Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I build up this frame with new or old stuff?

http://www.serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16977

I really have thought of it as a fixed gear project.

New stuff? Old stuff? Pista stuff? Suggestions?

I frankly am not all that wrapped up with preserving the retro look (although I suppose you really can't avoid it with that frame), and I'm not sure that early 90's qualifies as retro. What do you all think?

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
What a tease...

can't view pic's unless you join the Serotta forum...Maybe later I can dig up my old ID and password...

Anyway, from the sound of things, this should build up into a fine modern bike. The rear triangle is the only concern, especially if you go 9 or 10 speed. I have built up older bikes with 9 speed, one 126 frame worked fine while another did not without having to adjust the axle with an additional washer for a bit more room. Should not be a problem for your 130.

The cost of restoring it to original can be pretty expensive. I have been lucky to find complete bikes with the parts I needed. Then, stripping the parts and selling off a frame. I usually find the best deals like this on unusually large or small bikes. They tend to find fewer buyers.

Either way, sounds like a great project. I'd vote modern...Then again, it would make a very nice fixie...Na, modern...final answer.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Shimano 9-speed, DT shifters, Aero levers. I say Shimano rather than Campy because if you're going to stick with a group (and many do) Shimano makes better DT shifters and WAAAY better aero brake levers, IMO. So this would be semi-retro--just remember, unless you're racing, the lack of STI won't have any significant impact. And DT shifters look cool.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shimano and me; we don't get along so well. Not for any good, rational reason. I'm just a Campy guy.
Plus I was going to build it up as a fixed gear.
So, semi-retro is your vote?
I have half a mind to build it up with Campy track stuff, although that sh*t's expensive.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Have a whole mind to do it......

bill said:
Shimano and me; we don't get along so well. Not for any good, rational reason. I'm just a Campy guy.
I have half a mind to build it up with Campy track stuff, although that sh*t's expensive.
That frame deserves the best.......

·
Registered
806 Posts
Your pick...

bill said:
Well, use Campy then, but this is a frame made for a derailer. Sticking track stuff on a bike with DT bosses and a hanger has always rankled a little with me. You could have those removed, then repaint the frame, but what's the point? To do it right, you'd pay almost as much as you would for custom.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
bill said:
Do I build up this frame with new or old stuff?

http://www.serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16977

I really have thought of it as a fixed gear project.

New stuff? Old stuff? Pista stuff? Suggestions?

I frankly am not all that wrapped up with preserving the retro look (although I suppose you really can't avoid it with that frame), and I'm not sure that early 90's qualifies as retro. What do you all think?
Ya' know. That frame'd look good with just bout anything hung on it. If a full Campy gruppo is too spendy, you could do an interesting setup up with Modolo brakes and (if you can find them) DT shift levers, an Ofmega crank, Normandy hubs, etc. I'd find Campy NR or SR derailleurs for it; some things just have to be Campy, right?

OR, you could go full resto-mod. The frame would also look darn nice with a new Shimango 105 gruppo on it. Alright, alright, you don't like Shimango. A friend just build up an old Peugeot with a new Campy gruppo, and it looks sweet and rides ever-so-nicely. But that does get pricey. Another option would be to go to the Rivendell webalog and piece together a gruppo from their offerings. There stuff tends to be classic in nature and not to horribly expensive.

Whatever you do, I'm confident the bike is going to turn out very well.

Yours,

FBB

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a Bianchi of slightly older age, and I suggest going with like age components. I personally think new components look better on compact frames, carbon forks etc... Campy downtube shitfters etc... would look great on that Colnago, I love the paint job, its a work of art!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.