Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Woke up late this morning, so I high-tail it over to Old Town hoping the gang is running late too. Sure enough, they are.

Pull up, and J's ain't even geared up, no bike in sight....yo J's, WTF?!?

Well, turns out, his weak ass is gonna go on the "girl's ride". Snap and Eddy are gonna ride near the Coronado. Turns out Dave Hickey is joining them too. Ahh....weak! Wait a minute, maybe his was J's plan all along. Show up, drink lots, then join the women folk....hmm maybe it's not such a bad plan....!

Great, now who's gonna help join me off the back of the hammerheads group? Turns out, I'll have company in the form of a fellow 'Nago rider.

ATPJunkie leads up the climb first, so up we go to Mt. Soledad

1.) Eddy, J's, Len J, with Starliner behind Len
2.) The Group!
3.) The fast guys
4.) Mt Soledad
5.) View From Mt. Soledad

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The view from Mt.Soledad provides great panoramic scenes on all sides. We stop to take some group pics.

1.) Group Shot (il sogno, ATP, Len J, Mapei, Mickey-Mac, RW)
2.) Mr. and Mrs. Roida
3.) Two LX21s
4.) Nice Jersey, RW!
5.) Pano

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The descent down from Mt. Soledad was a blast! ATP and RW were out front, and I chased and tucked in. Half way down, Len J drafts right past me, dang it! At the bottom, my computer confirms my exhilaration, 48.1 mph....sweet!

Took these shots during a subsequent flat fix. Only had 1 flat amongst 9 riders for the entire day, not bad.
Ever wonder what kinds of bikes your fellow RBR'ers ride?
Wonder no more (steel definitely seemed to be the frame material of choice):

1.) Mickey Macs custom Strong steel frame
2.) Il Sogno's Colnago Dream
3.) Len and ATP's Merckx
4.) RW's Della Santa
5.) Svend's Cervelo
6.) Starliner's Tsunami

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics from La Jolla

1.) La Jolla Cove
2.) La Jolla Cove
3.) Good day for a wedding on the beach
4.) Seals sunning themselves

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1.) Len J, takes in the scene
2.) Mapei Roida enjoys SD
3.) ATP tells us how many more hours or riding till lunch
4.) Len J and ATP
5.) SPAWAR Underwater testing facility

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After 3 hours and 45 minutes, 2181 calories, and 38 miles, we make our way back to Old Town for the end of the ride. Just in time for me, as my legs are heavy and I can feel the onset of cramp twinges in my legs.

Clean up, then we all agree on the classic post ride food: pizza and beer. And not just ANY pizza, we're talkin' Chicago style deep dish, thick crust pizza from Lefty's!

The food is hot, the beer is cold, the company is warm. Of course, a favorite topic is talking about all our favorite RBR regulars, especially those that couldn't make it to the ride! And reminiscing on posts and personalities past and present.

I take this opportunity to hand out the two jerseys. The first one goes to Len J, who gets the long distance award from the Eastern shore of Maryland.

As Len J suggests, I award the second jersey to atpjunkie, for being an excellent host, a worthy guide, a great story teller, and an all around great guy. Thanks so much for all your help in making the second RoadBikeReview Gathering a success!

1.) Len shows off his New Tribal
2.) ATP is stoked!
3.) You know the pizza's gonna be good, when the owner rides a fixie!

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1.) ATP tells us about his last fishing trip
2.) A picture of Svend taking a picture
3.) Group shot at Point Loma, the Coronado is visible in the background

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
gregg said:
Well, turns out, his weak ass is gonna go on the "girl's ride".
J's is all about the ladies! Have you not been paying attention?

Thanks for the pics and write up. Wish I was there.... on the "girl's ride", because I have my priorities right.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Wow, jealousy reigns supreme from this part of the world. Blue skies, warm temps, great scenic riding and good company. Nice to see ATP, Len and the gang having fun. As for us here two hours south of the Arctic Circle, beautiful weather today, partly sunny and -2C :).
Cheers, Wayne
ps. Thanks for the update Gregg.

