Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The only dragons slain were personal. But ohh the treasure I brought back!

On Oct 2 I returned from a 14 day (11 days riding) bike tour from Albuquerque NM to Grand Canyon AZ and back. Here's a selection of photos in generally chronological order.

Days 1 & 2. Route; Albuquerque to Grants NM to Gallup NM

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Days3, 4& 5

Gallup NM to Holbrook AZ to Flagstaff AZ to Grand Canyon AZ

(sorry, doubled up on that one photo)

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At Grand Canyon

We had two days off at the canyon. The first day I led a hike on the Hermit and Boucher Trails.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Return trip days 8,9, &10

Grand Canyon AZ to Tuba City AZ to Mexican Hat UT to Chinle AZ

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At Canyon de Chelly

One day off at Canyon de Chelly. A group of us hiked part of the canyon with Navajo guides.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Final push

The last three days route; Chinle AZ to Gallup NM to Grants NM to Albuquerque NM.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final thoughs

My total mileage for 11 days riding was 1,050. I missed about 40 miles one day due to a crash (I'm ok).

Here's a shameless plug for PACTour. This is the third event I have done with this organization and have loved every single one. Never have I been so challenged as a cylist, yet felt so totally supported as well. Check them out at www.pactour.com

Here's our map. And ok, one shot of me. As you can see I'm not really a hobbit.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Great ride report. The combination of cycling and hiking looks like extra fun.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Oh man, oh man, oh man!!

And you didn't invite us because???? :cryin:

BTW fab pix! :thumbsup:

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought about you and Miss M a lot on this trip. You guys would have absolutly been in your element. Should have linked you to it months ago.

Unfortunately PACTour isn't doing it next year. Ridge of the Rockies maybe???

Pix didn't turn out too bad for a silly little point and shoot.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
All those flats and not a Lounge jersey in sight; there goes that myth.

Looks like a great time. Welcome home. :)

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Looks like an awesome time Breezy! :cool:

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
That looks like my kind of tour -- supported, relatively flat and great scenery. I will have to check it out for a future trip.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tarwheel2 said:
That looks like my kind of tour -- supported, relatively flat and great scenery. I will have to check it out for a future trip.

Compared to some mountain tours I have done it was flattish. I think our biggest climbing day was around 4000 ft. But flat is relative. These long long low grade climbs can be surprisingly challenging. Coming out of Tuba City over to Kayenta we literally spent 4 hours going the first 55 miles up a continuous 2% grade in just enough of a headwind to p*ss you off. And remember the altitude. Most of this tour was between 5500 and 8000 feet elevation.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Slim Again said:
A lot of wide, open spaces ... I'd love to do that ride.

Great report. Lucky you!

Where'd that rain come from?

And, what's up with that freaky grill?
Well, rain generally comes form the sky. Seriously, it was a front that came through overnight and had pretty much passed us by mid-morning. It did mean we had to start in the rain, which I hate. (Holbrook AZ)

The grill is at a place in Mexican Hat UT called "The Swinging Steak." Anyone who watched Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt" on Food Network may recognize it. Menu choices were basically "how big do you want your cow?" Only 4 items on the menu, 24 oz steak, 12 oz steak, 8 oz ground steak burger, or vegie burger. All dinners come with beans, salad and a big ol' slice of Texas Toast. No bun on the burger, salad already comes dressed with Italian, no substitutions, and don't ask for cheese. We ate every bite.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts