Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have these massive lists of tips for the beginning rider to DO. Those bazillon things are difficult to remember and honestly when I think about trying to discern whether a rider is experienced... its NEVER the things they do...its the things they DONT DO. Nothing will signal a newbie... or a "inexperienced" rider more than some of the following things.

I cannot think of 100, but I imagine by the time this thread gets done there will be at least 100 things.

I will start with a few, explain why they are newbish and then let you guys add your own.

1. DONT RIDE aerobars in a group/pack. This may not only be considered newbish, its downright dangerous. I rode in a group ride where a young man biffed in the first 6 miles because he couldn't brake in time, steer around it, and ran into the back of another rider. Luckily, he didn't take down anyone else with them.

2. DONT RIDE in a group/pack with headphones. This is dangerous. Groups will always call out dangerous situations with varying frequency. If they don't, they should. Braking(slowing), holes, traffic coming from the rear (car back), etc etc. These signals are for your safety and not all groups have the ability to point out every thing. Wearing headphones will prevent you from being able to hear these cues. This makes it dangerous for you and others around you.

3. DONT RIDE nervously. Newbies are jittery as hell in a pack, especially when they are in a pack that may be faster than they are used to. Nervously means looking around a lot, swerving, pedaling erratically, and swerving the same direction when the rider looks right or left. This makes it difficult for riders and drivers to predict where you are going, and if they overlap your wheel, you will take them down. If you feel nervous in a pack, hang out near the rear, or near the middle line (not the gutter).

4. DONT RIDE hills like a newbie. This is a tough one, even for more experienced cyclists. I think as you ride more and become more acclimated to it and aware of it, it becomes easier to handle and easier to anticipate. This is what is called the backwards punt. When you are rolling quickly toward a climb in the saddle and then the pace quickens, what do you do... obviously stand up. The body's natural action is to stand, and at the same time, pull and or move the bike backwards in order to throw your weight more forward. This results in a backwards motion of your bike which can and often will impede the rider(s) behind you. The important thing is to be smooth and to step over the top and focus on pushing down as you stand up, not stop pedaling then stand up... some people suggest to shift to a harder gear when you stand, and then shift to an easier gear when you shift when you sit down. This is a technique that takes practice and awareness. But sometimes knowing about it is half the battle. I would estimate that if you haven't heard of the wheel punt, or backwards punt... or some similar term, then I would expect that the likelyhood is probably pretty high that you do it.

Your turn.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Don't ignore your tires. wipe off your tires after the brake not before it. And do wipe them off

Don't swerve. learn to look backwards AND keep your same line.

Don't pump it up. Optimal tire pressure and max pressure compasity are not the same thing

Again, don't swerve! Maintain a predictable path as far to the right as safe. Constant lateral movement is a danger to yourself.

Don't be unprepared. Carry a spare, a pump and tire lever

Don't be an idiot. Wear your helmet. You won't look cool in a trauma ward.

Don't ignore others. Offer help when you pass someone in need. You'll need the same some day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
"Don't be unprepared."

This is great advice and goes far beyond having a tube and pump with you.

Don't be the guy/girl that starts a 60 mile ride in 95 degree weather with a half full water bottle and then half way through the ride asks if anybody has any water.

Don't be the guy/girl that always has the bike that rattles/squeaks/throws/drops the chain/won't shift, etc and needs mechanical triage on EVERY ride.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Always bring $5 bucks on any ride or a phone. (assuming away from civilization that most ride to)

Because sometimes you'll need food if you get lost, or a ride home.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
DON'T ride no-handed in a pack. You can never react fast enough to sudden moves of others. Crash into someone while riding no-handed & you will NEVER live it down (if you live at all).

DON'T tell experienced riders what to do 'cause you read it in last month's Bicycling.

·
half-fast
7,403 Posts
Don't buy a presta tubed bike without buying a presta pump. Especially if you just started the cleated shoe thing. That's a sh!tty way to walk home.

Don't remove your dork disk without being one million percent sure you totally understand the limit screws, and that you have adjusted them properly, and that you have tested this function to your satisfaction. This is an even worser walk, because you are carrying a bike. The bike doesn't roll once the rear wheel is destroyed.

Don't eat everything you can see at the feed stop at your first century. You'll be sorry a few miles later.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Don't be the moeron who heads out on a 50 mile ride with no water bottles.

Don't start an out-and-back ride with a tailwind.

Don't count on that tailwind being there when you turn around, either.

Learn to be comfortable on your bike.

Don't flip off cars, no matter how much they piss you off.

Don't ride like a jerk. Imagine your mom is following you down the road. If she'd be embarrassed by what you are doing or if she'd give you a major lecture for that stunt you just pulled in traffic, don't do it.

Don't forget to enjoy yourself- If yer on yet another "training ride," ask yourself "what, exactly, am I training for?" If you can't answer that question, slow down.

Don't be sucked in to anyone else's dogma- you can put 10 speed dura ace on a lugged steel frame, and you can put flat bars on a carbon frame. Just because Grant said it, or Eddy did it, or Lance swears by it or the fast guy down at the bike shop says so, doesn't mean it's right for you.

Ride your own ride.

If riding makes you hate life, you're doing it wrong.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Cross chains and women

DON'T ride cross chained. Learn how to use your gears!

DON'T p!ss off my wife. Hint - read the tips here so I DON'T have to listen to her biotch about the new moreon who showed up for the ride.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
DON'T be lax about maintaining your bike. Take care of minor problems before they become big problems that have you walking home or thumbing for a ride. Nothing is worse than a ride you can't finish due to a mechaincal problem.

DON'T lube your chain with WD-40. Get a proper lubricant at your LBS. They should be able to recommend to the proper one for the conditions in which you'll be riding. Otherwise, do a search on how to make homebrew (admittedly, I use homebrew).

DON'T ration out your water if you happen to be running low. Dehyrdation can lead to poor judgement, and rationing out your fluids when you're already dehydrated only increases the chances of making a poor choice.

As others have mentioned, DON'T hop on the bike without checking your tire pressures. You can avoid a lot of flats by making sure you're running enough pressure.

DON'T offer assistance to a fellow cyclist because you expect that cyclist to repay YOU. You'll be pissing away any good karma you might have received. Instead, hope that they can return the favor to someone else who needs it. The cycling gods will protect you if you handle things this way, and you'll feel better about being able to lend a hand to a cyclist in need.

On riding in a paceline:

DON'T get into the middle of a paceline unless you're willing to pull. Either stay to the back and let everyone rotate through, or let the group go.

If you decide to get in with a paceline, DON'T pull so long and hard that your tongue is dragging on the pavement, just do what you can (even if only for 10 sec.) and pull off.

If you get in with a paceline, DON'T ever get up to second wheel and then pull off when first wheel pulls off. There is a guy in my club who always does this when he's behind me, and I go to pull off. He's been with us for years, so he knows better but does it anyway. After he does this, I wait for the next roller or hill and lay on the pedals to drop him since he's not as good a climber as the others who usually end up in the paceline.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Paceline Phaux Pas

Run1stBike2nd said:
On riding in a paceline:

DON'T get into the middle of a paceline unless you're willing to pull. Either stay to the back and let everyone rotate through, or let the group go...
DON'T pull from the rear. If you are on a t-shirt charity ride and in a long paceline do not come screaming up from the back and hop in front of the paceline so you can do your share. Simply sit in and wait for your turn as you naturally rotate to the front. If I am up front pulling I will peel off when done. Most likely I am happy where I am, leading at my pace and not having the stress of following some squirrels wheel.

DON'T use your brakes. Learn how to control your speed by using the wind and looking forward and anticipating the pace. Ask someone smooth and experienced to teach you the tricks.

DON'T pedal, pedal, coast... Keep a steady speed and learn how to soft pedal.

·
I like the BIG RING
160 Posts
Definite dont's

Don't tell your wife how much the bike cost.
Don't leave the receipt for your new bike lying around.
Don't forget the two preceding don'ts.

Seriously,

Don't leave home without ID. (Unless your name is really john Doe)
Don't forget to "go" before you get on the bike.
Don't forget the chamois cream.
Don't try to ride a wheelie on a road bike.
Don't ride at dusk/dawn without a light or reflective clothing or both.

DO - Ride Hard, Have fun, DON'T be a JERK! :thumbsup:

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Don't race dogs uphill. You'll lose.
Don't adjust your helmet while riding. Wait till you stop.
Don't listen to ******* motorists. Ignore them..
Don't brag
Don't over inflate tires
Don't brag

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't spit while riding in a pack. Sure, it sounds funny, but just wait until you get a huge yellow oyster launched onto your calf...

Don't take the kids to the local park/paths/trails if they are still learning to ride. (hint: if the training wheels are still on their bike, they aren't ready). I'm all for you wanting to encourage your kids to ride, but it's just too dangerous.

If you have to stop to answer your cell phone, move off of the path. Coming to a stop and standing in the middle of the path while talking on your cell phone is a bad idea. Yea, you think it would be obvious, but I'm surprised how many riders do it.

·
Cat 3 in TT, Cat 6 in Rd.
226 Posts
DON'T forget to take a day off now and then. Your body needs it and it will help you stay more cavalier about cycling.

DON'T forget that you need to eat within an hour after you ride. Chocolate milk is a good recovery drink in a pinch. (I like Recoverite w/ Orange Juice.... it tastes like a dreamsicle!)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.