Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and he's taking this year. dammit- for the first time in over a decade we're not getting a single penny back from the feds. having a part time job as a 1099er sucks.

anyone else?

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
If not for what we owe the feds, I could get a D90. Getting a bit back from state, but not enough to cover the feds.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Chain said:
If not for what we owe the feds, I could get a D90. Getting a bit back from state, but not enough to cover the feds.
I owe on both. Wife made too much money last year for my taxes to cover her like they usually do (I just eliminate one exemption I'm entitled to take). $93 to the Fed and $270 to the state and then another $180 to the tax man for preparing it. :rolleyes:

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I managed to just barely avoid the penalty for under-withholding. about as perfect as it gets IMO.

and it still makes me roll my eyes when people talk about "getting money back" from the gummint. what a scam.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I managed to just barely avoid the penalty for under-withholding. about as perfect as it gets IMO.

and it still makes me roll my eyes when people talk about "getting money back" from the gummint. what a scam.
No <del>shi</del> kidding! I'd rather pay in, as long as there's no penalty involved. They don't throw you extra cash when they owe you a lot of money...

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
For the 10th year in a row, the net owed/refunded is under $100.....it's a game with me.

Len

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Len J said:
For the 10th year in a row, the net owed/refunded is under $100.....it's a game with me.

Len
I think the best I ever did was come within ten bucks. Paid the feds a couple hundred and got almost the same back from State.

The year before I was pretty close also. Then I got married, had a kid, started a home business and it all when to pot. (No not that kind of pot. Closer to the kind of pot that people hide their soaked toilet paper behind)

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
I finally got under the $100 net owed/refunded mark.

I hit it this year courtesy of the sale of some ESPP shares. Probably won't be as lucky next year.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
This is the first year in many that I've gotten a refund. Now where to spend my $160. I feel so rich.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
firstrax said:
And your good at it!
estimating taxes is really pretty easy

len

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
I owe for both...

don't typically owe the Feds, but I had some capital gains this year (sold stocks before they totally went belly up...made about a grand)...so 240$ to state (typical year) and about $150 to the feds...the new track bike will have to wait a month or two...

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 20yo single stepson made 38k working at Buffalo Trace Distillery last year and is just SO pissed that he owes like a lousy $13 fed and $7 Ky. Sure, the days of getting it all back and blowing it on toys are gone but to be within $20 DOLLARS on a $38k taxable is what I would call break even! (BTW, the withholding tables accuracy has improved greatly in the last few years too)

As for me, The Fed's will get my $59 bal due and I'll leave my $231 on the table for KY but I'm going to just hold onto my 2009 estimated tax payment money this year. Well, at least until I feel better about one, what my 2009 year will be and two, because I may need it more if it begins to look like canned goods and shotguns.

BTW, this April 15th will complete my 30th tax season as a CPA in public practice. BFD.

·
®
3,209 Posts
Mr Bentwrench said:
BTW, this April 15th will complete my 30th tax season as a CPA in public practice. BFD.

and you have time to post on a cycling website on april 10th?!

(<-----fellow accountant)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Len J said:
estimating taxes is really pretty easy

len
all you people just don't understand. :D

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
I heart Turbo Tax.

Got a little refund but then I think...gee they had my money interest free.

Makes me boil. I look at how much is taken out of my paycheck and it just burns me up.

I now hate this thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.