Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've started seriously riding again, which for me means riding 3 teams a weak on club rides that spit me out the back, and either mountain biking or doing recovery rides the other 4 days of the week.

I took a long break over the winter for no good reason, but my goal right now is to get back in shape as soon as possible, so I can hang with my usual group, which has been averaging about 20 mph. I'm finishing the same rides up around 18 mph. What usually happens is that I hang with the group for the first 1/2 of the ride, then blow up, and have to ride home with the stragglers. BTW, this is the B group, where I live.

I rode yesterday on my own, with a heartrate monitor. I tried to keep my heartrate around 135, which is supposed to be my zone 1 heartrate based on a rough estimate for someone my age. I was surprised at how much effort that required. I also noticed that my hamstrings seemed to get tight before my quads would. This has actually been happening a lot, and I don't know why. Am I doing something wrong, or does it sound like a basic fitu issue?

I'd also appreciate any newbie training tips y'all might have. I'm eating less, and riding more, so I'm sure I will see improvement, but of course, I'd like to optimize that improvement. Thanks in advance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.