Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I'm on the hunt for the ultimate commuter jacket. I have a long list of jackets which for one reason or another just didn't work out for me. I ride in rainy, windy, and snowy conditions a lot, so a jacket that can take that abuse is a must. I'm out of ideas at this point. Do you have any suggestions?

Here is my list of requirements:
Pit zips
Pockets
Water/wind proof
Excellent ventilation
Highly breathable (Please avoid starting a discussion on how breathable fabrics don't work. I choose to use them. Thanks.)
Dark color so it doesn't show a lot of dirt and grime.

The jackets I've already tried:

Showers Pass Elite 2.0 - The new material they are using for the cuffs absorbs a tremendous amount of water, soaks my shirt cuffs underneath, and takes over 12 hours to dry.

Showers Pass Touring Jacket - Received a defective jacket which fell apart after two weeks. Replaced with the Elite 2.0 above.

Lowe Alpine Cliff Jacket - Zippers on two different jackets broke in the exact same place within two months.

Teva E-Vent Jacket - Zipper died. Not fixable.

Fox Stormblock Jacket - Lousy ventilation.

J&G Waterproof Breathable Jacket - Poor breathability. Only comes in yellow.

Castelli Jacket - Old and no longer waterproof. No pockets.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Z.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Ziemas said:
Once again I'm on the hunt for the ultimate commuter jacket. I have a long list of jackets which for one reason or another just didn't work out for me. I ride in rainy, windy, and snowy conditions a lot, so a jacket that can take that abuse is a must. I'm out of ideas at this point. Do you have any suggestions?

Here is my list of requirements:
Pit zips
Pockets
Water/wind proof
Excellent ventilation
Highly breathable (Please avoid starting a discussion on how breathable fabrics don't work. I choose to use them. Thanks.)
Dark color so it doesn't show a lot of dirt and grime.

The jackets I've already tried:

Showers Pass Elite 2.0 - The new material they are using for the cuffs absorbs a tremendous amount of water, soaks my shirt cuffs underneath, and takes over 12 hours to dry.

Showers Pass Touring Jacket - Received a defective jacket which fell apart after two weeks. Replaced with the Elite 2.0 above.

Lowe Alpine Cliff Jacket - Zippers on two different jackets broke in the exact same place within two months.

Teva E-Vent Jacket - Zipper died. Not fixable.

Fox Stormblock Jacket - Lousy ventilation.

J&G Waterproof Breathable Jacket - Poor breathability. Only comes in yellow.

Castelli Jacket - Old and no longer waterproof. No pockets.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Z.

I have a Showers Pass Elite but I use Descente gloves that cover the cuffs of the jacket so I don't have the same problem as you. I really like my jacket although it is too warm for me if the temps are above 45 degrees. I gets me through Nov-Feb here in the PNW when the mornings are in the low 30's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigbill said:
I have a Showers Pass Elite but I use Descente gloves that cover the cuffs of the jacket so I don't have the same problem as you. I really like my jacket although it is too warm for me if the temps are above 45 degrees. I gets me through Nov-Feb here in the PNW when the mornings are in the low 30's.
Do you have a newer or older version of the Elite? Mine is an Elite 2.0, and after talks with Kyle at Showers Pass it seems they 'improved' the cuffs (the intention was better ventilation with the cuffs scooping air) with a new neoprene material that soaks up water. The old cuffs were a rubberized material.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
But breathable fabrics don't work ;)

It rains all the time here, and I just use a cheap Gill jacket with massive pit zips. I have a 66 North breathable jacket, and a nice Sugoi breathable jacket, but generally go with the non-breathable rain jacket when it is really wet. My Castelli is too warm, and receives winter (rain) duty.

I would ask yourself why out of all of those jackets "none of them work." I believe the answer is because no jacket really works. I have been on the same quest as you, and deal with it by just riding slower in the rain so I don't get wet from the inside out (sweat).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
filtersweep said:
But breathable fabrics don't work ;)

It rains all the time here, and I just use a cheap Gill jacket with massive pit zips. I have a 66 North breathable jacket, and a nice Sugoi breathable jacket, but generally go with the non-breathable rain jacket when it is really wet. My Castelli is too warm, and receives winter (rain) duty.

I would ask yourself why out of all of those jackets "none of them work." I believe the answer is because no jacket really works. I have been on the same quest as you, and deal with it by just riding slower in the rain so I don't get wet from the inside out (sweat).
Actually most of the problems have been from either poor workmanship or waterproof zippers failing.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
bigbill said:
That's a great jacket. And as far as jackets like that go, all the ventilation and breathability make it usable up into the 50s. At least for me.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
That's a great jacket. And as far as jackets like that go, all the ventilation and breathability make it usable up into the 50s. At least for me.
I am a human heater plus my commute has many climbs. Climbing at 7-8 mph in temps greater than the low 40's turns makes me feel like I am in a sauna.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Current production seems to have the fatal error of extremely absorbent cuffs. There are none left in XL with the old style rubberized cuffs except for in red. It's really a shame that they tried to improve a jacket that by all accounts was damn fine, and screwed up in the process.

·
Hoopy Frood
706 Posts
I like Marmot jackets and use a basic Precip for my commute when it's rainy. If I had a longer commute or had the money to burn, I'd get one of their Rush jackets:

http://marmot.com/spring_2008/mens/outerwear/shells/rush_jacket/overview

Available in dark colors, good vents, wind/waterproof, and breathable.

I generally heat up and sweat a lot and the Marmot jackets are the only ones which don't contribute to that problem.

YMMV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.