·
off the back
15,581 Posts
last time i visited my sister in san diego, about six years ago, she took us to breakfast at a little place in La Jolla, right about where those pictures were taken. and after, we went on a little tour of the caves along the cliffside.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Wow, jealousy reigns supreme from this part of the world. Blue skies, warm temps, great scenic riding and good company. Nice to see ATP, Len and the gang having fun. As for us here two hours south of the Arctic Circle, beautiful weather today, partly sunny and -2C :).
Cheers, Wayne
ps. Thanks for the update Gregg.
No jealousy required, Wayne. We started the rides early enough in the am so as a SoCal resident, I froze my tushie off. :eek:

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
The Friday morning report

What's missing so far is a survivor's account of the Friday morning ride from the hotel. Len, Badley, atp, Starliner, Big Bill, and I meet up at 9 a.m. Friday for what I think is going to be a beginning of the weekend warm-up ride. We chat for a few minutes and then roll out of Old Town. We hit the narrow winding bike path through the park and adjacent to the river and conversational pace. After getting back on the road, atp's at the front like a damn diesel locomotive with a cocaine-snorting engineer at the controls.
We're moving along on the flats at mid to high 20s about 4 miles into the road.

Then we hit what atp likes to call a "false flat." What he likes to call a "false flat" is known as a "hill" to everyone I've ever known. Through UCSD and to the top of Torrey Pines for the first long descent, where we all learn the most important lesson of the weekend: when the road starts to go down, grab atp's wheel, put it in your biggest gear, and hold on to the bottom. After a long 40 something descent on Torrey Pines, we're off for more false flats (hills) and rollers (big hills, followed by bigger hills). atp pulls us through some of the priciest houses in the country but they're hard to see when blood's coming out your eyes.

After loads of these "false flats" and "rollers," we're back to PCH in Encinitas, where we hit the 7-11 for food, water, and caffeine. We then have a tail-wind back toward Old Town, which is nice. However, we have to go back up Torrey Pines, which isn't as nice. Around this point, the ride splits up a bit, with Bill, Starliner, Badley, and me confident we know the route back to the hotel. After a wrong turn, that leads us down a flying descent, we realize we went the wrong way. Fortunately, we find a SDFD Batallion Chief and ask him for directions. Unfortunately, it's his second day in SD and although he's a nice guy, he doesn't know his ass from a hot rock when it comes to giving directions around San Diego. However, the guy's game and spends a fair amount of time going over the Thomas Guide to make sure we get back safely. The four of us make our way through some of the less bike-friendly roads in the city and then fight a sidewind, making it back to the hotel just in time to start receiving Jack Daniel's fueled calls from the Js.

All in all, we wound up with about 70 miles and an unknown number of feet climbing.

Lessons from the first half of day 1:
on the descents, find atp's wheel.
on the flats, find atp's wheel.
on the climbs, find atp's wheel.
atp's a monster.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Great summary.......

except you forgot about "Breastfast". :p

and

When you're struggling....ATP's the greatest guy to have around encouraging you.

Hat's off to ATP & Svend for being the best hosts.

I'll post more later.

Len

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
J's and the waitress

Here's a picture of the most frightened waitress in SD. For some reason, she agreed to pose for a pic with Js late Friday afternoon. She appeared to regret the decision as soon as she made it but did her best to put on something resembling a smile. As soon as the flash popped, she ran away mumbling something about her shift ending.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
mickey-mac said:
Lessons from the first half of day 1:
on the descents, find atp's wheel.
on the flats, find atp's wheel.
on the climbs, find atp's wheel.
atp's a monster.
True dat.

Gregg caught the essence of some very fine riding around SD.

I'll probably post a few more pics pretty quick, but they won't be of much riding as it has been pretty well covered here, but also the scarcity of riding pics from RW being due to the fact I was

A: so busy working my heinie off trying to do all the above RE: finding atp's wheel and/or

B: when I wasn't finding atp's wheel I was working so hard trying to rearrange my heart and lungs back into my chest that taking pics was really not on the agenda

ATP is a great one for launching into these fantastic detailed road-map-like directions; full of asides and don't take that-a- ways and digressions, regressions, forgressions, transgressions, roundabouts and 8x10 colored glossys. We all nodded our heads about twenty times and were certain we knew the way back to town... yeah, right. It certainly made for a heckuvan adventure.

On Saturday we were just finishing a stretch of path that ATP had pulled us once again at some ungodly speed when this gal (or one very similar) on a nice C-dale approached and asked for directions for any good rides... she was a lost University student down from Seattle. She appeared quite talented.

Now of course we deferred this task to ATP, as he knows the area etc...(tho I'm pretty sure she just wanted a chat with hunky ATP, as he is quite the babe magnet) Ten minutes of detailed instructions with included asides, don't take that-a- ways, digressions, regressions, forgressions, transgressions, roundabouts and 8x10 colored glossys and this poor girl was ready to hop on the passing trolley and head back to Seattle.

It's possible she got so lost she ended up on the cover of some magazine searching for the missing students. She may be on the back of milk cartons by now for all I know...

;-)

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
rwbadley said:
ATP is a great one for launching into these fantastic detailed road-map-like directions; full of asides and don't take that-a- ways and digressions, regressions, forgressions, transgressions, roundabouts and 8x10 colored glossys. We all nodded our heads about twenty times and were certain we knew the way back to town... yeah, right. It certainly made for a heckuvan adventure.

On Saturday we were just finishing a stretch of path that ATP had pulled us once again at some ungodly speed when this gal (or one very similar) on a nice C-dale approached and asked for directions for any good rides... she was a lost University student down from Seattle. She appeared quite talented.

Now of course we deferred this task to ATP, as he knows the area etc...(tho I'm pretty sure she just wanted a chat with hunky ATP, as he is quite the babe magnet) Ten minutes of detailed instructions with included asides, don't take that-a- ways, digressions, regressions, forgressions, transgressions, roundabouts and 8x10 colored glossys and this poor girl was ready to hop on the passing trolley and head back to Seattle.
;-)
Which must've been why the rest of us riding up to you guys a couple of minutes later saw her riding the wrong way down the sidewalk! :D ;)

·
What the Hell is going on
5,141 Posts
Inside Torrey Pines

However said:
Be thankful that ATP didn't take you up "inside" Torrey Pines. Or did he?

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, how much did'ya have to bribe that waitress for taking that pic?!

Great shot, mm, almost spit up my coffee >> "she ran away mumbling something about her shift ending."

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
My heart sank when we pulled up to the ride start and saw that J's, Snap and eddy were all in their civilian clothes. I felt the same way that gregg did.

The ride started out in the early morning cold. After a couple of miles we hit the climb up Soledad mountain. I got suspicious when atp told me the first mile was the toughest. :rolleyes:

I chatted my way up the mountain with Svend. Great views from the top and like gregg said the descent was awesome!

The sea otters in La Jolla were my favorite part of the ride. They get to eat and then lie on the beach sunning themselves all day. There was a classic PO moment Svend chewed out a guy who wants to have a BBQ on the beach to protest the prioritizing of sea otters over humans on the beach.

From La Jolla atp leads us through the uber-rich sections of town, regaling us with stories of him and Svend's college days. We all chuckle over how atp's stories always seem to start with "I remember once when one of my old girlfriends and I... " yadda, yadda, yadda. atp has an old girlfriend for every story! :p

The only traffic problem happened on this stretch when a surfer made a quick left turn in front of Len. This guy wound up bouncing his car up over the curb to snatch a parking spot. In the meantime Len had to make an emergency maneuver to keep from piling into the turning car. He said something to the surfer and the guy replied with “Hey I saw you, man”. Lotta good that did Len seeing he was the one who had to keep from crashing into the guy. :rolleyes:

We climb up to Point Loma for magnificent views of SD and the ocean. Off in the distance is Coronado Island where we later find out Snap and co. are hanging out. We cruise down the mountain and in to SD for the Chicago style pizza lunch gregg describes.

Later on we meet for dinner and after a considerable amount of wandering around, decide to go to yet another Mexican restaurant in old town. This place serves up bathtub sized margaritas. Lots of fun, great conversation and good times. After dinner the group splits up. Some of us retire for the night. J’s, atp and co. head to another bar.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts