Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halftime show. Was Mick Jagger scary looking or what?? I was afraid my kids would have nightmares. My eleven year old daughter was thoroughly unimpressed. I guess it was better than Paul McCartney or "nipplegate". At least I knew the music vs Justin Timberlake and other bubble gum white boy wanna-be rappers.

I was very impressed on how he moved for a 63 year old guy. Jeez...I hope I can move like that when I'm in my 60's. Not that I would want to make some of his moves. Rather feminine. Really...how many 60 year old guys do you know who can dance, prance, jump, gyrate, grind their hips (to quote my daughters "ahhh...it hurts my eyes...turn it off"), and rock like Mick??

Maybe next year will be the Beach Boys?? Gotta go with someone safe without breasts.
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
I don't know about you, but I'd rather see boobies than that. It was NOT a very good show, IMHO.
 

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree..lousy show

Kram59 said:
I don't know about you, but I'd rather see boobies than that. It was NOT a very good show, IMHO.
Lousy sound quality. Mick and da boys seemed to not to care less about the show. But that's typical of a 3 song "show" from anyone.

I agree, I'd like to see the boobies too but it will be years before we have any "cutting" edge performers again. Not that Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake qualified as "cutting edge. I would have been happy with more commercials. Loved the Budweiser "dissappearing fridge" commercial. My favorite.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
physasst said:
The guitar was AWFUL....my god, my 10 year old nephew could play better than they did. Even my wife, who knows little about guitar, commented on how bad they sounded...... :(
unfortunately they played better than I could have played--but not by a lot! ;)

Definately phoned it in--Mick can buy the new Mercedes now. They seemed like a parody of themselves. Pretty bad.

Anyone noticed they censored some lyrics? You make a dead man--then the mike went dead for a second. In the 2nd song they censored a whole line or 2.
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Yep

mohair_chair said:
It would have been nice to see the show instead of the rehearsal. Everything about it was pretty sloppy.

The guitar was AWFUL....my god, my 10 year old nephew could play better than they did. Even my wife, who knows little about guitar, commented on how bad they sounded...... :(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Halftime shows invariably suck. But about Jagger....

Only thing that's every impressed me about SB halftime shows is how quickly they can set all that stuff up. I'd love to see an explanation of that.
As for Jagger, though, I invented a statistic for a column the other day that will make Baby Boomers feel like the geezers we are: If you're out toward the leading edge of the Boom, in your 50s or so, Mick is almost 10 years older now than Lawrence Welk was when you used to sneer at him in your grandmother's living room.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Cory said:
Only thing that's every impressed me about SB halftime shows is how quickly they can set all that stuff up. I'd love to see an explanation of that.
As for Jagger, though, I invented a statistic for a column the other day that will make Baby Boomers feel like the geezers we are: If you're out toward the leading edge of the Boom, in your 50s or so, Mick is almost 10 years older now than Lawrence Welk was when you used to sneer at him in your grandmother's living room.
...and a Bobbie and a Suzie....ummm I mean Keith and Ronnie...
 

·
Soon to be banned
Joined
·
14,475 Posts
PaulCL said:
Halftime show. Was Mick Jagger scary looking or what?? I was afraid my kids would have nightmares. My eleven year old daughter was thoroughly unimpressed. I guess it was better than Paul McCartney or "nipplegate". At least I knew the music vs Justin Timberlake and other bubble gum white boy wanna-be rappers.

I was very impressed on how he moved for a 63 year old guy. Jeez...I hope I can move like that when I'm in my 60's. Not that I would want to make some of his moves. Rather feminine. Really...how many 60 year old guys do you know who can dance, prance, jump, gyrate, grind their hips (to quote my daughters "ahhh...it hurts my eyes...turn it off"), and rock like Mick??

Maybe next year will be the Beach Boys?? Gotta go with someone safe without breasts.
My fear is when Mick falls and breaks a hip, does he then come out in a walker?

They sounded aweful because they don't warm up. It takes a while for arthritis in the fingers to losen up.

Perhaps this sounds like age-ism, but I think they should retire gracefully. Are they addicted to performing or the money? Beyond one or two songs, I've never really liked the Stones... Now Led Zepplin, that was a band.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I saw them when they opened their tour at Fenway Park last summer, and they had a lot more energy then. My friend who saw them with me at Fenway, and then saw them at the Boston Garden this winter said they sounded tired compared to their Fenway show a few months earlier... After seeing last night's show, they either don't care or they really are tired and need a break from touring for a while.

I'd like to see someone like the Foo Fighers perform... but like it has been said already, I'm not sure anyone can have a great three song set in an environment like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Retirement...

YakuzaSmurf said:
I saw them when they opened their tour at Fenway Park last summer, and they had a lot more energy then. My friend who saw them with me at Fenway, and then saw them at the Boston Garden this winter said they sounded tired compared to their Fenway show a few months earlier... After seeing last night's show, they either don't care or they really are tired and need a break from touring for a while.

I'd like to see someone like the Foo Fighers perform... but like it has been said already, I'm not sure anyone can have a great three song set in an environment like that.
They should retire and sit on their large piles of money and not do any more shows...

Then again, I hate The Rolling Stones, I'm one in a minority of folks who think that quite frankly, they stink, and have stunk (in my minority opinion once again) their entire careers. I can't stand them. I think their music is mundane, and unchallenging.
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
he deleted 'Come'

from the line "You make a dead man come"\

yeah they were loose, they were sloppy, they were the Stones. that's their deal baby and sloppy as it was,why BECAUSE IT WAS FRICKIN LIVE!

Ron Wood's slide paying was fine (nice Zemitis Guitar as well).Sound quality suffered again BECAUSE IT WAS LIVE!

I'll take it any day over some frickin' lip synced dance number. See this is the problem, folks have gotten spoiled on MTV and want studio quality in a live gig. So in effect you are responsible for the Ashlee Simpsons of the world. All these new artists can't come close to their studio sound live especially having to dance as well as sing, so they fake it.

a few years ago during halftime there was a bunch of lipsynced stuff and then Tony Bennet broke in. Now Tony's sound wasn't as crisp because Tony was live and it stood out against the high quality of all the fakery. So as a consumer you need to ask yourself. Do I want clean sounding fake performers or sloppier sounding real ones?
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
I liked the Nationwide Ins commercial w/ Fabio on it. LOL!
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
well

atpjunkie said:
from the line "You make a dead man come"\

yeah they were loose, they were sloppy, they were the Stones. that's their deal baby and sloppy as it was,why BECAUSE IT WAS FRICKIN LIVE!

Ron Wood's slide paying was fine (nice Zemitis Guitar as well).Sound quality suffered again BECAUSE IT WAS LIVE!

I'll take it any day over some frickin' lip synced dance number. See this is the problem, folks have gotten spoiled on MTV and want studio quality in a live gig. So in effect you are responsible for the Ashlee Simpsons of the world. All these new artists can't come close to their studio sound live especially having to dance as well as sing, so they fake it.

a few years ago during halftime there was a bunch of lipsynced stuff and then Tony Bennet broke in. Now Tony's sound wasn't as crisp because Tony was live and it stood out against the high quality of all the fakery. So as a consumer you need to ask yourself. Do I want clean sounding fake performers or sloppier sounding real ones?
Woodies playing was okay, but richards sucked...bad....I know they went on cold, but c'mon. Even live it should sound better than that. I played a lot of live gigs, and I don't think I ever sounded that bad, even with the first song.....although there were one or two nights when I was sick that might have been iffy, but still way better than that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
PaulCL said:
Halftime show. Was Mick Jagger scary looking or what?? I was afraid my kids would have nightmares. My eleven year old daughter was thoroughly unimpressed. I guess it was better than Paul McCartney or "nipplegate". At least I knew the music vs Justin Timberlake and other bubble gum white boy wanna-be rappers.

I was very impressed on how he moved for a 63 year old guy. Jeez...I hope I can move like that when I'm in my 60's. Not that I would want to make some of his moves. Rather feminine. Really...how many 60 year old guys do you know who can dance, prance, jump, gyrate, grind their hips (to quote my daughters "ahhh...it hurts my eyes...turn it off"), and rock like Mick??

Maybe next year will be the Beach Boys?? Gotta go with someone safe without breasts.
I think the show wasn't marred by bad playing as much as a horrible sound mix. You could barely hear the opening riffs to Start Me Up. The guitars cut in and out all the way through and bass was some sort of vroomy puddle of mud. There were brief moments of clarity and then it would sputter out again. I'd like to have heard what it sounded like in the stadium, maybe it was just as bad I don't know.


As far as Jagger goes, the guy is in phenomenal shape. For any age let alone 62. Hell I wouldn't have minded that body 10 years ago and I'm 39. As a matter of fact none of the stones appears to have tubbed out. Don't know if they look particularly "fit" but they all still move pretty well and can still fit in their size 32 jeans..
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Sintesi said:
As far as Jagger goes, the guy is in phenomenal shape. For any age let alone 62. Hell I wouldn't have minded that body 10 years ago and I'm 39. As a matter of fact none of the stones appears to have tubbed out. Don't know if they look particularly "fit" but they all still move pretty well and can still fit in their size 32 jeans..
Well they "appear" to be in good shape. They have stayed thin and can still run around the stage well enough, but remember that there is no drug testing in rock-n-roll. Getting fat from living the high life? Take some speed for a week or 2 and you're right back at your fighting weight. Note that they MAY be totally clean now, but thinking the Stones might resort to drugs once in a while is not a bnig break from reality.
 

·
Opus was just napping
Joined
·
21,283 Posts
atpjunkie said:
from the line "You make a dead man come"\

yeah they were loose, they were sloppy, they were the Stones. that's their deal baby and sloppy as it was,why BECAUSE IT WAS FRICKIN LIVE!

Ron Wood's slide paying was fine (nice Zemitis Guitar as well).Sound quality suffered again BECAUSE IT WAS LIVE!

I'll take it any day over some frickin' lip synced dance number. See this is the problem, folks have gotten spoiled on MTV and want studio quality in a live gig. So in effect you are responsible for the Ashlee Simpsons of the world. All these new artists can't come close to their studio sound live especially having to dance as well as sing, so they fake it.

a few years ago during halftime there was a bunch of lipsynced stuff and then Tony Bennet broke in. Now Tony's sound wasn't as crisp because Tony was live and it stood out against the high quality of all the fakery. So as a consumer you need to ask yourself. Do I want clean sounding fake performers or sloppier sounding real ones?
Going to agree wholeheartedly. The censorship was stupid (does anyone recall the stones in Asia playing let's spend some time together because of censorship...this should give people pause...Start me up is an anthem that has been played for years...and is absolutely ludicrous...soviet television is really a drag).

As for the rest...give me mick and the boys LIVE and you can keep your teeny bopping losers that never learned to actually sing into a microphone. And if you want to blame the sound blame ABC for not getting it right over their boards...it wasn't as if Ronnie and Keith forgot to plug in before coming on stage.

Thought they were fine...as a Detroiter it made me feel good that the Stones came to play at Ford Field.
 

·
Rep *****.
Joined
·
9,795 Posts
PaulCL said:
I was very impressed on how he moved for a 63 year old guy. Jeez...I hope I can move like that when I'm in my 60's. Not that I would want to make some of his moves. Rather feminine. Really...how many 60 year old guys do you know who can dance, prance, jump, gyrate, grind their hips (to quote my daughters "ahhh...it hurts my eyes...turn it off"), and rock like Mick??
These days the moves are involuntary.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top