Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a user and proponent of Campy UN chains connected with the Wippermann 10S1 Connex link. I have always sourced them from Excel Sports. However it appears Wipperman is no longer making specific links since they have trimmed their own line of chains. They now have one chain series for 10 spd and it appears also just one link. I recently ordered three 10S1 links from Excel. They are marked "10-speed" instead of "10S1". They are definitely wider, but I did not measure them with a caliper. Comparing to a 10S1 link though, the pins are definitely longer. The packaging for the 10S1 link used to have "6.05 mm" on the box, and the original link had "6.2 mm" on the box. The new packing just has "10 speed" on the box. The part numbers assigned by Excel are the same, so they are ordering these thinking they are 10S1 but they definitely are not.

I know from (many) previous postings on this subject that the wider link will work with the Campy UN chain, but as C-40 puts it "the solution is not elegant". I guess I can use these links with a Shimano 10spd chain if I want to go that route. The other links available for the UN chain (from previous postings) are SRAM Powerlock (not removable), Superlink IV (reports of clunks and high wear) and the KMC link which I have never seen.

At this point, when my stock of 10S1 links runs out I am likley going to join future Campy UN chains using the SRAM connector. This is effectively the same as connecting using the Campy HD link but much easier. I will just do chain cleaning on the bike, even though I do prefer removal. I actually believe the use of connectors is better for 10spd chains, because pressing pins on the narrow chains leaves little room for error. Plus the Campy HD pin is notoriously fussy.

· Registered
3,863 Posts
I've used Wipperman chains for years, I started to use KMC's. They shift better when new than the Wipperman's. Wipperman's also chewed up my cassettes and chainrings (SS version). There was a clip on Velonews by Lennard Zinn about this. You can get a Forte KMC from Performance, on sale for $21.99. I've had no problems with them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.