Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
281 - 300 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
The new Litespeed Gravel has some cool features, but it is still pricey at $2400 for the frameset.

Here's some footage of the Ridley X-Trail in its natural habitat (yes, all of them):

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Well, I finally got my BMC RM-01 out on 60 mile gravel ride today with it's gravel specific wheels.

The gravel wheels are HED Belgium Plus on White Industries CLD hubs, 28f/32r, built by November Dave - the tires are Schwalbe G-One Speed 30mm tubeless. It was a dry day, but I ran it through it's paces on fast dirt, deep soft gravel, and loose sandy hardpack, and it handled all of that with no trouble at all. The only thing left is wet/mud, and since I'm pretty much a fair weather cyclist any more, I'm not too concerned about that.

Lot's of climbing and descending, cornering and braking. The wheels, tires, and brakes all performed flawlessly.

The dedicated road wheels are Enve 3.5 SES Disc on DT 240 CLDs with 25mm Conti 4000IIs (4 Seasons for Winter).

Pretty safe to say that my 'quiver' has been killed. This bike does everything I want it to. I have a dedicated set of road wheels and a dedicated set of gravel/adventure wheels, and I don't see any reason to keep my dedicated gravel bike around any more. I'll probably keep one other bike, just to have as a spare, but I think everything else is going up for sale.
I missed this somehow. Very cool. It looks good man. I saw in another thread that you got the seatpost issue sorted out as well, so congrats. It's definitely nice to hear a another "success" story. Do you have any concerns about taking your carbon frame on loose gravel and/or roads with pebbles flying around though? I have heard of some people addressing that by getting a protective film placed on the bottom of the bike, etc., but I am always curious about how different carbon bike owners approach riding on gravel with the material. It looks like a great do it all bike no matter how you slice it. Please share more of your ride experiences with the rest of us when you have some time.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
Went for my first ride with new slick tires last night. Smooth as silk on the bumpy roads around my house. They are 32mm wide Hutchinson sector tubeless on the stock 21mm inner width wheels. Running 70psi at my 210lb weight.

Rashadabd, when I got my crux (carbon) I bought a big strip of 3M clear protective film and custom cut pieces for a bunch of different spots on the frame that might get hit by rocks or scratched by me during cross season. Works great so far, you can't see it at all, and it sticks really well.

View attachment 319020

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Went for my first ride with new slick tires last night. Smooth as silk on the bumpy roads around my house. They are 32mm wide Hutchinson sector tubeless on the stock 21mm inner width wheels. Running 70psi at my 210lb weight.

Rashadabd, when I got my crux (carbon) I bought a big strip of 3M clear protective film and custom cut pieces for a bunch of different spots on the frame that might get hit by rocks or scratched by me during cross season. Works great so far, you can't see it at all, and it sticks really well.

View attachment 319020
I hadn't heard of this until recently. It's pretty cool if it works. A local shop were the ones that told me about it, but I was kind of wondering if it was just a sales pitch to get me to buy a Terra. Good to hear it's legit. Can't see the pics btw. You may need to delete the first attempt and then repost.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Do you have any concerns about taking your carbon frame on loose gravel and/or roads with pebbles flying around though?
There is a harder layer of paint on the bottom of the downtube that is supposed to make it more resistant to chips and such. It's hard to see in the picture, but the finish on the down tube is a shiny gloss black, whereas the rest of the bike is a very flat matte black color. It's also visible on the leading edge of the fork. I'll definitely keep keep an eye on it though.

As someone else suggested, you can buy down tube protectors (clear adhesive strips) if you are concerned about small chips and such. I think the mountain bike guys use something called Helicopter Tape, and there are companies that sell 'kits' as well (although they are likely over priced).

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
There is a harder layer of paint on the bottom of the downtube that is supposed to make it more resistant to chips and such. It's hard to see in the picture, but the finish on the down tube is a shiny gloss black, whereas the rest of the bike is a very flat matte black color. It's also visible on the leading edge of the fork. I'll definitely keep keep an eye on it though.

As someone else suggested, you can buy down tube protectors (clear adhesive strips) if you are concerned about small chips and such. I think the mountain bike guys use something called Helicopter Tape, and there are companies that sell 'kits' as well (although they are likely over priced).
Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
647 Posts
This might be my next bike...

New 2018 Diverge teaser vid, and some guesses about the bike based on it:

+ S-Works model now offered (prior top end was a Pro).
+ Future Shock front end (like the Roubaix).
+ Command Post XCP, short travel seatpost dropper (sees a return since it was on the high end of the first year release).
+ There looks to be a special lever on the left side of the bars for the dropper post control (they had a poorly located one on the original release of the Diverge, before they took it off the feature list).
- The dropper option means no major seatpost flex like the Roubaix for comfort. But the seat stays are low and thin... so who knows how the rear will feel?
+ Flat mount disc brakes.
+ Thru axles (not new, but we can assume that the SCS rear is gone).
+ 1x system on the S-Works at least (I expect a FD for some builds).
+ SWAT mount by the BB like the Roubaix.
+ Nice big tires (not sure what size, but they look larger than the 35c max of the current Diverge.)
+ Possible mounts on fork for packs.

Looks like they ticked off nearly all of my wish list for the new model and we get the full reveal on June 15.

What did I miss?

·
Registered
647 Posts
The flexy seat post/tube thing on the Roubaix is a highlight of that design, IMO, and would be missed in this bike.
I tend to agree.

I expect there will be builds that use the regular CGR post instead of the dropper. That CGR head and regular carbon flex of a 27.2mm post, supported down at the lower seat tube clamp position (from the sloped TT) may be enough "cushion" in conjunction with the larger tires.

But I love the Isospeed rear on my Boone, and wonder how the Diverge will compare to it without the Roubaix flex? There are plenty of GG bikes without these devices (gimmicks to some), so it may not be a deal killer.

I suspect I would end up with an Expert or Pro build and likely lose the dropper. I don't think I want it more than I want the extra shock absorption since you can't likely get both.

281 - 300 of 369 Posts