Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 8th, riding mid-afternoon and I'm chilly becuase I don't have full leg warmers on, just knee warmers!!! S/S base layer, S/S jersey, arm warmers, wind vest, knee warmers and I can't get warmed up at 1:00PM?
Luckily by the end of the week they're forcasting upper 60s. Will feel like a heat wave.

There's a winter driving warning for the WA Cascade passes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uhmmm, move. I left Maryland 30 years ago and never looked back.

Sure, I piss and moan because according to the weather people, summer doesn't start in Seattle until July 12th (seriously, that's what they say) and it's usually over the first week of September, but for the most part I love the weather here. It's just that we have barely hit 60F for the last 10 days. We should be able to count on upper 60s now. Right now (10AM) it is 48F and raining.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I must be a mutant... The warm weather and even scorching hot weather makes me want to ride more... I'm in NJ where we've had 90+ the last 2 days...

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Southeast Idaho: We're supposed to get into the 70s today but I think that might be like only the 4th or 5th time so far this year. We hit 80 once about three weeks ago. Forcast for the rest of the week - Thunderstorms, highs NEAR 60.

For cryin' out loud!!!!

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I'm with you

R1000 said:
I must be a mutant... The warm weather and even scorching hot weather makes me want to ride more... I'm in NJ where we've had 90+ the last 2 days...
Love the heat. Folks here in New England start moaning every time it hits 90. In a rough summer they might get all of 20 days like that. I say bring it on. I so look forward to riding without all those layers, and working up a good honest sweat. My muscles work better warm, I guess. Just hydrate like crazy and I'm good to go.

94 in Hartford right now. I'm gonna love my commute home :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
101 in Augusta, Ga yesterday. Its been around 100 every day for the last week and the forecast calls for a couple more days of this until it settles back into the low 90s. I rode yesterday and was wiped out afterward. Its too early for this much heat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Count your blessings. We've had 4 straight days of 100+ temperatures with high humidity in NC. It is awful. I would much rather ride in even subfreezing temperatures than over 100.
:rolleyes: Subfreezing? Doubt it.

Just drink more water. I can deal with the heat way better than the cold....Maybe its all the hot weather training i get over in the sand box at 120 - 130 deg. I dunno:yikes:

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
tazdag said:
June 8th, riding mid-afternoon and I'm chilly becuase I don't have full leg warmers on, just knee warmers!!! S/S base layer, S/S jersey, arm warmers, wind vest, knee warmers and I can't get warmed up at 1:00PM?
Luckily by the end of the week they're forcasting upper 60s. Will feel like a heat wave.

There's a winter driving warning for the WA Cascade passes.
It's not the cold weather I mind, in fact I rather enjoy it because I can always dress up for it.....However, it's all the freaking rain!!!!! :mad2:

I'm in the Portland area and it seems like it never stopped this year...though the Rose Festival is over now, so the weather (aside from today and tomorrow) looks to be getting much nicer and dryer.

I've actually enjoyed the 60 degree temps when it wasn't raining. A set of Bib Knickers, a long sleeve base layer and a regular jersey with some full finger gloves and I'm good to go. Throw in some rain and I'm shivering and borderline hypothermic.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I hate to fly in the face of convention, but the hot weather has been a boon
to my arthritis. I feel like a kid out there, able to push it without pain!
Oh well, one man's something or other is another man's something else or other.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
JCavilia said:
Love the heat. Folks here in New England start moaning every time it hits 90. In a rough summer they might get all of 20 days like that. I say bring it on. I so look forward to riding without all those layers, and working up a good honest sweat. My muscles work better warm, I guess. Just hydrate like crazy and I'm good to go.

Ditto. I spent the day listening to supposedly "hardcore" Mainers whine, wilt, and panic-buy every air conditioner in sight. Here's a clue, weighing 300+ doesn't make things easier.
These people live within the cruel irony of living in an area that presents nearly constant discomfort, yet they are the people least capable dealing with discomfort, and the people least motivated to leave their constant discomfort. Bring on the 100+ temps. Combined with gas prices, this will keep them inside Walmart and off the roads.
I've ridden in Tucson and Maine, in 113 degrees and -13 degrees, so it's all good to me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
it was only 97 today.

My riding buddies say the warmer it gets the faster I go.. They don't understand. The warmer it gets the slower they go.

Let's hydrate out there guys.

TT

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I'm in the best shape I've ever been in.. and yesterday I felt like I was riding through soup. Nothing I did felt fast at all.. Even a sprint felt sluggish. I don't mind warm weather. But I do mind when it goes from 60's to 90's in a few days and the humidity spikes. It's not healthy to jump like that. Sure.. mother nature doesn't care but it's a pain for those of us not used to the high heat. Sure.. 90's and humid is normal in some areas but not up here..

·
Registered
280 Posts
JCavilia said:

yup i agree.. I feel as if my muscles DO work better when they are warm... and yes I like the little extra sweat too...

I always drink lots of water daily... every since i was in the Marine corp I was taught the meaning of hydrating...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yesterday was my 5th day in a row riding in scorching central Jersey. Sunday was just unbearable. Yesterday was same temp, but not as uncomfortable. It's all about hydrating while you're NOT riding, and taking it easy while on the bike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.