Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
your god hates me
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a characteristic sound of my carbon frame (Cannondale Synapse) that I also noticed rather blatantly when I test rode a Kestrel Talon SL, and, to a lesser extent, a Giant TCR & an S-Works Tarmac: It's like a "clattering" or almost a wooden "clackety-clack" when I ride over very rough pavement.

Anyone else notice this?

More importantly: anyone know what causes this sound in the first place? Is it literally the sound of the frame vibrating, or "echoes" of road chatter resonating through the hollow frame members? Or is it indicative of some loose component rattling *against* the frame?

·
pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
On really rough stuff, the sounds I tend to hear seem to be created by either cables vibrating against the head tube or my stupid Shimano shift levers swinging about then bouncing back in place. Oh, and my teeth chattering, too.

·
The Gimlet Eye
933 Posts
"On the Kestrel, it's the shift cable that runs through the inside of the frame that makes the clackity sound. I'm guessing it's the same sound on the other bikes, except on the outside."

*copied from the other forum you posted this question in*

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I don't know why, but the "sound" of carbon is a bit of a fwap-clack.

Al goes "ping," and steel "ring," so, what can you do?

The worst / craziest noise is folks shifting Zipp 404's or other deep-dish carbon wheels under load. They make this really LOUD "fwap!" noise that sounds like something breaking.

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
Argentius said:
I don't know why, but the "sound" of carbon is a bit of a fwap-clack.

Al goes "ping," and steel "ring," so, what can you do?

The worst / craziest noise is folks shifting Zipp 404's or other deep-dish carbon wheels under load. They make this really LOUD "fwap!" noise that sounds like something breaking.
Not to mention the creak-creak-creak under out-of-the-saddle accellerations. Gotta love that.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
some do, some don't...

Some carbon frames are great sounding drums. Aluminum frames are not exempt from this problem. Every little bit of vibration, click or creak is amplified by the frame. I've not noticed this at all with any of my three LOOK frames or two Colnago C-40's. It was evident on the Cervelo R3 that I rode recently.

Deep dish carbon wheels have the same problem. Some are outrageously noisy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
so I'm to gather that noise from a frame / fork / wherever is nothing unusual?

I get a weird cyclical non-metallic 'click - click' out of my bike.. its not constant, but is more noticeable when I'm in the drops....

Its a brand new Roubaix, so it has me a bit nervous (very out of shape rider trying to better himself)... I can't exactly tell where its coming from, my guess is the seat or seatpost exacerbated by poor form.

·
Registered
213 Posts
try a smooth quiet Giant OCR C

I've put about 300 miles on mine and it don't make no noise to speak of. Over the past 5 years I have owned a bunch of bikes in all steel, steel with carbon fork, ti with carbon fork and these days the OCR C is my first choice. Granted it is the newest, but I love how light it is and it just rides too good to be simply a bike.

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
C-40 said:
As for carbon frames creaking while pedaling standing, that's pure baloney.
I agree. I was referring to deep-rimmed wheels, Zipps especially.

On the other hand, the rumble of a disc wheel is something that can be pretty cool.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
MaestroXC said:
I agree. I was referring to deep-rimmed wheels, Zipps especially.

On the other hand, the rumble of a disc wheel is something that can be pretty cool.
My deep rimmed CF Reynolds tubies don't make any more noise than any other wheelset I've ever had. Sure, the valve extensions clicked against the valve holes on the first ride, but that was only 'cuz I'd forgot to use the magical electrical tape to stop the clicking. Otherwise, bumps or whatever other road discontinuities or obstacles sound just like they do on any other wheel.

·
Registered
368 Posts
MaestroXC said:
Not to mention the creak-creak-creak under out-of-the-saddle accellerations. Gotta love that.
Not the frame my friend - it is the frame amplifying a noise from soemwhere else. Check the following (all of which have caused creaking noises on my TCR):

1. Grease the fork tips and rear drops - minute movement between the axles and tips/drops.
2. Clean and repack your headset.
3. Check the spacers on your headset. i have replaces multiple Cb spacers with correct size Al spacers.
4. Check your cleats - are they worn or dirty? That will sometimes produce a noise.
5. Check the cranks sufficently tight?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
Yes indeed tarwheel, my steel bike is the quietest one in the stable. The rattling of the cables doesn't seem to transmit itself through the frame, and the steel deadens road noise from the tires.

My carbon bike does clack over pavement irregularities. It comes either from cable slap or loose inserts on my Ciussi bottle cages, I'm not sure which. The carbon frame also transmits more road noise.

My alu bike, meantime, gave me the most road noise roar. But in the general scheme of things, it was still a pretty quiet piece of transportation. And I kind of dug the ping and clank of the chain slapping the chainstay and such.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.