Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In contrast to Creaky's thread about the wonderful sound of the B-17's Pratt & Whitney R-1690 radial engines, the ghastly rumble/hum of the German V1 rocket motors (just from listening to the sound on historical film footage) makes my skin crawl. In real life, this had to rank up there with the worst sounds in the world.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Actually from what I've read the worst sound was the sound of a V1 engine shutting off. That meant it was ready to drop from the sky and hit it's target. If it went silent, you went for cover.

G

·
My father grew up during the war in Europe.

I remember as a boy hearing him tell me about the sound the JU-87 made when it went into it's dive.

They had, if you remember, small spinners on the leading edge of the wheel struts for the sole purpose of generating the "screech"

I can't imagine what it would have been like.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avstuka.html

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I think a worse sound is to hear "Incoming".

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VaughnA said:
Actually from what I've read the worst sound was the sound of a V1 engine shutting off. That meant it was ready to drop from the sky and hit it's target. If it went silent, you went for cover.

yeah, I was gonna mention that.

But there's something about the actual sound of the V1 motor -- even if one had no idea that the V1 was a deadly weapon -- that is inherently evil and menacing sounding.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
I suppose it depends on which end of the trajectory you're on for both weapons (that is what they are, after all).

I'm pretty sure the citizens of Berlin liked the sound of those beautiful radial P&W engines as much as the citizens of London liked hearing the V1/V2 coming in.

They both sound like victory going out, but approaching during a time of war is probably a different story.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Nowhere close...

Obviously, you've never heard the archival tape of my wife's snoring.

Or the gentle midnight hiss of greyhound flatuence.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Or the UNGENTLE midnight hiss of TWO bassett hounds at work .............
The other grey swallowed a squeaker, so we know to take cover. A little less dreadful that way.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
For sure the buzz bomb did not make warm happy and fuzzy sounds. The science behind how the engine design operated I always found fascinating though, in sort of a Wankel engine kind of obtuse way.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ericm979 said:
You can hear what the V1 sounds like in person if you go to an SRL show:
http://www.srl.org/machines/v1/

It's loud, especially when they aim the exhaust end at the audience.

That test site in the video looked really legitimate and safe -- testing an experiemental rebuild/reproduction of an engine near all kinds of random junk and less than two steps from two buildings, with dudes randomly walking past the nozzle with zero communication while that thing was wound up and ready to fire, not to mention the untethered portable tents set up in the blast zone. :thumbsup: :mad2:

I wonder if the firemen were invited to the party before it started, or if they were summoned via a 911 call during?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
My mother grew up in the Hague during WWII about a mile and a half from a V2 launch site. These launches scared the crap out of people because the quality of the engines was dodgy and quite a few crashed and exploded where they fell shortly after lift off. The most freadful sound to her probably was the sound of several tonnes of high explosives raining down on her neighborhood one night due to a navigational error by the RAF. They had set out to destroy the launch sites but destroyed a few thousand homes instead, killing 500+ people (not counting the 400+ "missing") and rendering some 30,000 people homeless. As Kurt Vonnegut would say: so it goes.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
BenWA said:
That test site in the video looked really legitimate and safe -- testing an experiemental rebuild/reproduction of an engine near all kinds of random junk and less than two steps from two buildings, with dudes randomly walking past the nozzle with zero communication while that thing was wound up and ready to fire, not to mention the untethered portable tents set up in the blast zone. :thumbsup: :mad2:

I wonder if the firemen were invited to the party before it started, or if they were summoned via a 911 call during?
They're friends of mine. An SRL organizer's rule at the shows? When cops or firemen show up asking for the guy in charge, even if he's right beside you, shrug and I say "I have no clue" :D :thumbsup:

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Ben - after a while, pulse jets get totally predictable, you have to build them pretty crappy for a catastrophe to take place.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
murbike said:
I'm pretty sure the citizens of Berlin liked the sound of those beautiful radial P&W engines as much as the citizens of London liked hearing the V1/V2 coming in.
I'm with you on that one. I have a tough time these days finding glamor in any plane designed for war.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts