Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding next to a guy on Sunday and was hearing a weird sound. It went tick-tick when he slowed like a spoke magnet rubbing but when he sped up it went away and the sound was all uneven. "What is that friggin sound", I asked him. I was puzzled and never heard anything like it! He told me someone at the shop he worked at had cut the innertube and put a small bb in the tire. Then they pached it! Thats awesome! Today at work I was half way tempted to dismount a tire on a service writers truck and stick a 16 oz. mnt. dew bottle with a lug nut inside it!

But this is fighting kind of stuff! If you did this crap to me you would have hell to pay!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to be the mechanic for all the fellas I downhill MTBed with. I had a couple of marble-sized steel ball bearings that I picked up at an auto parts store. When folks started getting under my skin (or I just felt mischievious) I'd drop them down in the seat tube of their bikes. The bikes sounded and felt like they were completely falling apart. hehehe

·
Just one more switchback
237 Posts
A friend of mine that worked at the LBS packed half of the seat tube of a guys brand new Fat Chance mtb with ball bearings and then stuffed a shop rag in so he could adjust the saddle height. The guy was obsessed with the weight of the bike. When he picked up it he had a fit because it was so heavy. They let him ride it for a couple of weeks before telling him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Done several things...

When I was racing collegiate for SDSU, UCLA asked us to keep their bikes at the hotel for a reason I can't remember. Being the nices guys there we where, we tooks the plugs of and put in a few M&M's in their. The next day they came by to pick up the bikes right before conference championships and they where freaking out. Once they realized what is was, they just had a good laugh.

Another teammate packed his buddies bike with spokes. It scared the hell out of his friend, especially on descents. His bike sounded like the welds where coming loose.

Finally, the best one was when a teammate should up for a meeting with his bike on the roof. Well, one of the guys went outside and took the bike off and hid it in the house where the meeting was taking place. Guy totally lost it for a few minutes until we felt pity on him and returned the bike. Cruel but funny.

·
Registered
51 Posts
An oldy but a goody

We used to make a hissing sound (simulating air coming out of a tire) on hills when we were in races. Most people would look down at their tires and the rest of us would break away. Cruel but effective.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
the bull said:
I was riding next to a guy on Sunday and was hearing a weird sound. It went tick-tick when he slowed like a spoke magnet rubbing but when he sped up it went away and the sound was all uneven. "What is that friggin sound", I asked him. I was puzzled and never heard anything like it! He told me someone at the shop he worked at had cut the innertube and put a small bb in the tire. Then they pached it! Thats awesome! Today at work I was half way tempted to dismount a tire on a service writers truck and stick a 16 oz. mnt. dew bottle with a lug nut inside it!

But this is fighting kind of stuff! If you did this crap to me you would have hell to pay!
I've heard several others to watch out for:

taking the valve cores out of tires and filling the tube with water

shoving a spoke into a cork/stopper, putting that into the bottom of someone's seatpost, and waiting till the tinkling starts

etc.

Mike

·
The Edge
205 Posts
JELLIOT said:
We used to make a hissing sound (simulating air coming out of a tire) on hills when we were in races. Most people would look down at their tires and the rest of us would break away. Cruel but effective.

Someone did that at the start line of the road race in Greenville on Saturday!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Another

At the staging area for a ride/race, if a new arrival is socially engaged or otherwise distracted from their unpacked vehicle, assuming they have a fork-mount back rack, you swipe their front wheel and hide it.... then sit back and watch the panic set in as they picture their front wheel back at home in their driveway/garage. (If you can't get the front wheel, swiping shoes will have the same effect :)

Not always an easy prank to pull off, but priceless when you do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ask any shop guy, there is always another shop guy that uses the shop as his personal bike garage. And if they say there isn't...it's them. So on a slow off season sunday we pulled this guys newest bike he was storing and worked it over. It was a GT Zaskar LE, with all the latest and greatest(this was a few years ago) that came in @ 20lbs. All we heard during his build up was how light and cool this thing would be. We decided it needed about 3 steel bb spindles hidden in an innertube-in the seat tube, water in the tires, more bb's in the saddle bag to help it out with weight. And if that wouldn't piss him off we threw in a variation on the ball bearing trick, we put a dab of grease in his riserbar-and then a bearing...so it was time-release! He picked it up at the next day, rode out and tried hopping a curb. We pitched in and bought him a new 517 for the rear as he cased it so hard it flatspotted and then leaked water. I've never seen such a look of confusion. We came clean about the weight additives, but didn't say anything about the bb in the handlebar. He ripped the bike apart twice before he figured realized there was something in his handle bar.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cranks

Ever hear of pulling the cranks at a Century rest stop and putting them back on so that they're both in the same position?

Some of this stuff is funny, but you would really have to know the guy and his bike, else I would imagine some pretty unhappy people.

G-reg's prank is a little over the top for me. Please don't mess with my bike, okay?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.