Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to hijack the DSotM thread so here we go.

Growing up I never liked all the bands that your were "supposed" to like. Never liked The Beatles, The Stones, Bruce Springsteen, etc. I didn't (much) like The Who (though I owned Who's Next and Who Are You?) or The Doors either. Then (back in the early 80's) I read No One Here Gets Out Alive and it totally turned me around as far as digging The Doors.

I recently won a coffee table book called Roadwork by Tom Wright. While the book has stories about many bands like Rod Stewart and the Faces, the Rolling Stones, the Eagles, Joe Walsh and the James Gang, and many others I really enjoyed the stories of Wright's college days with Pete Townsend and now I'm really interested in all things Pete Townsend. So I guess I have to buy some Who CDs.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Have fun with this. The Who catalog is amazing. I highly recommend Quadraphenia and Tommy as well as the solo works by Pete Townsend. I had an opportunity in my late teens to meet and hang out with Keith Moon for a short period of time. As wacked as he was it was cool to know him before his tragic death.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I didn't want to hijack the DSotM thread so here we go.

Growing up I never liked all the bands that your were "supposed" to like. Never liked The Beatles, The Stones, Bruce Springsteen, etc. I didn't (much) like The Who (though I owned Who's Next and Who Are You?) or The Doors either. Then (back in the early 80's) I read No One Here Gets Out Alive and it totally turned me around as far as digging The Doors.

I recently won a coffee table book called Roadwork by Tom Wright. While the book has stories about many bands like Rod Stewart and the Faces, the Rolling Stones, the Eagles, Joe Walsh and the James Gang, and many others I really enjoyed the stories of Wright's college days with Pete Townsend and now I'm really interested in all things Pete Townsend. So I guess I have to buy some Who CDs.
go rent or buy the rockumentary called The Kids are Alright. Here's one segment (which was from from The ROlling Stones Rock and Roll Circus)--they were the original punks IMO. Check Keith Moon on drums...what a wildman.
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FlBip8CV1P8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Being a bass player, Entwistle is (was :( ) one of my favorites. Not much of a life coach, but a h#!! of a player and could still blow your mind up until the end.

I have their Live at Prince Albert Hall from about Y2K that had the originals with Zak Starkey (Ringo's son) on drums. He's about as close as you'll get to Keith Moon although a little more "refined" but that's how the other guys are too (exception being that Townsend's still a fan of telling people to F*(! off). This is a good one to get too for a "new" show. I didn't really get into them until later myself...

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Yep, Quadrophenia and Tommy are two of the best albums ever. Keith Moon was a nut, you had to love him. I didn't appreciate the Who until my wife got me a couple of albums. They are now probably my favorite band.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
VaughnA said:
Yep, Quadrophenia and Tommy are two of the best albums ever. Keith Moon was a nut, you had to love him. I didn't appreciate the Who until my wife got me a couple of albums. They are now probably my favorite band.
Ironic that it wasn't alcohol that ultimately killed Moon, but an OD of legal prescription pills meant to curb his desire for booze.
Moon was Paul McCartney's guest at a film preview of The Buddy Holly Story on the evening of 6 September 1978. After dining with Paul and Linda McCartney, Moon and his girlfriend, Annette Walter-Lax, returned to a flat on loan from Harry Nilsson in Curzon Place, London (near Shepherd Market), where Moon died of an overdose of Clomethiazole (Heminevrin). The medication was a sedative he had been prescribed to alleviate his alcohol withdrawal symptoms as he tried to go dry on his own at home; he was desperate to get clean, but was terrified of another stay in the psychiatric hospital for in-patient detoxification. However, Clomethiazole is specifically contraindicated for unsupervised home detox due to its addictiveness, tendency to rapidly induce drug tolerance, and dangerously high risk of death when mixed with alcohol.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-28">[29]</sup> The pills were also prescribed by a new doctor, Dr. Geoffrey Dymond, who was unaware of Moon's recklessly impulsive nature and long history of prescription sedative abuse. He had given Moon a full bottle of 100 pills, and instructed him to take one whenever he felt a craving for alcohol (but not more than 3 per day). The police determined there were 32 pills in his system, with the digestion of 6 being sufficient to cause his death, and the other 26 of which were still undissolved when he died.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-29">[30]</sup> Moon died in the room in which Cass Elliot of The Mamas & the Papas had died four years earlier.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Interesting note about Hawkwind...Lemmy of Motorhead was kicked out for doing too many drugs. How many drugs does one have to do to get kicked out of Hawkwind? The mind boggles. <object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzJfInW9Kx4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
The Who share space at the top of the rock heap. Other bands could be said to be their equal, but there's never been any band that was better. No other band ever combined intensity and virtuosity the way they did. As edgy, propulsive and emotionally exposed as the best punk bands, but with the intelligence and chops of the tweakiest of prog rock outfits. A powerhouse of an ensemble.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
My son is a relay operator for hearing impaired telephone users. He attributes his job security to the Who.

Unfortunately he just got laid off (whole shift disappeared, the company lost the contract)

·
Registered
361 Posts
+1 on renting The Kids are Alright. Check out on Youtube "Won't Get Fooled Again" from The Kids... Right after the lasers Daultry screams and Pete slides across the stage in slo-mo. I think this is one of the greatest moments in rock!!! I showed that to my son when he was about 5 and all he could do was pump his fist and yell out "YES!!!" That says something. You should also check out the song "Pure and Easy" -both the Who version and the solo Pete. Andy

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
when they played this at alpine valley back in 1987 it started raining during the very end. that blew my eighth grade mind.

so did the amount of pills offered to me. never experienced so many people willing to share before. or since. some lady wanted get with me, too. but my sister was there. and i was probably 20 years younger than her.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,153 Posts
Modern Day Beach Boys

I'm a Gigantic Who fan and I must say I wish they would follow their own advice: I wish they would die before they get (any) old[er]. I'm not that old to have seen them in their heyday but I went to several of their "Last" tours ('80's & '90's) and . . . meh. All their recorded work was lacking as well. I mean, C'mon, really. "Maryann with the shaky hands"? WTF?

Were they really shined was in their live performances. Keith Moon really pushed and propelled their live shows. I have one of their better bootlegs ("Tales from the WHO"). If you can find it. Grab it. Talk about incendiary.

The Who rest in peace (already).

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
That first Who clip makes me feel really old. :(

(and it doesn't even matter if I look way better than Roger Daltry does now)

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
I was more of a Who fan in their early years. My Generation, the Kids are Alright, I can see for Miles, Pictures of Lily, Happy Jack. Loved Entwistles bass lines, and Moons drumming. Later stuff I was more meh about. Maybe because they went from being more on the fringe, to being "artists". I also read that in the early days, there were some other guitarists doing Townsends tracks in the studio. And don't forget how pissed they were with Hendrix at Monterey. I also have no proof to this, but my brother saw Hermans Hermits in the mid 60's and said the Who opened for them. I have yet to find if this is true or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts