Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We decided that doing one climb up to 10,100 wasn't enough so my friend Joe, myself, and my wife stopped in Lee Vining to climb up Tioga Pass (Highway 120) and beyond. This time of year means that Highway 120 through Yosemite is a traffic nightmare and it didn't fail to impress us this time with the shear amount of trailers, RVs, cars, trucks, and motorcycles. We basically just kept to the side of the road with our heads down and charged forward. It was such a beautiful day with such an incredible climb that we really didn't want to miss out on it.

Starting out at Lee Vining we went up to the Mono Lake overlook by the Mobile Station on the corner of California S.R. 120 and U.S. 395. Mono Lake in itself is impressive and a photographer's dream, but instead we turned our backs on the beautiful sapphire and started up 120 to find the high point of Yosemite N.P (or at least the high point for us). Looking back down the road we had just climbed we could see the Mono Craters in the distance. These were volcanoes that now just have the cinder cones remaining. If you like to pick up huge rocks and play Star Trek you can find pumice chunks there that are quite easy to pick up.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Up and towards the top

We climbed further up into the snow covered granite to find Ellery Lake glistening at the top. What a gorgeous blue it was. My camera decided that mixing snow, high altitude UV, and light colored granite was pure evil in its little processor eye, and I apologize as most of these pictures came out a little strange in contrast, but what are going to do? Stupid little point and shoots :). Passing Ellery we rode along the snowbanks until we reached the Tioga Yosemite Gate not quite at the top. $10.00 per person for a 1/2 hour of riding!! Yikes, but I guess it helps fund some government thingy somewhere.

After riding a little ways into the Park we turned around due to time constraints and flew back down from the pass. I had to stop at one lake though. The ice filled waters just looked too neat to ignore and I grabbed some photos from both above and below. I always love the effect of ice in alpine lakes.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Descending

Coming back down was a hoot, but you have to watch the numerous craters in the road where slabs of granite came crashing down over the winter. Sure wouldn't want to get caught under one of those. Finally, made it down for lunch. Little hint: Get lunch at the Mobile Station! Yep, these guys know how to make food. . .and for relatively cheap prices. Carrot cake, rasberry vinagrette salad, bbq chicken! Yuuummmmyyy! And all with a view of Mono Lake thrown in for free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yosemite

I am from Spain.
I am planning a roadBike trip to california during Summer, with few days in SF bay area, some days visiting a friend in lake Tahoe, and then I was thinking to go Yosemite.

I found your fotos and I wandered if you can give me some advice about the routes, maps, or links, to plan two or three days there biking.

your photos look great.

Thanks in advance from madrid, spain.

br

Ignacio

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Wow! That's some spectacular scenery. Yosemite is almost definitely our next NP destination, or maybe Utah (Zion, Canyonlands) but probably Yosemite. The grade looks like it wasn't too bad? Or are the pictures fooling me?

I'll keep that Mobil in mind for when we do make it out there!

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I always wanted to do Tioga, but I never had the guts. Too much traffic, and too much debris on the road. I was there last year around this time of year, and the wind was absolutely howling. We stopped to sightsee and could barely get the car doors open.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ignacio, I'll send you a private message (PM) with my email address and some info.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The grade isn't too bad there. It's about 8% I believe at the most. Starts out very easy and then becomes steeper but doable. We had no problem climbing up it at all except for the traffic.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was using a compact 50/34 with an 11/23 and my wife was using a 50/34 with a 12/27. The 11/23 is too small and I can definitely feel myself burning out on anything over about 9-10%. I really need to change it out. My wife switched from a triple and says she wishes she still had it. Oh well.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, compact cranks.

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Beautiful.

If you can pick a morning to do it without freezing to death, that would probably be a great ride to start at sunrise, as early as possible. I've ridden from Lee Vining up into the park at sunrise (on a motorcycle) and it was absolutely spectacular. There was no traffic, and the rising sun at my back shed an amazing light on the pass scenery.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Man, you have been posting some BEAUTIFUL reports lately.

I saw that Shimano finally released a Dura-Ace compact crankset. $700! Holy crap.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Man, you have been posting some BEAUTIFUL reports lately.

I saw that Shimano finally released a Dura-Ace compact crankset. $700! Holy crap.
Screw that. A word to the wise - Ultegra SL Compact. Awesome charcoal gray. And when it's spinning uphill, ain't no one that can read the Ultegra graphic no how. Plus, you can swap the DA 7800 back and forth with the UltSL. I didn't even need to re-adjust my front derailleur, it works flawlessly in the higher DA position. I set-up a shorter chain (SRAM w/quick links) for the compact (-4 links), and set the full length chain aside for the swap back. To save a little time, I scored another set of crank brothers eggbeaters so I could leave the pedals on the DA crank.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.