Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have any experience using self-sealing tubes? All I can tell is that they weigh a little more than normal tubes, but there's gotta be more to them ... good and bad.

Looking forward to your feedback ...

·
Registered
462 Posts
I run them in my CX bike. The only real disadvatage is the weight. The advantage in 18 races not 1 flat. I did hear a flat starting and lost a little air but the sealant did it's job. I think the sealant can harden over time and clog up the valve stem but I haven't had any issues yet.

·
i love desk! i love lamp!
51 Posts
travis200 said:
I run them in my CX bike. The only real disadvatage is the weight. The advantage in 18 races not 1 flat. I did hear a flat starting and lost a little air but the sealant did it's job. I think the sealant can harden over time and clog up the valve stem but I haven't had any issues yet.
If you don't mind me asking, which tubes are you using and how much psi do you normally run? Thanks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I use the Specialized Air Locks for all 18 races and Bontrager (slime) tubes in my pit bike both are the 700 x 28-32 size. I typically run around 45 psi front and rear sometimes as high as 50-55 if it's a road type course.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've used Specialized Airlock tubes on my road bikes (700 x 25 - abt 95 PSI usually) for several years now. These are an excellent product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Slime tubes

I ordered a pair of these seemingly amazing marvels of modern technology a month or two ago, and have only just now gotten around to putting them in, not having had any flats in that long, until today - but that's another story.
In my little 700x23s, it seems somewhat sub-optimal. Now, with the slime tubes installed, my wheels seem always out of balance! The stuff seems to spread out somewhat over time, or I might just get more accustomed to the wobbling. Is it perhaps intended for riding somewhere where there are no red lights ever? Or am I just being impatient? I certainly hope I'm just overreacting and this kind of thing is normal at first and then goes away forever after riding on them...

Judging by how much people seem to revere these things, I'm hoping that's the case; but nobody seems to use them in skinny tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts