Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I've had my fill of group rides for a while.

I'm just sick of folks who do not have the slightest iota of situational awareness or common sense.

Last week one of group ran a stop sign and got sideswiped by a car. The poor bicycle was a total loss, luckily the rider was not seriously hurt.

This weekend, after a safety brief reemphasizing obeying traffic rules, one of the lead pack ran a red light. If you live in Temecula/Murrieta suburbia, it was at the intersection of Margarita and Winchester Rd. Yes a major, busy intersection.

Same intersection, I was with the group who didn't make it across, I had to tell people not to stop and stand in the dedicated right turn lane. Seriously, WTF? You won't do it in your car, why would you do it on a bicycle?

In another occurrence, (on Ynez and Santiago) one of them got an earful from a motorist just moments after I reminded him not to stop in the straight/right turn lane while we were waiting to make a left on the dedicated left turn lane.

Of course, most of these riders are drivers too. Heck very few ride to the ride. The level of stupid that I have to share the road with scares me sometimes.

I might come across as the self appointed traffic enforcer/fun sponge but I just feel that the bad example dense cyclists set reflects on all of us and as someone who spends most times riding solo, I really don't need any motorist harassment I might earn by association.

Edit: Corrected spelling of "seriously"

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
...... I really don't need any motorist harassment I might earn by association.
Being an old man... many of my wife's friends are mature women. I can't tell you how many of these older women have expressed their dislike of cyclists: wearing tights, riding fast and reckless in traffic, and flipping them "the bird".

Cycling and cyclist don't seem to have the great reputations of other sports. But then.... other sports aren't played on the roads during peoples commute to or from work. :D

Motorist make mistakes... I make mistakes when driving and when cycling. I try to let it roll off my back.

·
Registered
865 Posts
i confess to stopping in the dedicated turn lane on our ride just this past saturday. we all stood there for 30 seconds trying to find the map. then it (thankfully not a car) hit us, whoa--we better move it to the side of the road.

ok, we may be forgetful on occasion when riding, but generally find cyclists to be very careful when they (cyclists) are driving their vehicles and encounter other cyclists on the road. the same cannot be said for motorists in general.

also, ask your wife's friends how they would react if a guy driving a dualie towing a 20 foot boat tried to squeeze by them on a two-lane road while rounding a curve AND holding his lane (i.e. the one you are and HAVE to be in--either that or the trees off to the side of said road). i suspect they might say he deserves to be flipped off.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
...... i suspect they might say he deserves to be flipped off.
They "deserve" to be pulled from their truck and beaten about a bit (or maybe NOT). That is what goes through my mind anyway... not obscene gestures. But I don't think that is legal... let alone proper, polite, or civilized.

But it would be cowardly to compromise with a simple obscene hand gesture (as well as also, illegal, improper, impolite, and uncivilized). And it looks silly to see an adult making childlike overtures in public. I never learned how that two wrongs... made anything right... anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.