Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We met up at Bent's place 'round about 10:00 am. Present were: Bent, cwg at opc, DrRoe, Holliewould, Roadfix, Mapei, grrlyrida, lemonlime, me and Bent's friend Heather.

We rode out to Calabasas and climbed Old Topanga Road. Here's a pic of us at the top. From L-R: Bent, Dr Roe, Hollydude, cwg at opc, grrlyrida, Heather, Mappy, lemonlime and Roadfix.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We bombed down Old Topanga - its about a 5 mile descent - then turned up regular Topanga Canyon and stopped at a brand new bike shop.

Well, 9 of us stopped. DrRoebuck was out in front and missed the turn for the shop and Marco Pantani'd himself all the way up the climb. I think it was another 3 miles to the top from there. He didn't realize we weren't with him until he got to the top and was all like, wtf...did they stop to fix a flat or something? :confused:

hollywood finally got a hold of him and told him to come back down cause we were all hanging at the bike shop eating Girl Scout cookies and drinking fresh brewed coffee.

Here are pics of the shop. The one at the bottom = grrlyrida, the shop owner (who closed the shop for 3 weeks last July and took all the employees to France to watch the Tour), Bent, H-W.

These are all the pics I have. The rest of the guys will have to post theirs.

Oh yeah, after we got back Bent cooked up some awesome tacos. Great get together, Bent.:thumbsup:

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
I had a great time. I always find it a little off-kilter to meet RBR folks for the first time. Many of you I've "known" via posts here in the last several years, and it was strange to hear your real voices, etc, as opposed to what I've envisioned in my mind. It's good to say that everyone is much cooler even than I had imagined, and thanks to Bent for putting it all together.

Here are my ride photos...

1) Bent, Dr R y Hwood (l-r)
Climbing to the top of Old Topanga (right?)
2) Hwood in the distance, tearin' it up!
3) Throwin' gang signs
5) Mapei
6) Bent's "work friend" (sure...) H'er
7) Dr R
8) cwpocrtsadfdst :)
9) roadfix
10) il sogno
11) il sogno grabbing mapei's butt (nttawwt)
12) Bent and Girlie rydah (who can make a freakin' brownie, btw!!!)
13) The bathroom lizard at the bikeshop. I saved a bunch of money on toilet paper!

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Here are some that I took....

il sogno pulling the loungers

bottom of old topanga rd

cool bike shop on topanga

cool customers of cool bike shop

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Freakin awesome.

Hollywood - I luff your arm warmers dude. I got a shock and thought "When the f**k did H-wood get some massive tattoos??!! Wait, he didn't! I think." Right up till I realized they were arm warmers. Oh and, love the KoM jersey too.

Did you really tear it up solo? Awesome!!

//Still wondering how lemonlime got that shot of H-wood from across.

What were the temps like?

Roebuck - you went up solo eh? Cool! For 3 miles at that too. Weren't you like wondering what the hell happened while climbing?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks like a good time, had I been in town I would have tried to make it. Next time I suppose, I'll have to get my post count up to be able to join in.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Here are mine. The names have been changed to protect the innocent:

<table width="700" border="0"><tr><td>

grrlyrida, cwg, lemonline.

"Heather," HW, Maps, Sogs.

Roadfix.

Roadfix, about to show us how to hotwire a van.

Taking a shot with sweat on the lens. That's "artistic," people. Sogs, cwg, Maps, Heather.

HW, grrlyrida, Sogs, cwg.

After I obliterated the field going up Topanga, I had ample time to prepare for pictures of each rider cresting the climb. Until my phone rang, and it was HW telling me they were all at the bottom of the climb eating cookies, drinking coffee and wiping their asses with bathroom lizards.

HW, Heather, some punk-ass kid ruining my shot, lemonlime, nK, cwg in the background.

I'm too sexy for my pot ...

While Bent and Heather prepared our glorious feast, lemonlime
and I sat on our asses, waiting to be served, taking awkward
pictures of them.

"If I had a nickel for every person who went to see Watchmen,
I'd have a dime."

The highlight of the day, besides absolutely destroying everybody on Topanga, was getting my Brooks grips. Now the Soma is complete.

</td></tr></table>

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Roebuck: You need to change your copyright to 2009 instead.

Oh and, is lemonlime as skinny as I am? Or well, within 20lbs perhaps.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
uzziefly said:
Roebuck - you went up solo eh? Cool! For 3 miles at that too. Weren't you like wondering what the hell happened while climbing?
It was awesome. The plan was to stop at a new bike shop. HW had told me it was on Topanga and I assumed he meant down in the valley or something. So I thought we were shooting up the climb. I took off, got into a good rhythm and thought people were behind me, until I turned around and didn't see anyone.

The delusional side of me figured I was just feelin' it and no one else could keep up.

The realistic side of me figured someone had a flat and they were held up.

The awesome side of me kept on keepin' on, motoring all the way to the top.

The dumb-ass side of me had to go back down the climb, then back up again when we left the bike shop.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
It was awesome. The plan was to stop at a new bike shop. HW had told me it was on Topanga and I assumed he meant down in the valley or something. So I thought we were shooting up the climb. I took off, got into a good rhythm and thought people were behind me, until I turned around and didn't see anyone.

The delusional side of me figured I was just feelin' it and no one else could keep up.

The realistic side of me figured someone had a flat and they were held up.

The awesome side of me kept on keepin' on, motoring all the way to the top.

The dumb-ass side of me had to go back down the climb, then back up again when we left the bike shop.
So, did you rocket away the second time up? (NOT koad. I think)

//By the way, did you check yer PMz dude?? I thought you had shots for that day.. Hmm :idea:

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
uzziefly said:
So, did you rocket away the second time up? (NOT koad. I think)
No, but I did a'ight. Came in after lemonlime and HW.

uzziefly said:
//By the way, did you check yer PMz dude??
My PMs was full last week. Whatever you sent you should send again.

uzziefly said:
I thought you had shots for that day.. Hmm :idea:
WTF are you talking about?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
No, but I did a'ight. Came in after lemonlime and HW.

Cool!

My PMs was full last week. Whatever you sent you should send again.

WTF are you talking about?

Check yer Pms.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
ya'lls some good lookin cyclists! especially Heather;)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
AWESOME pics!

i always reminisce about riding my beloved santa monicas! fernwood is still my all-time favorite. even better than all my favs in boulder. thanks for posting great pics and narratives sognio!!!

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
I really don't think you ever need to point out who Hollywood is......pretty sure we have been able to spot him in any picture ever posted. Looks like a fun time.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I'm surprised HW was dressed as conservatively as he was.... He's usually a little more flamboyant:D
hey! I toned it down for this one. I knew there would be people I hadn't met, so I couldn't risk having them think I was some kind of weirdo :rolleyes:

Nice pics y'all. DoRo: you have a firm, leathery grip. HTH~

1 - 20 of 63 Posts