Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since folks have been asking about my planned spring century here is the deal so far.

The current status of the route is that we have a general idea to ride out and back from a Holiday Inn in Frederick, MD to and through the Gettysburg Battlefields.

I expect that there will be a bit less total climbing than the Fall NSA/OCE fixte century. I am still planning for an April weekend and I will try to keep everyone informed when plans are a little firmer. I run a 42/16, Miss M runs a bit taller gear. Although there will be less climbing overall some of the climbing will be actual hills instead of the rollies we did in Virginia. I am also thinking of a option (i.e. you don't have to do it) for a true hillclimb around mile 75 with a great downhill for those with freewheels.

If anyone from way out of town wants to fly in for the ride I will let them pick the date. If anyone with a derailleur bike wants to do the ride that is more than fine (how about trying to shift less than 10 times for the 100 miles). I expect to have a metric century option. It will be a non-supported ride with country stores every 10-15 miles.

Right now the route is a bit under the weather but I hope to have ridden all of it and have a route slip by the end of this month. Post your questions and I will try to answer them.

·
Non non normal
10,140 Posts
I hope I can make it and I don't embarrass myself on the hills. I am still working out the bugs on my new fixed but have finally thought up some sticker ideas so maybe once I name her she will climb faster.

Frederick is only 2 hours from here. If you and Miss M need a change of scenery just let me know and I will email you a few ride sheets from this area which is less than two hours from DC.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Still looking forward to it...

I'm looking forward to it.

Assuming that I can make it, I think I'll plan to stay over the night before somewhere nearby. If anyone from the NYC/NJ area (or further North) is considering the trip, we could car pool and/or split a room. I'm in central Jersey, just minutes off the NJ Turnpike.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We will most likely start at a Holiday Inn

right off of 15 with lots of places to eat nearby. If you want to make a weekend of it there are lots of rides that start there and we can provide route slips.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
It should be no problem for me-a straight shot down 15. Hopefully, I'll be able to get enough miles in not to look too bad ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in, too

I'll be driving up I-95 from Jacksonville, so it'll be a weekend trip. If anyone is coming from points south of DC and would like to carpool, let me know. I had originally thought about bringing my wife and son for a couple of days of sightseeing, but we'll be coming up to DC in late June now, so they won't be making this trip.

MB1, can you post the address/contact information for the Holiday Inn? I imagine that that would be the best place to stay for the weekend?

Any weekend in April or May is ok with me, except for April 17-18th. TOSRV South is that weekend, in Tallahassee. If you decide to do it that weekend, that's fine, I'll see you in the fall for the NSA/OCE.

Thank you, MB1, for hosting this event and giving us an opportunity to get together. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and having a great time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
MB1 said:
Since folks have been asking about my planned spring century here is the deal so far.

The current status of the route is that we have a general idea to ride out and back from a Holiday Inn in Frederick, MD to and through the Gettysburg Battlefields.

This sounds like a dream come true for me. One of my best friends lives in Northern VA and this would give me a great excuse to visit. It's a 500 mile drive for me.

I may be able to come Easter Weekend (April 10-11), but it's too early for me to say for sure. Please keep us updated on this century ride. If others say that Easter weekend is bad (I know, I am a heathen), then schedule it so that you can maximize turnout.

If I can attend, I am bringing every one of my gears. ;)

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
I'll be coming up from Alexandria. Maybe with a few other Lardbutts. I'll have eigth gears, but I'll try to stay in the 42/16.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
National is closer to DC, Dulles is likely closer to the ride.

I'd go for the best price.

I'm thinking that if folks are going to come a long way to do the ride I might also offer a fairly easy effort tour of the city on the same weekend. It is a great city to ride in.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
MB1 said:

I'm thinking that if folks are going to come a long way to do the ride I might also offer a fairly easy effort tour of the city on the same weekend. It is a great city to ride in.

That sounds great. My wife works for an airline, so cost is not important. I'll probably fly into Dulles and stay at the Holiday Inn... Tour of DC is a great idea......

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Tour de DC

MB1 said:

DC is a great city to ride in. The traffic is hell during the week but disappears on weekend mornings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.