Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo, me and the ball and chain were discussing the ultimate fred. What we have so far is world champ jersey, disco shorts, Madone 5.9 with DA triple and a short highrise stem, Lonestar shoes and helmet, mountain bike pedals, oakley M frames. What would your ultimate fred have?

·
Registered
185 Posts
mtwash125 said:
Soooo, me and the ball and chain were discussing the ultimate fred. What we have so far is world champ jersey, disco shorts, Madone 5.9 with DA triple and a short highrise stem, Lonestar shoes and helmet, mountain bike pedals, oakley M frames. What would your ultimate fred have?
To me, the ulitmate Fred is someone who is so insecure that they need to spend time worrying about what someone else is wearing or riding. :rolleyes: If they are out there on a bike I could give a rip what anyone else rides or wears, at least they are out there pushing pedals. :rolleyes: *and no, I don't own any of the above mentioned items*

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
You're mixing Fred with poseur.

mtwash125 said:
Fred = unsophisticated cyclist
poseur = phoney

A Fred would never have a world champ jersey, Madone, or Dura Ace - he wouldn't even know what they are.

·
Registered
77 Posts
mtwash125 said:
Take it to www.bikeforums.net They love this kind of stuff.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
The obligatory photo

Someone has to post it so it might as well be me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ouch. . . this was not meant to be some great debate as to what matters more, riding or appearances or any combination there of, this is simply the result of two exhausted collegiate racer's minds desperatley trying to concentrate on something that doesnt get graded, if even for one second. Sorry to offend anyones delicate sensabilities, this was meant to be fun.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
mtwash125 said:

You've got to be kidding me. Who gives what someone else wears or rides? And if a guy with some coin buys a nice rig but for fitness reasons or bad knees wants a triple, who are you to say that HE'S the one with the problem?

Grow up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahah sorry to steal your race number, its my time up the mountain my first time. And dont worry, my desk drawer is full of race numbers and my mom does have mine next to my picture. And please jtolleson, im not saying that i care what they ride, just saying lets have some fun here, you do honestly realize that we are adults who dress in full body condoms and ride bicycles for fun, there is really nothing serious about that. You should see my team when we have fred rides, cause none of us care what we wear. For that matter a teammate wore a long sleeve skinsuit for 20 hours from a race in philly to florida, so im not saying that i care, only that we should have fun with it. Ease up on the 'roid rage. Theres a guy in my batallion on that stuff and its not good. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
p.s. this whole thing started when i ran out of clean socks today and had to wear a world champ set that my boss gave me when they didnt fit her (she is a world champ) and my girlfriend made fun of them. SO LIGHTEN UP!!:p

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
'roid rage?

Puhleeze. The only sign of too many hormones is your desire to look down your "collegiate racer" nose at some unfit hobbyist on a nice rig. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

You asked, I opined. Enjoy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no seriously, steroids are bad, this guy is really really really really moody, and i dont think its healthy to eat that much protein. His farts are foul. But that has nothing to do with anything else. The only thing I looked down my nose at is my f&@kin "Before The Law: An Introduction to the Legal Process" because i sat on my glasses and broke the frames so its giving me a hell of a headache to read it. So i am certainly not looking down my nose at a recreational rider with a large bank account, on the contrary i am looking up at them as i brown-nose, because i make my living off of them in the summer. If they want that world champ jersey, Ill get it for them and personally squeeze them into it, and if they want a happy ending, who knows. . .they might lucky if they spring for a serotta. Just kidding. . .kind of. . .;)
Just please love me!!!!! IM SOOOO WONWEY!!! Well not really, but i just wanted to have a little fun. And theres no kitchen in this dorm, though if you count the microwave under the bed as one, than where am i supposed to go, cause i am certainly unwilling to sleep in the hall. Makes romantic moments rather difficult. Rugburn and all. . .

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,259 Posts
Oooh. Everybody is so sensitive today. My wife saw me on the road this afternoon (she was in her car, I didn't see her), and she mentioned that I looked a little Fredly. My jersey was too loose. My seatpost wasn't high enough. My helmet had a visor. I chuckled. Then I went into the other room. And cried.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
*waaahhhh*!

WE care what other people wear. Not as in, really, it cuts to the heart, but we care. How many people say "oh, we don't care about hollywood" and still laugh when Bjork wears a friggin' SWAN on stage? It's what we do.

Laughing at a FICTICIOUS fred is perfectly okay.

·
Registered
727 Posts
wow, the sensitivity in here.....we need to rename this "the maxi-pad forum"
mtwash125 isn't viciously hacking down fellow cyclists...he's looking for a little good-natured humor. if a disco-wearing, lonestar atmos sporting, colnago world champ edition-riding novice wants to ride with me, i'll oblige. but i'm still gonna chuckle when i see him pluggin along at 20k/hr. it doesn't make me a bad person.

enough explaining to the metrosexuals in here.
to answer the original question, you have it pretty well-covered i think. i agree with one poster that said you're confusing posers and fred's. your description was of a poser. a fred would be wearing a bell influx with a visor, a nashbar jersey, and baggies or underwear under tights.
to continue the poser-wear topic, i would say that our poseur would need a selle san marco Magma saddle...the most stupid, useless, bling-tastic component around.
to me, a poser would be more likely to be riding something like a colnago or a pinarello. i think low-level trek's are most popular for fred's....high-level treks like the 5.9 are ridden by some richer freds, but mostly i think my people that just like riding their bikes. colnagos and pinarellos are more of a status thing.
my main contribution for our super-poser's ride would have to be this:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...5124&sku=16685&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
one word: WHY?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have mountain bike pedals, I thought they would be easier in traffic since I commute. I think they are. I have a pannier rack on the back of my bike, the same bike I use week by week on group rides. Sometimes I feel silly, but then I just think "resistance training".

I don't wear any clothing that has UCI/pro tour logos on it. My partner and I felt it was important to know who Lance Armstrong was and have at least watched a tdf or two before we put on a discovery channel jersey....

·
Registered
49 Posts
This dude is pretty fredish to me...

Some dude from a Singaporean cycling website. He seems pretty much obsessed with Lance Armstrong, yellow jersies, yellow reflective stickers and his 'time trial' position. He is the only dude that dares to wear full Disco/USPS kit and the yellow jersey to local races. Too bad he does not have an engine anywhere near Lance's to back it up. A real comical sight to behold. Check him out:

http://togoparts.com/showroom/viewpic.php?srid=3&file=20060312195152064.jpg

http://togoparts.com/showroom/viewpic.php?srid=3&file=20060128202752623.jpg

:p

·
Registered
49 Posts
Peter5 said:
I don't wear any clothing that has UCI/pro tour logos on it. My partner and I felt it was important to know who Lance Armstrong was and have at least watched a tdf or two before we put on a discovery channel jersey....
Same here. I only own one Disco jersey top only because it was given to me free. I never buy UCI/Pro Team gear cause I feel that I simply do not ride fast enought to be worthy of the kit. Something about being in a pro team jersy and no being able to ride strongly bugs me. I am always in my team kit or some plain jersy because of this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh gosh, I was wondering what the original poster meant when he said 'Disco shorts'....now I get it.

Disco = Discovery Channel.

See this is the futility of this thread...newbies reading the thread wearing their Discovery channel kit will not know that the finger is being pointed at them :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts