Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
OLN network on TV -- talk to your cable provider for pricing. It starts at a ridiculously early time of the day.
I think it's called Versus now. They normally replay a slightly edited version in the evening as well- but I DVR the morning show b/c it didn't have Bob Roll's ridiculous commentary on it.

Also, when they record the commentary for the evening show the commentators know who won, and they sometimes make foreshadowing comments during the race that just pisses me off!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
nkrax said:
are there any websites that will have it live?
steephill.tv (who post on here as well) always has links up to get live coverage.

Basically, I don't think you are supposed to be able to view it live in N.A. but someone finds some back door link to some Romanian site or something to patch into it. However, by the end of the tour, most of the links have been discovered and don't work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kestreljr said:
steephill.tv (who post on here as well) always has links up to get live coverage.

Basically, I don't think you are supposed to be able to view it live in N.A. but someone finds some back door link to some Romanian site or something to patch into it. However, by the end of the tour, most of the links have been discovered and don't work.
why doesn't VS just do live online and charge for it???

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
crumjack said:
Because ASO doesn't understand marketing that doesn't involve a parade of cars and banners.
I'm trying to make sense of this. Are you saying there is no internet coverage of the Tour, which I don't believe is true, because ASO doesn't make it available?

And didn't the Tour of California just sign a deal with ASO for them to promote their event because of ASO's expertise in this area?

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/news/press/2008-aso-aeg-partnership.html

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
]I'm trying to make sense of this. Are you saying there is no internet coverage of the Tour, which I don't believe is true, because ASO doesn't make it available?
Let's go back to last year. Links available to VS coverage all over the web for the first week or so of the Tour. Somebody, reports I read blamed ASO, got upset and had the links pulled. BTW I think I watched more of the commercials that week than I did the rest of the Tour while watching in the evening on TV.

Sure I could try the international links that rarely work or get invited to some super secret torrent site that most likely will be blocked at work, but why make it so hard?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
crumjack said:
Let's go back to last year. Links available to VS coverage all over the web for the first week or so of the Tour. Somebody, reports I read blamed ASO, got upset and had the links pulled. BTW I think I watched more of the commercials that week than I did the rest of the Tour while watching in the evening on TV.

Sure I could try the international links that rarely work or get invited to some super secret torrent site that most likely will be blocked at work, but why make it so hard?
If VS was providing a video feed over the internet, it almost certainly means they payed ASO for those rights. I believe that was the case or else cycling.tv would likely have shown the race. If it was stopped, it was probably because VS stopped it because it was a pay service. ASO would have already been paid and would have no interest in stopping the broadcast.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
From MediaWeek: Versus has US TV rights to the TdF through 2013. They are also the official Tour Website, which I take to mean that they can host content, but not provide live IPTV feed.
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_display/news/cable-tv/e3i26acd61f6a775f850394cddb3d98a0ae

And this from the Versus web site: http://oln.dayport.com/nw/article/view/71828/?tf=OLNPressCenter_articles.tpl&UserDef=true

MarketWatch says the deal cost Versus $27.5M, which they describe as "a relatively low price tag." http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid={26D2031D-F731-4A95-9732-9D4EB7911E81}

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
from the VS website below: maybe not internet streaming, but sounds like more than enough options to watch live or tivo (let's just hope they fired the director who managed to go to commercial every time there's a critical move):

the network will, on average air 14 hours of race action per day. Daily coverage includes a pre-race show followed by live morning race coverage, race action replays four times daily and an expanded primetime show. During the key mountain stages VERSUS will provide extended coverage beginning, some days, at 6:30 a.m. ET. Start times will vary depending on stages and rest days; a complete schedule is available at VERSUS.com.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Mootsie said:
Which companies pay bazillions to participate in and one of the reasons why the tour is still "free".
There's a saying about better to be lucky than good. Nothing like living off of your forefathers coat tails...

Again, why not let the silly Americans have access to watch live online? Doesn't have to be free. I think ASO is leaving money on the table.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
crumjack said:
Again, why not let the silly Americans have access to watch live online? Doesn't have to be free. I think ASO is leaving money on the table.
I couldn't find any reference to an on-line transmission agreement for the TdF - Americn or otherwise. Something tells me ASO is still worried about their mainstream TV rights management, perhaps at the expense of reaching the modern internet viewer.

If was in charge of Versus, I'd probably resist any attempt by ASO to license internet distribution. I've just spent $27.5M on cable rights and I want that to be a rock-solid venue for all potential viewers.

As a viewer, however, I'm not happy. My cable system requires I take an enhanced packaqe in order to receive VS, said package requiring a service visit to set up. I'd pay a dollar a day to get it on the internet and it would be a lot less hassle.

JSR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the problem with live internet streaming of the content the same problem that Formula1 racing has, where the the federation that allows all commercial rights to the content so tight fisted going as far as deleting you tube videos of any content or is this just bad marketing on their part?

Those VS commercials for the tour are pretty interesting though go check out www.takebackthetour.com/ for scheduling info.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Applequest said:
Is the problem with live internet streaming of the content the same problem that Formula1 racing has, where the the federation that allows all commercial rights to the content so tight fisted going as far as deleting you tube videos of any content or is this just bad marketing on their part?

Those VS commercials for the tour are pretty interesting though go check out www.takebackthetour.com/ for scheduling info.
Interesting point but there are Tour clips all over youtube. They seem to stay online and I would guess they help sell some videos. I know MLB is extremely tight with game footage. Clips might make it a day before getting pulled but they have been successful at selling online viewing for $100 plus for the season.

JSR makes a good point about VS wanting to protect their turf. Maybe it would cost them a bit much to stream online or kill off evening ratings. Still, would be great to watch it at work instead of reading the online updates. There's a reason I have a lull in business come July!:D

PS to be fair, ASO does a fantastic job organizing the tour. I recognize that a ton of work has to be done when it comes to organization (route, logistics, etc) to pull the event off. Maybe that focus along with the desire to screw the UCI has caused them to overlook this area of opportunity.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.