Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breakaways always get caught. Sprint finishes; meh. Team Sky is obviously going to control thing until the end. The formula for winning has been established and any drama has been eliminated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sagan being out hasn't helped. That was as stupid, misguided, and incorrect single decision I've seen in sports. How could a decision making group be so wrong.

Maybe Aru can make it interesting.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Breakaways always get caught. Sprint finishes; meh. Team Sky is obviously going to control thing until the end. The formula for winning has been established and any drama has been eliminated.
Become? It has been that way for a long while.

Sagan being out hasn't helped. That was as stupid, misguided, and incorrect single decision I've seen in sports. How could a decision making group be so wrong.
Maybe Aru can make it interesting.

O really?

Sagan was basically a shoe-in automatic for the green jersey since before the tour. Him being in wouldn't have made for interest for anyone other than his fan-base.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
O really?

Sagan was basically a shoe-in automatic for the green jersey since before the tour. Him being in wouldn't have made for interest for anyone other than his fan-base.
[/FONT]
Agree with this. His being there was exciting for his fan base. Him being out thus his fan base looses interest. Not a surprise. Nothing to complain about either. There are plenty of us who are fans of Valverde that totally lost interest in the Tour when he got hurt with a season ending injury. His still being in this race may have made it more exciting on a few stages, but not a guarantee.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
I hoping the morrow's stage will provide some excitement.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Agree with this. His being there was exciting for his fan base. Him being out thus his fan base looses interest. Not a surprise. Nothing to complain about either. There are plenty of us who are fans of Valverde that totally lost interest in the Tour when he got hurt with a season ending injury. His still being in this race may have made it more exciting on a few stages, but not a guarantee.

Arguably the least predictable most interesting classification in grand tour racing today...is the Lanterne Rouge. You never know who will have it or how long they'll keep it from year to year.

Olivier Le Gac just lost it, today, to Luke Rowe by 30 seconds. Both about 2 hours down on GC.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
bye
don't let the door hit you on the way out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was watching a recent stage and Quintana drifted back to his team car. Christian Vande Velde made a comment that none of his Movistar team mates were near him. He follows it with something like maybe they all have given up trying to win. I thought it was hysterical.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I was watching a recent stage and Quintana drifted back to his team car. Christian Vande Velde made a comment that none of his Movistar team mates were near him. He follows it with something like maybe they all have given up trying to win. I thought it was hysterical.
Well I think there's more to his comment than what he said. After Valverde got hurt, buried in the press release the team put out they made a comment, we must put all our efforts into getting Alejandro healthy our season is over. Also if you've watched the team and/or read comments from team members they are totally lost and have no direction at all. We are basically watching the team fall apart which is not fully surprising. When Valverde was banned for doping in 2010 the team fell apparent and did not recover until he got back in 2012. This team is doing the same thing right now. Also remember Vande Velde knows Valverde and several other members of the team. He may not know them well depending on how good his Spanish is, but he does know a few of the guys on that team.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Similarly, Porte trying to hang with sprinters on I think stage 2's uphill sprint finish, seemed like he'd given up on winning the GC, and was trying for a stage that he wasn't going to win. And then another stage had two BMC riders off in a break or something doing their own thing. BMC didn't have the Sky/Postal commitment to all work for one person.

Froom/Sky have had this race sewn up for months, they selected/bought better support riders, and have made/motivated them to work for Froome's GC win, and nothing else (yet).

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Similarly, Porte trying to hang with sprinters on I think stage 2's uphill sprint finish, seemed like he'd given up on winning the GC, and was trying for a stage that he wasn't going to win. And then another stage had two BMC riders off in a break or something doing their own thing. BMC didn't have the Sky/Postal commitment to all work for one person.

Froom/Sky have had this race sewn up for months, they selected/bought better support riders, and have made/motivated them to work for Froome's GC win, and nothing else (yet).
Yep; as well as perfecting doping doses/frequency, etc........

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
I continue to love the Tour de France. And all the grand tours. They're like novels. They're like long-form TV series where recurring characters battle it out in each episode.

It's not the outcome that's so interesting. It's the process. The day-by-day struggle. It's watching young bucks make their presence felt, current stars doing their best to maintain their grip, and fading stars trying to prove they still matter.

There's danger at every corner. At every pothole and piece of road furniture. There are the crazy fans. There's the battle against exhaustion and injury. Will your favorite stay upright and be able to fight again another day? Will the authorities descend on the peloton and capriciously toss somebody out? Will the King of the Peloton pompously assert his authority and order the race to stop so he can blow his nose? Yes, there's comedy, too. Venality and bravery ever exist side by side, cheek to jowl. It doesn't hurt that the action plays out against extraordinarily beautiful backdrops.

To me denigrating the grand tours because the outcome is less than in doubt is like denigrating a romantic novel because it ends with "And they lived happily ever after."

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I continue to love the Tour de France. And all the grand tours. They're like novels. They're like long-form TV series where recurring characters battle it out in each episode.

It's not the outcome that's so interesting. It's the process. The day-by-day struggle. It's watching young bucks make their presence felt, current stars doing their best to maintain their grip, and fading stars trying to prove they still matter.

There's danger at every corner. At every pothole and piece of road furniture. There are the crazy fans. There's the battle against exhaustion and injury. Will your favorite stay upright and be able to fight again another day? Will the authorities descend on the peloton and capriciously toss somebody out? Will the King of the Peloton pompously assert his authority and order the race to stop so he can blow his nose? Yes, there's comedy, too. Venality and bravery ever exist side by side, cheek to jowl. It doesn't hurt that the action plays out against extraordinarily beautiful backdrops.

To me denigrating the grand tours because the outcome is less than in doubt is like denigrating a romantic novel because it ends with "And they lived happily ever after."
I'm with you...there's plenty to like even if your favorite rider or team isn't in the mix.

after watching a stage it's almost impossible for me to not grab the bike and go out for some miles...seeing the pros in action just inspires me to ride.

·
Registered
29,586 Posts
With all due respect to the forum, and perhaps but a few exceptions, Big Mig fabricated the formula for what the TDF has become.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
With all due respect to the forum, and perhaps but a few exceptions, Big Mig fabricated the formula for what the TDF has become.
I hated the Mig years. Mig never took any chances, never showed any panache. He just marked the other favorites in the mountains and then destroyed everyone in the TTs. When Riis finally beat him (on dope) I was elated, although it was a little sad watching Mig's face knowing that it was all over

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
That's a very interesting take.

And it definitely seems like it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Real riders don't think the TDF is ever boring. We get it, you miss Sagan's wheelies and jumping over curbs, his good looks, his goofy laugh, and his 2nd, 3d place finishes to real sprinters.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Real riders don't think the TDF is ever boring. We get it, you miss Sagan's wheelies and jumping over curbs, his good looks, his goofy laugh, and his 2nd, 3d place finishes to real sprinters.
Actually we do, this tour from the moment they announced the route promised to be on the more boring side and its surpassed those expectations, its really boring.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Have you guys been following Lance Armstrong's podcast of the Tour? His podcasts are possibly more interesting. (Don't turn my opinion into a doping debate, aight)

And for those complaining the Tour is boring, well it has been like this for the last 5 years with Sky. The Giro has been more interesting because there Sky has no control.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts