Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, that's me (except for the salary, since I ain't near the median much less the mean). Second only to software engineer.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/top50/index.html

Rankings are based on stress levels, flexibility in hours and working environment, creativity, and how easy it is to enter and advance in the field. So where do you fall?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
dr hoo said:
Yep, that's me (except for the salary, since I ain't near the median much less the mean). Second only to software engineer.

Rankings are based on stress levels, flexibility in hours and working environment, creativity, and how easy it is to enter and advance in the field. So where do you fall?
Software Engineer is only a good job when you work on cool stuff. Otherwise, it sucks.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
I'm at #3

dr hoo said:

Financial Advisor......'nuff said. Oh yeah - since I run my own business and it's sunny and tomorrow is a holiday and business is slow, I'm leaving to go on a looooong ride. Satisfying job..yeah!

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
According to what I actually do, I'm #7. If I go by title I'm not on the list.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
snapdragen said:
According to what I actually do, I'm #7. If I go by title I'm not on the list.
Dunno...my job is an amalgamation of a bunch of those, but I'd guess top 10.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
#7, but i also fall nowhere near that salary.

and, what means "bonus"?? is that CODE? dear gawd, somebody help me!!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
41 out of 50

Gee, I like my job a lot better than most of the job titles that rank as "better." And at this stage of my career, I earn above average for the classification, so I live as comfortably as I want. It was more luck than good planning and deliberation, but I'm satisfied that I made a good career choice.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine is unranked, and when I found it, the growth potential is less than 5 percent.

But my wife is a College Professor. So I sent her the list and told her she isn't allowed to b*tch about her job any more.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I don't see mine on there, which would mostly be IT Babysitting/Web Marketing and Project Management.

I think where you do what you do has a lot to do (whew!) with how stressful/nice your job is. I do pretty well on that score. And on the salary side, too, actually--not too many on the list that bring in more than I make. Bear in mind, though, that my salary is high because they put me on partial commission when we launched a new version of the website. It made so much money they had to take me back off commission--the next year I was looking at something ridiculous like $300K in commissions (rivaling our CEO's pay, I think)--but couldn't very well cut my pay back to what it had been before. So I got a FAT raise then, but now it doesn't grow any faster than anybody else's.

Doesn't mean I particularly like what I do, but it does mean I don't particularly want to do it anywhere else.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Doesn't mean I particularly like what I do, but it does mean I don't particularly want to do it anywhere else.
I can identify with that. The devil you know and all...:cool:

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Well, I'm a graduate student, trying to acheive number two. So I'm not even on the list of top-100, which feels about right. Also, I only make about 1/6th of that claimed median salary.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Years ago, I had what is #17...what was I thinking?

And in between, I had a title that didn't make the cut...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Lucky number 13.

Technical writer. I make a lot more than the average. YEAH! But then again, the median home price around here (Silicon Valley) is $720 K - condos almost $500 K.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
#14 Chiropractor and I'm happy to note that I'm well in the top 5%

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
#7, but i also fall nowhere near that salary.

and, what means "bonus"?? is that CODE? dear gawd, somebody help me!!!

I'm at #7 as well - Network Operations Director. The description pretty much sums up my job. I fall in the top 25% salary wise which is probably low for DC Metro area/east coast in general. Don't care though, my company is a great place to work.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
bsdc said:
#14 Chiropractor and I'm happy to note that I'm well in the top 5%

Yep, Physician Assistant, #5, luckily I make quite a bit more than that figure quoted. But nice to know we are in the top 5....:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts