Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I'm curious. What reactions you all get when people ask about the training you do for cycling. I ask because I'm amused by the reactions I get from people.

Classic example..
I get home from a hard ride.. I'm dead but really happy I could put in such a solid effort. My mother asks what I did to be so beat. I say I reached a new max heart rate of 198bpm.. and I averaged 167 for an hour.
Her response.. "Um.. that can't be good. You're going to give yourself a heart attack."

Another example..
I'm talking to a friend about my recent 115 mile ride... They ask 3 times just to make sure if I was really on a bicycle. I assure them I was. They then badger me about how they don't understand why I do it since I don't race yadda yadda...

So feel free to share!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I do my best not to tell people. After years of dumb comments, I tend to keep to myself. If someone really wants to engage in a conversation about it then I'd be happy to share. If they are just going to tell me I'm crazy then I'd rather keep my mouth shut.

I ride to work and park my bike near an outdoor area designated for smokers. It also has some picnic table so I often eat lunch out there. The smokers love to tell me how crazy I am. My commute is beyond imaginable to them. I often just dumb down my responses and hope they stop asking questions.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
People don't understand, and by that I mean the following:

1) Cycling - people see cycling as biking, and we see them as two different things. Everyone bikes, not everyone cycles.

2) Exercise - people, at least in America, don't really exercise. So if you do sometimes remotely taxing on your body, like riding a century or running a marathon, you're crazy! It also stems from jealously of their own laziness and lack of discipline.

3) Ignorance - people can't grasp endurance. Whether its playing Starcraft for 36 hours straight until you die, running 50 marathons in 50 days, or having an 8 hour orgasm like Sting.

4) Hobby - many people see "physical work" as suffering and unnecessary. That's why people refuse to exercise and get fat. Anything that possibly inflicts physical pain (good or bad in this case) is something to stay away from. Plenty of people exercise, but not all people who exercise exercise correctly. You can ask someone to give their best effort and they won't. It baffles me.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I give people as little information as I can get away with. I'll answer direct questions, but usually I'll just answer their questions with 1) Yes, I ride my bike a lot. 2) Yes, it does hurt when you crash. 3) No, I find it safer on the roads. 4) If you ask me any more questions, I'll punch you in the face.

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I tell people I rode 100 or 160 miles I often get asked whether I have a car. When I say yes, they get confused. I mean, why would I do that if I have a car!?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I love the question about for far I rode...

Since I almost always ride a closed loop (finish where I started from), I tell them I effectively rode zero miles. This boosts the efficiency of the conversation by allowing them to immediately conclude how utterly worthless my efforts were in terms of getting anywhere (why else would anyone ride a bike?). Then they usually just walk away speechless (they got what they wanted, and I did not have to endure the diatribe).

A non-cyclist asking about a cyclist's training it a lot like a non-smoker questioning a smoker about # of cigarettes per day.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
accepting the fact that most won't understand what we do is the easiest route to go.

as for the mom's comment on the heart...
the heart is a muscle, if you don't cause it strain it will never get stronger.
regular strain can minimize the severity of a cardiac episode or even reduce the chance of having one. You don't get smarter by not thinking just like you don't get stronger by sitting idle.

Mom may not like to hear it but it might inspire some understanding and some personal undertaking.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The scary thing is that I find myself getting further and further from mainstream
America. IT guy at work saw me in Lycra getting ready to go for a ride and
genuinely looked at me with revulsion. He has a boat with TWO engines in it,
gets around 2 mpg and spends the weekend drinking on it, weighs way too much.
I see these Harleys riding around the park with supposedly macho men belching
hydrocarbons out the exhaust and smoking cigarettes!. Am I nuts or is everyone
else? I started riding seriously two years ago, and can no longer have meaningful
conversations with my brothers because anything with a motor turns me off now.
All I know is that for the first time in my life, I feel better and am enjoying riding more
than anything I did before. The prospect of driving to a pro-football training camp to
watch them practice strikes me as utterly absurd. Like watching poker players on TV.
Next will come the healthfood, I just know that's the way I'm heading.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
You

should see peoples reactions when they hear you race and train for triathlons....

it's almost comical...that being said, I don't tell too many people, get tired of repeating the same things....OVER and OVER again...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
801 Posts
CleavesF said:
2) Exercise - people, at least in America, don't really exercise. So if you do sometimes remotely taxing on your body, like riding a century or running a marathon, you're crazy! It also stems from jealously of their own laziness and lack of discipline.
I dated a girl like this, every time I had to train she cringed, and probably stewed over it for hours. I think she held it against me, strange as it sounds.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I get a laugh out of people when I tell them I went for a 36 mile ride or some similarly long sounding distance. They get such a puzzled look on their faces, like they are thinking, "Why in the world would someone want to do that, and then call it fun?"

The funny thing is I was one of those people 2 years ago. If someone had told me I would ride a bike to work almost every day (and in Minnesota, no less), go on a couple of 20 to 30 mile club rides a couple of times a week, (and look forward to them), I would have given them the same deer-in-the-headlights look that I get from others.

I now think of myself as kind of a cycling missionary. I am here to spread the "Good News" of just how good cycling is for you, your personal economy, your mental health, and the environment, etc. I point out that 36 miles seemed like a long way when I started riding 2 years ago, but now it is no big deal. I tell them it could be the same for them, they just need to start out slow, but they do need to start and continue to ride. I also tell them I have never felt better in my life. I have lost weight, my mental outlook is better than it has been in a long time, and my personal life is the best it has ever been. Many of these improvements I attribute to my new cycling lifestyle.

Maybe I will convert some to the "Cycling Religion", maybe not, but at least I am trying to set a good example. The more people that turn off the "boob tube" and get off their lazy arses and get out and excersize, the better.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Jay B.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,328 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
I give people as little information as I can get away with. I'll answer direct questions, but usually I'll just answer their questions with 1) Yes, I ride my bike a lot. 2) Yes, it does hurt when you crash. 3) No, I find it safer on the roads. 4) If you ask me any more questions, I'll punch you in the face.
That is a great system... :idea:

·
Registered
69 Posts
One time a buddy and I were sitting in a restaurant the day after a ride where he was in a paceline wreck and had his shoulder tore up. He took off his coat and you could see his bandages and the oozzing soaking through a little. (Yeah kinda gross)

The waittress (kinda hot) says, "Hey what happened to your arm?" My friend replied he was in a bike acccident on a 100 mile ride yesterday.. To which she replied, "What kind of motorcycle so you have?" After he explained he was cyclist as in bi-cyclist, she said,"Um...If I was you....I'd just tell people it was a motorcycle accident!"

Riding isn't so popular where I live.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
phoehn9111 said:
The scary thing is that I find myself getting further and further from mainstream
America. IT guy at work saw me in Lycra getting ready to go for a ride and
genuinely looked at me with revulsion. He has a boat with TWO engines in it,
gets around 2 mpg and spends the weekend drinking on it, weighs way too much.
I see these Harleys riding around the park with supposedly macho men belching
hydrocarbons out the exhaust and smoking cigarettes!. Am I nuts or is everyone
else? I started riding seriously two years ago, and can no longer have meaningful
conversations with my brothers because anything with a motor turns me off now.
All I know is that for the first time in my life, I feel better and am enjoying riding more
than anything I did before. The prospect of driving to a pro-football training camp to
watch them practice strikes me as utterly absurd. Like watching poker players on TV.
Next will come the healthfood, I just know that's the way I'm heading.
Things with motors still have their places. :nod I enjoy riding my motorcycle as much or more than my bicycles, *but* it don't do anything for the roll round my middle, so I tend to use the bike (motored) for transportation and not as much recreation.

I *gasp!* run as well, and find that I enjoy that as well. I'm not nearly as focused in my outdoor efforts as I was a few years ago, tending to do most things in moderation any more.

Mtn, road, cross (woot! almost here!!), running (well, hashing anyway), and hiking are ALL good!

M

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've explained to my mother and friends that maxing out like I do sometimes isn't a bad thing. Sure if I max out my heart on a daily basis it will eventually put added stress on it.. but working out like I do is only beneficial.

I've come to the point that I too only offer the slightest amount of information up front about my cycling addiction. Some people that press on and ask more questions get their answers.. and I get dumbfounded looks.
Of course.. nothing.. and I mean nothing beats their looks when they muster up the courage to ask me how much my bike is worth!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I don't have the heart to tell my co-worker with the Harley that I put in more weekend miles on my bicycle than he did on his bike.

"You spent that much money on a bicyle and they didn't even give you a kickstand !!! "

·
Registered
381 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
SNIP!
Of course.. nothing.. and I mean nothing beats their looks when they muster up the courage to ask me how much my bike is worth!
Yeah, I love that look too, and my bike is definitely on the lower end of the pecking order when it comes to road bikes (an '06 Trek 2100 that I paid $1,200 for last year on closeout). It seems like whenever you mention that a bicycle cost anywher near $1,000 (or over), they just can't imagine it. It's like you just said you were born on Mars or something. I guess if all you had as a reference point were Schwinn's at Wal-Mart for $129.00, then $2,500+ for a bike would seem out-of-this-world as well.

My other hobby is flying radio control airplanes, and you get the same types of questions and looks from people when you tell them how much they cost as well. I guess you could say I'm used to it.

Jay B.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,328 Posts
Treker said:
you get the same types of questions and looks from people when you tell them how much they cost as well. I guess you could say I'm used to it.

Jay B.

It is a typical reaction by any lay-person when they hear how expensive good quality toys in any field can be.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.