Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the blood tests at least.

You'll all be happy to know that everything looks fine aside from my bloody pee, which I'll be getting a CT scan for on Thursday.

My Dr's notes:

"The following were normal:
blood count for anemia and infection
kidney and liver tests
glucose for diabetes
full cholesterol panel
pancreas"

You'll also be happy to know that I'm STD free. I'm sure I'll have to get that checked again though after a weekend at the Coop's.

I don't know what half the crap on these sheets of paper means.

The most inspiring thing:

I'm stoked to hear that my cholesterol is normal, according to my Dr. Last time I was in there, about two years ago, i was told that I had high cholesterol, especially for someone my age (I was 25 at the time) and that she was actually worried about it. And now, according to what my doc tells me, things are pretty normal, though after looking at things online it seems that my HDL could be higher.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but my LDL cholesterol all those years ago was in the 150's. Now it's 92. Nice.

It's kind of cool to see all this. I saw a change in myself physically in the mirror, and to know that it's having a very positive effect on my insides makes me feel better about all the work I've been doing on myself.

And it's reassuring that all my blood tests for my kidneys were normal. As soon as I read all of this I started to feel better.

I also now know that my hematocrit level is 44.8% and hemoglobin is 15.6. I don't know what that means, but I hear about it in cycling, so I got excited when I read it even though I didn't understand it.

joe

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
This goes to show you're still a paranoid bastid. :D

First!

Happy for you bro!

Keep shedding that weight and keep up with the workouts man. Lookin really sharp.:thumbsup:

/By the way, you're not doping yet now are you? :D

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
So glad you're going to make it. Since you're such a strapping young specimen, I have an additional 2000' climb you can join me on. Okay?

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Fantastic! I'm so glad to hear everything is OK, been wondering how those tests panned out.

Hgb/hct: loosely stated, those numbers show the number of red bloood cells and oxygen- carrying component on the red blood cell. Looks very good.

Now go eat a triple cheesebuuger to celebrate.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thinkcooper said:
So glad you're going to make it. Since you're such a strapping young specimen, I have an additional 2000' climb you can join me on. Okay?

Lord knows I need it. But I've been a sorry sack as of late, only riding my bike to work and back for the past two months or so. I wanted to get some miles in this past weekend but those antibiotics really took the fight out of me. I'm glad I'm done with them... they made me feel funky.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OldEndicottHiway said:
Fantastic! I'm so glad to hear everything is OK, been wondering how those tests panned out.

Hgb/hct: loosely stated, those numbers show the number of red bloood cells and oxygen- carrying component on the red blood cell. Looks very good.

Now go eat a triple cheesebuuger to celebrate.

Thanks, OEH!

The blood came back pretty darn good from what I read on here from my Doc and from what I've Googled as far as "normal" numbers for all of these things listed.

The urine was what worried her, and it's the only thing on here where there is some funky stuff going on. I'm going to guess (with my MD in Googleology) that it had more to do with my infection than anything. That at the same time I was peeing Coca-Cola my blood was perfectly fine is kind of good news, it would seem to me... that it would be more of a "one-of" kind of thing than anything, or at least that's how it looks to me.

I read "cloudy" "trace protein" "urine blood" and immediately thought diabetes for whatever reason (mom and pop both have it, and I treated myself like crap for the better part of 9 years), but my glucose was 92 and my cholesterol was low, so I'm thinking that it was the infection working its way through my kidneys... but what do I know :idea:

joe

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Thanks, OEH!

The urine was what worried her, and it's the only thing on here where there is some funky stuff going on. I'm going to guess (with my MD in Googleology) that it had more to do with my infection than anything. That at the same time I was peeing Coca-Cola my blood was perfectly fine is kind of good news, it would seem to me... that it would be more of a "one-of" kind of thing than anything, or at least that's how it looks to me.

I read "cloudy" "trace protein" "urine blood" and immediately thought diabetes for whatever reason (mom and pop both have it, and I treated myself like crap for the better part of 9 years), but my glucose was 92 and my cholesterol was low, so I'm thinking that it was the infection working its way through my kidneys... but what do I know :idea:

joe

Cloudy= usually an infectious process

Protein= definitely an "issue" with larger amounts

Blood in urine= prolly result of infectious process (hopefully now cleared after course of antibiotics)

Sounds good.

Follow up as prescribed by your MD.

And go have a cheeseburger but stay away from spiders. :)

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OldEndicottHiway said:
Cloudy= usually an infectious process

Protein= definitely an "issue" with larger amounts

Blood in urine= prolly result of infectious process (hopefully now cleared after course of antibiotics)

Sounds good.

Follow up as prescribed by your MD.

And go have a cheeseburger but stay away from spiders. :)

Can I make that a veggie patty without cheese on a wheat bun? Or is that taking the fun out of it?

joe

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
You promised not to publish that picture. :(

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
I also now know that my hematocrit level is 44.8% and hemoglobin is 15.6. I don't know what that means, but I hear about it in cycling, so I got excited when I read it even though I didn't understand it.

joe
You'll nevar make the pro cycling tour with those numbers and just don't sit on the toilet at coop's and you should come home STD free.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
good news joeh!!!

now make sure i can live vicariously through you at coops....i'll be in my office all weekend writing a paper....yay :rolleyes:

//med shyte scares me, too. glad all your worrying was for nothing. if nothing else, this little process gave you an opportunity to have some corroborating evidence regarding the way you've turned your health around....having professional numbers re-enforce something you already know is quite satisfying :thumbsup:

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
yay joey. told you that you worry too much.

trying not to worry much about the CT scan. is that where they put you in a little tube, then leave you all alone with the lights out? i hear monsters like to hide in broom closets.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I just had a similar physical and all my tests came back perfect. It's a great feeling. Glad yours a normal:)

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Excellent. I was really worrying that you weren't going to make it out there. I've been especially looking forward to meeting you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts