Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Road Bike Review,
I promised to let you know when my new book was in. "The Tour" is a sequel to my Benjamin Franklin Award Winner, "The Race." In the new book, Ben Barnes must deal with issues related to the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs. The early reviews have exceeded my highest expectations.

I just received my inventory, and they books look great. They won't be on store shelves until April, but if you are interested in getting your copy now, you can go to this page:

http://www.DaveShields.com/order.html

Tailwinds,
Dave Shields

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the weirdest coincidence ever. I got back from my ride a little bit ago and for some reason your previous book popped in to my head. And then I remembered that you had a sequel coming out. I check the forums and bam, the most recent post is this one about your new book. This must mean that I am destined to purchase the new book. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's no coincidence, El Daverino. I was using mind control! I can't wait to hear what you think of the new book.
Dave Shields

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dave Shields said:
Hi Road Bike Review,
I promised to let you know when my new book was in. "The Tour" is a sequel to my Benjamin Franklin Award Winner, "The Race." In the new book, Ben Barnes must deal with issues related to the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs. The early reviews have exceeded my highest expectations.

I just received my inventory, and they books look great. They won't be on store shelves until April, but if you are interested in getting your copy now, you can go to this page:

http://www.DaveShields.com/order.html

Tailwinds,
Dave Shields

Dave,

I just ordered two of each book. I can't think of a funny way for you to sign them so I will leave that up to you! Ron is a rookie rider trying to find his way. His nickname is "Tinman" because he has no heart. Thanks.

Good Luck with the book,

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for this opportunity to order early. I really enjoyed The Race and looking forward to The Tour.

Scot

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just ordered one

The Race was a great "quick" read, as I mentioned to you at the Moab Century Tour. The only thing I didn't like about it, was it was over so fast. If I remember correctly, you said The Tour, would be a longer book. I'm hoping for at least double the length of The Race.
Thanks for posting the link here, to purchase the book early.

It was nice to have the chance to shoot the breeze with you in Moab. Hope to bump into you again some day out there.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
I too enjoyed the first book- just ordered my copy of the new book via your site.

Liked having the option to pay through Paypal- I had a few extra buck sitting in my account that are now doing something useful.

:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bill amc said:
The Race was a great "quick" read, as I mentioned to you at the Moab Century Tour. The only thing I didn't like about it, was it was over so fast. If I remember correctly, you said The Tour, would be a longer book. I'm hoping for at least double the length of The Race.
Thanks for posting the link here, to purchase the book early.

It was nice to have the chance to shoot the breeze with you in Moab. Hope to bump into you again some day out there.
I love those Moab events. Are you going to the Skinny Tire Festival in March? I'll be there. "The Tour" isn't twice as long as "The Race." It's about 30% longer by word count. My first novel, "The Pendulum's Path" was twice as long as "The Race." If you enjoy my other books I'm confident that you'll like that one as well. There's a deal on my Web site where you can grab a copy for free if you buy three other books.

Thanks for all the great vibes, everybody. Once you read the new book please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good luck with the new novel Dave. I enjoyed your last one very much and have looked forward to this one coming out. I just ordered a copy.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Hello, Mr. Shields

Glad to see your post here. I ran across "The Race" in a store in Springdale on a trip to Zion Park a couple of years ago. Loved it. Glad to hear there's a sequel. I will be ordering.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JCavilia said:
Glad to see your post here. I ran across "The Race" in a store in Springdale on a trip to Zion Park a couple of years ago. Loved it. Glad to hear there's a sequel. I will be ordering.
Hey JCav,
This is very cool. A year ago a woman who used to live across the street from my parents house when I grew up found out about my novel and asked if she could take some on consignment to try to sell in the shops of her new town of Springdale. I figured that I might as well try because it takes a million little breaks to make a career as an author, but I didn't have high hopes. Now I discover that her efforts paid off. Thanks for posting this! Please let me know what you think of the new book once you read it.
Dave
http://www.DaveShields.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm so excited

Hi Dave,

I just reread The Race over new years. My daughter had pulled it off the shelf and I started to leaf through it. Then I was hooked all over again.

I stayed up way too late that weekend reading your book again. Thanks for the good times. I have also read The Pedulum's Path. I enjoy this one as well but it made me so very angry at times. I know that these are fictional characters but I'm sure you know people like Martin's father. Your characters were very well developed and Martin's father was such a [email protected] I have not finished it so don't reveal anything yet.

Imagine finding a book about cycling and red rock country that I love so much. Then to find out you'd written one about climbing the very mountains I know and love that hold the best skiing outside of Jackson. ;->.

I think the reason I like your books so much is that I've driven the roads you write about, have skiied in those mountains and hiked in those desert lands. I am transported back to those wonderful places when I read your books. You're very lucky to live in a land as maginicent as Utah.

Back in 1997 I read Desert Solitare. Once I finished it I sold my sport bike, bought a dual sport and rode from Virginia to Moab. I gobbled every Abbey book I could find and have been back to Utah many times. We almost moved to Salt Lake but just couldn't get past the local governmental policies. I am still in love with Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta is the best) and the geography of canyon country and will hopefully be able to spend more then a few weeks in your beautiful state.

Sorry for rambling. I just get excited when I think about that part of the country. Keep up the good work and I'll be sure to pop on over to your website and pick up The Tour.

Cheers,

Sean

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sean,
I spend as much of my time as possible at Alta, but I love Jackson Hole too (though I'm not about to say that it's better than Utah skiing). The canyons you're talking about are the places I love, and it's been an absolute dream come true to make a living writing about them and the sports that I love. I'm glad you're enjoying The Pendulum's Path. Thanks for your support!
Cheers,
Dave Shields

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ordered

A few friends of mine were talking about your books the other day and I asked if I could perhaps borrow a book, they both didn't want to part with theirs and so here I am. I can't wait. They gave nothing but the best of reviews.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Springdale

Dave Shields said:
Hey JCav,
This is very cool. A year ago a woman who used to live across the street from my parents house when I grew up found out about my novel and asked if she could take some on consignment to try to sell in the shops of her new town of Springdale. I figured that I might as well try because it takes a million little breaks to make a career as an author, but I didn't have high hopes. Now I discover that her efforts paid off. Thanks for posting this! Please let me know what you think of the new book once you read it.
Dave
Pretty lucky timing for me, it seems. It was in August '04, which must have been very shortly after your acquaintance distributed the books. I don't remember the name of the shop, but it was a very nicely maintained souvenir/clothing/convenience store attached to a nice restaurant on the main drag, and they had the books very prominently displayed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wish

Dave Shields said:
I love those Moab events. Are you going to the Skinny Tire Festival in March? I'll be there. "The Tour" isn't twice as long as "The Race." It's about 30% longer by word count. My first novel, "The Pendulum's Path" was twice as long as "The Race." If you enjoy my other books I'm confident that you'll like that one as well. There's a deal on my Web site where you can grab a copy for free if you buy three other books.

Thanks for all the great vibes, everybody. Once you read the new book please let me know what you think.
I had been planning on going to the Skinny Tire Festival, but some unexpected circumstances have made it seem pretty much impossible for me to fly out there. There is still a very small chance it will happen. If I make it, I will say hello to you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dysfunctional ******* said:
A few friends of mine were talking about your books the other day and I asked if I could perhaps borrow a book, they both didn't want to part with theirs and so here I am. I can't wait. They gave nothing but the best of reviews.
That's a writer's dream come true - people who say great things about a book but won't share their copy. Tell your friends I said, "Thanks!" ;-)

I'm only halfway kidding with the comment above. I recently spoke with the Chairman of the Board of a major cycling company and he said, "One of our board members bought your book and liked it so much that he shared it with all of the rest of us. We all read that one book. Funny, huh?"

I chuckled, but I couldn't help thinking to myself, it's fantastic to hear that they all liked it, but can't a room full of millionaires spring for a couple of books?
Dave

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Sorry Dave, guilty

Dave Shields said:
That's a writer's dream come true - people who say great things about a book but won't share their copy. Tell your friends I said, "Thanks!" ;-)

I'm only halfway kidding with the comment above. I recently spoke with the Chairman of the Board of a major cycling company and he said, "One of our board members bought your book and liked it so much that he shared it with all of the rest of us. We all read that one book. Funny, huh?"

I chuckled, but I couldn't help thinking to myself, it's fantastic to hear that they all liked it, but can't a room full of millionaires spring for a couple of books?
Dave
My copy has been making the rounds amongst local riders for over a year, it's way beyond my 6 degrees so I'll probably never see it again.

You know a book that is pass worthy is a really good book, so don't take it too hard.

Scot

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Scot_Gore said:
My copy has been making the rounds amongst local riders for over a year, it's way beyond my 6 degrees so I'll probably never see it again.

You know a book that is pass worthy is a really good book, so don't take it too hard.

Scot
Hmm. Maybe I need to tell the binder not to glue them together so well. Is it possible to get them to self-destruct after two or three reads?

Of course, I'm happy that people feel like my story is worth sharing ... except for when it comes time to put food on the table for my starving children (cue the depressing violin music right here).

I guess I'll cross my fingers that I eventually get a movie deal, then I should get a nice payday and everybody will be happy.
Tailwinds,
Dave Shields

1 - 20 of 29 Posts