Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our rebellious son was planning on a clandestine rave with friends in SF tomorrow. It was intended to be a "screw the uptight parents, we're gonna rave till dawn" happening. Turns out Thinkcooper knows the rave host really, really well. One phone call transformed an in-your-face screamer into an in-the-side-door-without-tickets-but-babysat-the-whole-night wet dishragger. Yeah. It all comes around, and your parents are hipper, better connected, and not easily hoodwinked.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
But Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.......

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Oooh man. Burn! Good for you though. He was praobably mortified at the time, but in years to come he'll have none of the guilt (I still feel bad for stealing my parent's car that night and landing in jail...) and good memories of his ol' man crashing the party. Something you'll both reminisce about in time.

I hope you had a good time. :)

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Good job Coop! he'll thank you later. I ended up taking my teenagers to a big punk show at the Wiltern, They thought for sure they would have no fun. Turned out we all had a blast in the pit and they were surprised the old man could hold his own in there!

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
If he's anything like when we were at that age the one's you catch are only a small portion of the whole.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
I still feel bad for stealing my parent's car that night and landing in jail...
Story time!

He must be right at about that age where he just begins to figure out (although not admit) that surprisingly all parents aren't idiots.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Owned!!!!!! :biggrin5:

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Dude, did you light the place up with teh flamethrower?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Sooooooooo glad those days are behind me...

I don't know if the kids have settled down, but they're 28 and 23 and don't live with me or drive on my insurance. With the phrase "they're adults now, and can live their own lives" comes a peace of mind I thought was gone forever.
But let me just say that if you also have a younger daughter, your problems have not yet begun.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Coopie will tell this story for decades. "Then there was the time I tried to sneak out to an all night rave party...." :cryin:

I'd like to hear more about this relationship. :)
thinkcooper said:
Turns out Thinkcooper knows the rave host really, really well.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I was really lucky that my older brother tried to push the boundries so far that my disobedience was tame. Imagine a father that once was a detective that now was a helicopter pilot that owned his own helicopter company. My brother and his friends would plan keg parties in the middle of nowhere at night. Problem was that pops could figger out the lie and then bust them using a chopper. More than once my brothers fun was invaded by dad overhead. Needless to say I didn't go parties in fields and I would have to hide my car in peoples garages (especially my girlfriends) if I didn't want dad to catch me somewhere I wasn't supposed to be.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
Nice job, Coop.
How's the boy taking it?
Didja make him eat all the leftover ecstasy and drink all the leftover Redbull?

The first night my dad caught me drunk, stinking of cigs, I had to do the whole 'smoke em till they're gone thing'. Didn't really have a problem with that.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Your son thinks he has an uptight dad? I still can't wrap my head around that thought.....

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
There's a complicated back story here - suffice to say, he's moving from our house to live with his birth father on the east coast. His other father arrived Friday night so we could execute our plan. We've arrived at the point where the erosion of trust forces our hand...

murbike said:
Didja make him eat all the leftover ecstasy and drink all the leftover Redbull?
I texted him the following on his way to the rave, in his birth father's car: "So when you're out tonight "with the need to stay hydrated" think about how well "being dishonest to those who've loved you your whole life, not just since tonight" has served you today."

Heavy.

They came home early last night, and he's just starting to process the consequences. And we're searching for school transfer details, and a cheap one way ticket to Dulles.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Woah. Did you explain this in another thread? Or can you explain it here? I think I'm missing something big

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
estone2 said:
Woah. Did you explain this in another thread? Or can you explain it here? I think I'm missing something big
Sorry - no can do. I don't have many boundaries but detailing this situation was one of them.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
kykr13 said:
He must be right at about that age where he just begins to figure out (although not admit) that surprisingly all parents aren't idiots.
I found that being up front with them gets you farther than lying ever will.

Weirdest thing... I could go out every night if I said "I'm going out to a party, there will be alcohol... but I'm driving home so I'm not drinking."

When I said there wasn't alcohol, but I was going out to a friend's house, if it was a partying friend I'd get axed. Probably because my dad was a teacher at the school and knew who partied.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts