Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Workin' for the Man
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Practice makes perfect.

I'm not a beginner rider by any means, but I'd always made excuses for not getting into the wrenching aspects except for the most basic necessities. I finally bought a new chain tool that's compatible with today's lighter, narrower chains, and decided to change my own chain. How hard could it be?

I removed the old chain, and I knew it was too long, so I eyeballed it and removed a few links from the new chain. Don't try that method, unless you know what you're doing. I certainly didn't. I threaded the new chain in, placed the new (Shimano) rivet on, and began to push it in. Snap! Back to the shop for a new rivet.

I bought three, just in case. That's $2.00 each, by the way! The 2nd time worked, but the chain was too short...I added two links back, which used the other two rivets. Almost done.

My question: one of the links is still a little tight -- what's a good technique to loosen it? Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
The time's I've had to loosen a sticky link in a chain, I've just grabbed the two links in my hands and bent the chain up and down over and over again (i.e., make a "V" shape, and then an upside-down "V" shape with the chain). Bend the chain a few dozen times and your sticky link should go away.

Your hands will get filthy, so either wear gloves or have some hand-cleaner available.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
kfurrow said:
The time's I've had to loosen a sticky link in a chain, I've just grabbed the two links in my hands and bent the chain up and down over and over again (i.e., make a "V" shape, and then an upside-down "V" shape with the chain). Bend the chain a few dozen times and your sticky link should go away.

Your hands will get filthy, so either wear gloves or have some hand-cleaner available.
...and if this doesn't work hold your thumbs/ forefingers on either side of the stiff link and 'bend' fore/ aft as if you were trying to spread the outer links (which you are).

If that doesn't work, using your chain tool place the chain in the center section but tighten against the opposite side of the rivet pin as when you installed it. The chain tool will (obviously) be facing the opposite way (as it was during the install). Use minimal pressure, because the goal is to slightly loosen the plate, not compromise the pin position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.