate
GABA[/QUOTE

Thats quite a cocktail. What measured benefits have you received by taking all this in.
FWIW I work with pro atheletes from several diciplines and they don't supplement unless their sent something for free. They eat real food and train ferociously. As they get older the trend is to better nutrition from eating whatever they want but for the most part its just good old food the way they like it. You don't buy athletic success, you earn it.

· Registered
297 Posts
rounder said:
Creatine Malate
Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Taurine
Arginine
citrulline malate
GABA
Thats quite a cocktail. What measured benefits have you received by taking all this in.
FWIW I work with pro atheletes from several diciplines and they don't supplement unless their sent something for free. They eat real food and train ferociously. As they get older the trend is to better nutrition from eating whatever they want but for the most part its just good old food the way they like it. You don't buy athletic success, you earn it.[/QUOTE]

GABA- puts me to sleep nicely.
Arginine-experimenting with fatloss possibility
Acetyl-l-carnitine-also for fatloss
The others are in a product called Dymatize Xpand. Pretty sure I got it for free. You trying to insult me for taking supplements? I don't even race competitively. Most of my supplements were purchased during my weight lifting days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.